I finally got it! Practice makes perfect!

9 Likes

You mean the reverse trapeze bind part? Congrats! Saw your thread earlier and figured that you just needed more practice to find the feel.

Btw, your profile says you live in NJ. Where at? Im out in the sticks, but if you know of Clinton or Phillipsburg, then im close to there.

2 Likes

Congrats!

That’s the blue/red half-swap Edge 1.5, yes? (I really like how the Edge plays and feels in the hand, despite being wider than I usually like.)

My mantra is “Never give up” (on a trick). Unfortnately, that philosophy has had me working on the 1.5 mount (as part of the McBride Rollercoaster trick) for months now. I just can’t get the rhythm of it for some reason. But I refuse to give up!

5 Likes

I remember I had a little trouble feeling natural getting into that mount when I first learned it. Are you ok at finding it from the breakaway, or are you just having trouble getting into it from the around the world part?

3 Likes

I’m not bothering with the World Tour part yet. I’m just trying to land it from a breakaway.

1 Like

When I was learning 1.5 I had a problem with getting it all in one motion and not hitting both strings.

I got it down by just getting the yoyo over my TH index, stopping, then swinging into 1.5

After that the problem was just not hitting both strings when I did do it all in one motion. To help with that I used my TH index to push the other string out a little bit so I had more space. I used the same concept to learn rewind

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m using my TH thumb to create separation between the two strings (pulling the first strand towards my body), but that doesn’t always work, especially with wider throws. But I’m still chipping away at it.

Try raising your non-throw hand while keeping it further away from your body than your throw hand, and using the momentum to swoop in and grab the string you want. Im bad at teaching, but this is what worked for me. If you are keeping your TH finger extended, and your thumb out, there should be like a forever amount of space between the strings.

2 Likes

Thank you!! I was up most of the night practicing lol, I am in South Jersey,about an hour north of Atlantic City

2 Likes

Oh I see, thats still a few hours or so from where im at unless you are closer to Philly.

I’ve been raising the NTH, and that helps, but it is really inelegant unless you are trying to do Kwijibo.

You’d think that using the thumb to pull the string away would create a lot of space, but my hands are small, and the distance shrinks rapidly in the direction of the NTH due to the angle involved, and in order to have enough length of string to avoid snagging on the TH, you end up with this very tiny target zone where the yoyo will catch the outer string without hitting the inner one.

Kwijibo is the other way though, and a bit trickier imo. But yea, id get consistent with it “inelegantly” before trying to make it smooth. Whatever allows you to land it consistently, and then let style come later. I mean, I can land it with my hands level (you basically have to yank the throw hand pointer into the string), but is that really part of the trick?

Just watch how he does it. It looks good, and his non-throw hand is always higher.

1 Like

This might help, go to the two string over both hands, and try to create a slack (pinch your non throwhand string and put ur throwhand a tiny bit closer to your non throwhand) and then go into the “mounting” part of the 1.5 mount. A common problem is that the strings are too tightly pulled, resulting in a bounce, instead of mount.

I’m actually 15 minutes from Philadelphia

Do you know where deptford is?

Im only GPS friendly with Philly, so im not sure where that is. I go to places like Kung Fu Necktie, Union Transfer, Underground Arts, Voltage Lounge, Electric Factory, Trocadero, and other concert venues all the time.

Yea it definitely is goofy at first I can land it way better than I did in this video,I was rushing lol, it was definitely difficult to keep your hands together, the closer you got your hands and the slower you throw a breakaway it’s easier to throw and catch that mountvin my opinion

1 Like

Keep working at it! That’s amazing.

1 Like