Is Yoyo a Sport to you?

Yea, i get your point and i do see how i should have said this- You won’t be going to nationals doing a double or nothing as a sport. But you have to BELEIVE it’s a sport!
[/quote]
In my opinion, it depends on the situation. What is the player planning to do while dribbling the ball? What will the yoyoer do after his double or nothing? Perhaps he will go into a Cold Fusion? Or maybe another trick? So, it can be or not be a sport.

In my opinion, it depends on the situation. What is the player planning to do while dribbling the ball? What will the yoyoer do after his double or nothing? Perhaps he will go into a Cold Fusion? Or maybe another trick? So, it can be or not be a sport.
[/quote]
Wow, this sounds stupid- Never thought of it that way!

[/quote]
So, you don’t always call basketball a sport? I do, but maybe you don’t seeing as you think yo-yoing can or cannot be a sport.

So, you don’t always call basketball a sport? I do, but maybe you don’t seeing as you think yo-yoing can or cannot be a sport.
[/quote]
Well, once again, situation. Is the person just dribbling for the heck of it, and just throwing a gravity pull for the heck of it? Or are they actually doing things?

Still, in my opinion they are both sports.

Ah, okay. I see where you are coming from now. I believe that you have persuaded me to agree with you.

They are both sports- It all depends how you think of it-

Yo-Yo: Ok, i’m going to bind for the fun of it-

Basketball: Ok, i’m gonna dribble for the fun of it and do nothing-

Different Yo-Yo: Ok, im going to show my mom my new bind!

Different Basketball: Ok, i’m going to drive the ball to try to score!

see it?

Yep. That’s what Samad said except in a different way.

Yoyoing is a sport or an art depending on context or trick types. In competition, where you are trying to score the most points by performing tricks that have the highest number of unique string touches, it is a sport. But when you make a montage video (for example) of all the cool tricks you do and you are paying attention to style over points, then it can be an art

1 Like

No. The main goal of yoyoing for me doesn’t align with the main goal of sports.

I read one thread about this on reddit a while back and it honestly baffled me how many people were saying yoyoing is a sport.

“What sports do you like to play?”

“I yoyo”

Oh gosh

Is yoyoing a sport @zslane? :rofl:

3 Likes

People can argue all day long about their opinions on whether yoyoing is a sport, but in order to properly answer this question, you need to define ‘sport’ first. I found Miriam Webster’s online dictionary definition interesting:

sport

noun

Definition of sport (Entry 2 of 3)
1a : a source of diversion : RECREATION
b : sexual play
c(1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure
(2) : a particular activity (such as an athletic game) so engaged in

So according to the dictionary, yoyoing is a sport, along with kissing I guess. Lol!

4 Likes

I’ve been asked this a lot, always say no, and invariably the yo-yoer asking is indignant. The assumption seems to be that to see it as a sport would be praise and to see it otherwise is demeaning. I believe the opposite. If you see it as fundamentally being a sport, that’s great. To me, calling it a sport would be limiting; diluting something which is much deeper and purer to fit our human compulsion to win everything. Sure it’s a sport, but it’s also a casual hobby, it’s literal child’s play, it’s certainly an art, it’s a lifestyle, or even a religion if that’s what you need it to be.

What you call yo-yoing reveals what you need it to be more than it what it actually is.

11 Likes

Beautifully said!

It is what you make of it, I personally don’t think of yoyo as a sport

To some people yoyo is a sport. To me personally it is not a sport, I don’t like sports or anything competetive.

I’m super competitive, I love competition, I love striving to win and be the best at something. Yoyoings still not a sport though

2 Likes

“It’s not a sport unless you sweat.”

2 Likes

Ahh the human need to label and compare. Yoyoing is simply yoyoing and that is as it should be.

7 Likes

That’s one way to not answer the question.

Some questions cannot be answered, but must be asked as one pursues their own truth. :face_with_monocle:

Oh my YODA! What did I say? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I broke a sweat trying to land a 3.5. So it’s a sport

1 Like