Is there a way to make this less dangerous?

*you’re, and what do you mean by this?

I wouldn’t pay attention to that comment, really stupid comments are best to ignore sometimes lol

I see what you did dere!

You’ve been given a number of suggestions for avoiding getting hit. One more I might suggest is to learn a new bind, assuming that maybe you used a trapeze bind. Those are prone to snags. On another point, I’m going to take a WAG that the mini motu was old. It probably was getting brittle and stress cracked which is most likely what cause it to come apart.

It’s 64.3g, and it’s a small yoyo. The small yoyos do more damage because the area of impact is significantly smaller. My other one is a Duncan Raptor though, and that thing has the edges of a murder weapon. I have to slow the spin before finishing the bind, or else the edges hurt my hand coming back.

I do tend to lean forward just a bit. I’ll try leaning backward for breakaways.

I suck at throwing from the side of my hand, so I’ve been throwing breakaways from the front of my hand, facing to the right. This makes it a bit harder to keep it straight, but it’s much easier to get a solid throw this way for me. I can throw straight like this, it’s just harder. Should I switch to throwing off the side of my hand?

I’ve been using a reverse trapeze bind, where it’s on a trapeze, then I swing it around to the other side of the string so the yoyo is under the throw hand.

I usually don’t have a problem determining if my Raptor snags, but it snagged every other time with the Mini Motu since it has a smaller gap. I was working on reducing these snags, but I could never get a short enough tail on my reverse trapeze bind. It’s a lot easier to gauge the tail size when it’s 6 inches instead of 1. I guess I’ll never get the chance to work that out now.

Much strait

1 Like

Noted it’s a bit late, but are you aware that the older YYJ models, including the mini motu have an adjustable gap? You can open the gap up quite a bit on those just by unscrewing the halves.

Its your choice like I said before. I don’t think it matters what side of your hand you throw off. Hell I let go of the yoyo when my hand is in the 11, or 12 O’clock position. Just make sure the yoyo is moving in a flat plane in front of you rather then in a intersecting plane. if you throw with an intersecting plain it will be coming at you on a bad bind.

One way to help prevent hitting yourself in the face is by putting your non throw hand in the way of the string. This way if the string is knotted, it will rebound around your hand and not toward your face. :wink: I have a good scar on my left eyebrow from nailing myself with an Ooch-Yo (huh… Ooch, ouch…).

There are certainly examples of this in videos, but I just can’t seem to find any right now.

x2

Search engine this> Takayasu Tanaka Worlds 2005 1A.

Watch an 8 year old Video of Takayasu using a dead stock Mini Motu for his Worlds freestyle.

And realize that if you know your equipment, you can utilize it without: bad binds, knotting, snagging and other little odd problems that may be as much lack of experience as anything else inherently ‘wrong’ with any Yoyo.

1 Like

Agreed. If you hitting yourself that much with your yoyo, you might wanna adjust your technique and practice a whole lot more.