Is there a waterproof yo-yo?

Just went swimming. As I waited for my wife I realized I couldn’t take my yo-yo. It’d get wet and the bearing would rust and I would cry. So now I have to ask if it’s been done. Is there a waterproof yo-yo? If so anyone got a link? I’m not looking to buy one, I just want to know if one exists.

Any plastic yoyo with ceramic bearings is waterproof.

Also to be frank why would you swim with a yoyo? Like what were you planning on doing?

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure aluminum yoyos are waterproof considering I’ve washed a few and they’re fine. The bearings wont rust either as long as you dry them out. Maybe just don’t leave it in your pocket when you go swimming…

3 Likes

Wouldn’t the axle rust?

And it was more the waiting on my wife and not having a yo-yo that was the problem. But I could see myself trying some stupid tricks involving water. The walk on water, I’d try and do an around the world while doing a front flip on the diving board. Idk. I think it’d be fun to try.

3 Likes

Ah ok that makes more sense. For some reason i gathered you were going to try to yoyo underwater and was questioning why you would do that. I don’t think the axle would rust though seeing as how they’re made of steel and not iron. Even then if you were afraid of that there are titanium axles that are rustproof

3 Likes

Steel is made from iron and will rust.

1 Like

Have you not heard of this thing called stainless steel? I get that tool steel will rust but even that takes time

2 Likes

Agreed, though you didn’t state stainless.

1 Like

Well now I feel like it’s just waiting to be accomplished. Underwater yo-yo tricks. They have such cool names. Hydro pump, the propeller, I want it to happen.

3 Likes

Fair fair. Either way rust doesn’t happen immediately. Boats would still be made of wood I feel if that was the case

2 Likes

You’ll want a transaxle like a Spin Star, a Play Yoyo, or even a Fireball. Poly strings can get wet and the water might even act as a lubricant.

2 Likes

The answer is yes it will. Don’t get your throws wet if you can’t help it. But they do dry out. Or at least they can dry out. Anyway jmtc.

When I take the kids to the pool I bring plastic yo-yos no wood no metal. It’s more to keep my kids from slamming my metal yo-yos into the concrete pool deck than water.

For the beach I have a hard no bearings policy fixed axle yo-yos only. Preferably no wood unless it’s a cheap legend or something.

If a throw gets wet I remove the string and bearing and blow the bearing out with compressed air. Then let everything dry.

I had an old raider that got in the ocean then left with the string on in a toy bag for a week. Pretty rusted out and had to be rebuilt. I have a plastic butterfly my kid threw in the sink then left behind the couch. That’s got some rust on the metal axle I sand off on occasion.

Leave it wet and it will rust and the damp string will not help it. Throwing a yo-yo In a humid indoor pool also generally sucks anyway so I rarely take a yoyo to an indoor pool.

That’s all I got. I often I take my ten trick with a plastic sleeve to the pool or beach cause the beach wind can make a unresponsive session really annoying and I don’t get much time to yoyo at the pool with my kids anyway.

2 Likes

The Spinworthy Survivalist is waterproof and floats.

11 Likes

I forgot about that one. I take my survivalist around a fair bit to dangerous places with concrete and let my kids beat it up over other throws. It’s been through hell and only surface marks so far. Love that thing.

3 Likes

I did not realize it floats. That’s amazing!

3 Likes

Seconded. Even with a wet string it’ll still play! (My son threw mine in a puddle last week)

2 Likes

Well now I just wanna see OP try and yoyo in water

1 Like

I have been meaning to make a yoyo from a pool noodle and call it the Swimstar. Lol.

4 Likes

Its hard to tell if yall are serious or not. Lmao. Isn’t it obvious that nobody…will ever be able to yoyo underwater? The physics will never allow it.

2 Likes