Spilled drink on yoyo

I recently got a duncan freehand and I spilled my glass of water all over the yoyo. I took it apart to dry but I’m curious what else I should do? I don’t have any yoyo bearing lube handy though I do have some mineral oil. Any tips to keep it from rusting will be appreciated.

3 Likes

Just take the bearing and use a hairdryer or compressed air to blow it out or just use your own lungs. Or sit the bearing in the sun after shaking it out.

4 Likes

just dry it off real good before putting it back together especially the string no soggy string sitting on the bearing. otherwise shouldn’t be a problem.

My son tossed one of my loop 720 in a swimming pool and its been fine at some point i cleaned the bearing and lubbed it since then but no harm has come to a yoyo that got a little wet and cleaned up right away.

The only yoyo i had that died by water was my old raider was tossed in the surf on the beach and then left in the sand toys bucket for a few days. That bearing was toast and eventually i replaced it. sand and salt water are a no go for your bearing…

4 Likes

Let it dry and keep ripping.

The lube in the bearing is hydrophobic so basically no reason to worry

3 Likes

Thanks for the help. Also while looking for a thread fo how to deal with this issue I found a “play yoyo in the shower” thread and in it they mention you can use fixed axles yoyos like the Imperial or Butterfly in the shower or rain. So is it mainly the bearing when it comes to concern after a soaking?

2 Likes

yes but even fixed axle you want to dry off the metal axle to keep it from rusting.

in the end its not a big deal especially seeing as a plastic imperial or butterfly is so cheap worse case eventually you just toss it and get a new one but yeah its hard to kill a solid fixed axle yoyo.

water alone not too terrible but do be careful about salt water or anything corrosive.

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like