Is over-under boingy-boing really this hard?

It’s been about three days now and I haven’t cracked this trick. Not even close. Did anyone else struggle this much and also have some tips?

I’m really just curious if this is normal or I’m just fundamentally not understanding how this trick operates

5 Likes

Honestly all boings really are unbelievably hard for me

4 Likes

The most recent thread re: boingy-boing. It clicks easier for some people and is extremely difficult for others.

5 Likes

I still have trouble to this day, which is why I don’t do it often. But when it lands oh happy day. That’s when you tell people that “ I ment to do that”
Good luck Sir, practice, practice, practice……tempus fugit.
Also try to only move the top string segment.

7 Likes

I feel ya! I can boing with my eyes closed, but the over-under eludes me.

5 Likes

Don’t want to call it the white whale………

3 Likes

Oh thanks for sharing! Like a complete noob I didn’t even think to try the search function first :grimacing:

Thanks for the responses everyone! It’s nice to know that it’s not just me! Clearly the mechanics of this trick take along time.

2 Likes

So we have a trick a week thread going on which this week’s challenge is a boingy combo…

Feel free to check it out. I have found the trick a week a great way to improve even though i can’t compete most the tricks.

4 Likes

You should really start with regular boingy-boings. It seems as though you have just jumped into over-unders without learning regular boingy-boings. The regular boingy-boing is already pretty difficult as it is so I suggest you start by learning that first then moving to the over-unders. Just keep in mind that the learning process is a very long and tedious process and you just have to grind through it.

I suggest that you practice keeping your left hand perfectly still in one place and ensure that your right finger only moves up and down and never side to side. An easy way to practice this up and down motion of the right hand is to go into the split bottom mount and then let go of the string on your left finger. From there, practice moving your right hand up and down in a rhythmic way.

3 Likes

I feel like the slowest learner sometimes, but I was able to get the over under first try. But dont feel bad cuz I had to have Gentrys help to learn hook some tricks just click with some people and some just don’t and they feel impossible. Just keep at it and take a break if you need!

2 Likes

boingy boing was the first trick i learned besides trapeze. I learned it in about 30 mins. I still can’t do over under 6 months later

3 Likes

It is a difficult trick that many struggle with.

I would suggest just focusing on regular boingy boing first - get it super consistent and smooth.

The under boing is almost a totally different technique. Whereas the normal boingy boing is kind of a bouncing motion, the under is achieved by what I would describe as a subtle “throw/pull” move. Moving between the two techniques requires mastery of each individually.

The under boing also has a tendency to snag up on you because as you move from under to over you can create a bind situation. Some yoyos are way more predisposed to doing this. That’s why I always do under boing on a new yoyo to test out for any snagginess in response. As you smooth your technique with the under boing you will learn when this happens and how to kind of baby the yoyo through that part if it’s one that snags more on that part.

4 Likes

Quite the contrary actually. I’ve been doing regular boings like a champion for a while now. However over-under is a completely different beast, which is besting me. Thanks for the tips though! I really appreciate you trying to help.

1 Like

I like the mindset you take with this trick. Seeing as something different as regular boing, with different mechanics might be exactly what I need to hear. I’ve been approaching this with the same technique as a regular boing. Perhaps why I’m failing every time. Cheers friend

2 Likes

Ah I see. I was judging from your response to others’ suggestion that you should look at the boingy-boing thread. It seemed as though you could’ve found the tips on regular boingy-boing useful which kinda implied you didn’t learn boingy-boing first. Now that I know this, I think you’ll find this video more helpful than my tips as my tips are aimed at regular boingy-boings. Over-unders are completely different and you need to look at it differently. I think this video really flashes out the differences between regular boingy-boings and the over-unders.

https://yoyoexpert.com/learn/056-advanced-over-under-boing-e-boing.php

2 Likes