Is it possible to smack a yoyo so hard the rim warps?

Not talking about bimetal here - I’ve heard plenty of horror stories about dislodging bimetal rings :frowning:. I’m more interested in the idea of whether its theoretically possible to hit a monometal hard enough to warp it (not just dent).

For reference, I’m curious because I slammed one of my throws against a chair really hard by accident (full force on the throw) :sweat_smile:. I also may have slight OCD because I keep checking it to make sure there’s no warpage, but that’s a convo for another day…

1 Like

You can use a caliper to check the specs and roundness of each half

1 Like

Physics and metallurgy says yes, this is theoretically possible.

4 Likes

Fair enough, lol. I was thinking more about whether it would be possible given how hard a human can throw and how strong the materials are :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely. You’d have to be purposefully looking to bend the yoyo tho. For the most part, people don’t throw their yoyos hard enough to bend the rims if it contacts something.

2 Likes

Yes.
One should treat a wound up yo-yo with respect and clear it with a controlled throw. This is a lesson I had to learn the hard wood floor way with a steel RSO mini bowl. Clearing my yo-yo could have prevent unknown string length resulting in the bowl crashing into the floor.
I throw it and feel the slight warp on one side then feel the smooth side as a reminder to clear my throws.

1 Like

Yikes! A moment of silence for roundness of your throw…

1 Like

I feel your pain. I just nailed a monometal the other day and it immediately sounded different when playing it. Feel like that couldn’t be good. It seems to be a yoyo that sounds different the tighter the axle is though so maybe it’s not so severe. I definitely messed up my shooting star hitting it off the same thing. It seems to be vibing alot more than when I got it but it’s still playable. I’m trying to learn not to care so much about vibe.

@tylerseverance @SethP

With enough caffeine and anger, anything is possible.

kgb

1 Like

Ah big yes, and it deforms differently for different materials.

Hard hits

Aluminum is deformed a flat area or a divit dug out of the aluminum. These can be dealt with minimal effect on throw.

Everyone should throw dinged aluminum throws until the bearing seat fails in my opinion.

Stainless Steel throws and rims. Bend the rim out of shape hard to true again most times. If you are trying to correct with out professional tools the home correction fixes will make it worse. In my limited experience.

Titanium take a beating you almost have to try and hurt them throws…. Sparking or hitting it with an aluminum bat to see what gets damaged more the bat or the throw that ring would be incredibly disturbing.
I have never tried the Ti abuse but I bet there is a video of both actions so you do not have to try.

Everyone have a great rest of the week.

3 Likes

My friend cracked his k2 crystal straight down the middle :skull:

2 Likes