Is it me or the yo-yo?

I can’t speak about the spin time nor throw power, but I know that spin stability comes directly from throw stability.

I’ve been learning on a cheap $10 yoyo, and it took me quite a while to get a stable throw. When I started, it would wobble a ton, and that would make it stop sooner and make it harder in general to do everything. Today, if I’m focusing, I can throw it forward so it doesn’t wobble at all, and I can throw it sideways with no wobble at least 85% of the time.

It still doesn’t spin a long time, but it’s much quieter & I can actually practice tricks.

Regardless of whether you replace the yoyo or yoyo parts for spin time / response, I would recommend spending at least a few practice sessions focusing solely on throwing straight, consistent throws.

Even if the yoyo has “vibe”, with a solid throw, it won’t be visibly wobbly.

4 Likes

I am a total beginner noob. I got back into yo-yos playing responsive, and went through most of Andre’s Intermediate tricks before starting unresponsive just a couple of months ago. My experience level is low.

Also to preface: I have relied on this board for a lot of insight and folks here are smart and very awesome. But I didn’t find that responsives like First Base or Weekender helped me early on. I found them to be light and too unstable for my beginner hands. Probably terrible for my technique :slight_smile: I play totally for fun, so I want stability and a little weight. They aren’t mentioned here much, but my first yoyo was a YoyoKing Double Agent for $25. It’s easy to hold, has really good weight and stability, and spins a surprisingly long time. Responsive but not overly responsive, which helped me practice with more room for error.

Picked it up recently and was amazed at how good it still feels to use (the shape is actually similar to the One Drop VTWO, which is now my go to for learning tricks - thanks @MoonageMin).

You can switch it to unresponsive, but by then it’s more fun to upgrade to a throw that’s a little bigger and better made. And that’s what brought me here!

3 Likes

:innocent: contrary you popular opinion I agree with @ChefCombo (and you’re always welcome Chef)

I also suggest you get a first yoyo that focuses on the responsive aspect as by the time you want to move on to an unresponsive you would probably want to upgrade anyway. If this becomes the case it’s really good to still have a responsive yoyo handy, so a yoyo with the designed focused on the responsive aspect is what I think is a great direction.

The Danish place has a ThrowRevolution Neo in stock, and so does YYE here.
This yoyo can be changed into a unresponsive yoyo if you buy and put in a C size bearing.
But the yoyo itself comes with just a half spec responsive bearing and that is what the yoyo is set up to be played as from what I can tell.
So you have the option to transform if you want later, but at the same time an awesome delrin responsive yoyo to use for both now and later on alongside another unresponsive yoyo.

:smile:

3 Likes

I made my mind.

As some of my colleagues are squatting my yoyo, we placed an order for a few different ones that we can share and try at the office.

So we ordered

• a OD Deep State - so I can try something different.
  • a Top Yo Creater - because it has 2 bearings, so we can try responsive and unresponsive.
  • an YoYofficer Apex, for the guy who does not believe it’s hard to start with learning how to bind.

…and strings (Kitty fat), and lube.

I don’t know if that’s a good choice, I know it’s not what you advised, but YOLO.
Can’t wait to receive them !

4 Likes

Yeah, what @MoonageMin said :slight_smile:. Looking at the One yoyo, it has high walls and doesn’t weigh much. And it sounds like the responsiveness is inconsistent. My novice hands would have a hard time learning to trapeze with that as well, I bet. With respect to budget plastic yoyos and the wizards that can make them fly, it’s probably not making your early journey an easy one (if that’s what you’re looking for).

The recommended Neo still has a narrow-ish gap but it looks like it has a little more room for error if you were trying to learn basic string tricks. I’m still glad I started with the one below, because it’s similar in shape to many of the modern yoyos out there. But I also quickly moved on to unresponsive once I got the hang of a basic bind and wanted more spin time, and it felt like a natural progression (I agree that once you want to go unresponsive, you should just get one that is intended for that style only). The Neo, Whip and SF PLSTC are popular responsives with others that are much better than I, so that’s probably a good way to go, ha!

1 Like

My daughter has the ONE and has made similar complaints to me. I threw it and its fine I was able to do everything that a beginner should work on. However, I am old school I learned trapeze, brain twister etc on an imperial back in the 90’s.

I think people now want it easy and to learn fast. Yo-yo is a skill and not an easy one to be good at. I think you should keep at it with the ONE and you will get there once you throw a good sleep and smooth everything out with that. When you upgrade to a “real” yo-yo you feel amazing and everything will seem so easy as you have mastered the skills of a smooth throw and other aspects that can get lost in the process.

We already know a guy like Gentry can out throw most everyone with a replay. I guess in short is the player not the tool.

If that makes sense, but then again I am old school.

4 Likes

I don’t have any of the yoyos you’ve ordered, but I’ve seen good reviews of the TopYo Creater. I do have the TopYo Impulse 2, Impulse S and Mojo. All are good with the Mojo probably the pick of the 3 - very smooth and stable.

It’s a bit redundant now since you’ve already ordered, but there are a couple available on a well known online retailer (at least here in the UK) for a low price, both of which come with a slim (responsive) and wide (unresponsive) bearing:

YoyoFactory Arrow - Plastic - doesn’t hurt too much when it hits you :slight_smile: and easy to use, plus it has a fingerspin cup.

MagicYoyo V3 - Metal and very smooth with either bearing with good spin times.

I’d say they’re both good for learning on (particularly the V3) and they’re cheap enough that you won’t mind if you bash them on the floor a few times…

2 Likes

I’d also echo what nonja121 said about the DV888. Out of the box I think it’s downright dangerous! The super thick response pads are just awful. I upgraded it with better response pads and an unresponsive bearing and it’s now an okay undersize throw, but with the upgrades I’ve spent about £35 on it and there are many much better throws for the price.

3 Likes

I always forget about the Arrow. I agree, it is a very good beginner yoyo. It stands in good company with the First Base and Sage.

2 Likes

Yeah, the Arrow is a fun yoyo. I still take mine out and about with me from time to time because people think it looks cool (mine’s the translucent yellow) and I won’t cry if I lose it…

1 Like

Man I’d go with the golyat it’s marked down to 27 bucks on yoyoexpert and it weighs 68 grams it give you the weight of a metal but the play of a plastic so it’s better for learning in my opinion.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the only Golyat color left (on YYE) is boring old white.

1 Like

Hey @Abide where in UK do you reside? :slight_smile:

If you’re looking for longer spin time, I say just go for it and get yourself an unresponsive throw; of the ones you’re looking at, my vote would be for the Wedge. Fairly inexpensive and it’s a good wide catch zone that I think helps when you’re newer.

Hey MoonageMin. I don’t like to get too specific on the Internet :eyes: but I’m in the South West.

1 Like

Oh me too!

I’m in Surrey

1 Like

Hmmm, not sure Surrey counts as the south west - we’re about 100 miles apart as the crow flies :grinning:

Although I guess for most of our American friends on here that practically makes us neighbours!

4 Likes

Ah, I take south west trains to london hahaha

Okay so not so close then ^^ got excited for a bit

1 Like

South west rail… I don’t envy you for that!

1 Like

Lol it could be worse. :slight_smile:

Well you should also join BYYA (British Yoyo association) group on Facebook too. We have a small but awesome community here.