Introducing the PDX-YO Swamp Monster

I recently designed and manufactured my first throw! Its been a community collaboration with a small group of likeminded throwers from Portland, OR. The protos arrived yesterday and we couldn’t be happier with how it turned out.

Introducing the Swamp Monster.

_MG_5800_PDXYO_SwampMonster_Proto

This is a custom original design made for the Portland group throwers inspired by elements of their favourite throws. Its full sized, relatively wide with a comfortable W shape and is heavily rim weighted for stability and spin time.

For anodization, our inspiration was the St Johns Bridge in Portland, OR. We love the copper oxide coloured teal/green paint of the bridge, and developed that into a copper oxide inspired galaxy splash style acid wash. The end result has deep blues, teal, black, browns and copper tones running through it. Like oil refracting in a puddle, or an iridescent beetles carapace.

We have only had 10 made so far by the wonderful people at FPM, but based on all the positive feedback we might do a production run and graduate our little community collab into a fledgeling brand.

Specs:

Mono metal: 6061 Alu
Width: 46mm
Dia: 56mm
Gap Width: 4.35mm
Bearing: Size C
Weight: approx 65g
Finish: Bead Blast
Ano: Galaxy Splash style ‘Copper Oxide’

More photos on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/pdx.yo/?hl=en

21 Likes

Very nice! I love the ano as well.

6 Likes

Yeah ditto very pretty colorway!

5 Likes

Very nice.

3 Likes

Nice!

4 Likes

Really liking my Swamp Monster – this is a great yo-yo, really interesting combination of shapes that plays well. It’s also crazily quiet on the string.

5 Likes

I loved the petina/copper look of the colorway on those, I should’ve snagged one

4 Likes

I wasn’t looking for a yoyo at the time these dropped, and they seemed to go super fast. I missed the awesome Copper Oxide ano. So cool looking, I just can’t bring myself to buy the black one currently available.

7 Likes

Those colors are absolutely superb. I really want one.

4 Likes

More of the same. Beautiful color way.

3 Likes

NB: this is coming back in the original awesome copper oxide acid wash colorway… soon.

It’s a really cool yo-yo in a very cool colorway so… don’t :sleeping: on this one.

8 Likes

how much was it? :moneybag:

edit: nvm I found it :ok_hand:

Hey Guys- @codinghorror thanks for passing the message along!

This second run came out really nice, amazingly the Ano is as good if not better than the first run. Can’t wait to share them with you all. This will also be the first run with our shiny new packaging.

More photos coming via Instagram tonight.

5 Likes

A little announcement that PDX-YO will be at Worlds! Looking forward to seeing some of you at the Boutique Collective table.Come buy to check out the Swamp Monster, or demo the prototype of our new Batsquatch Bi-Metal.

5 Likes

The Batsquatch

7075 Aluminum with plated SS rings.
63.3g
Center track C bearing
Dia 54.5mm
Width: 44mm

12 Likes

I don’t see the copper oxide on the preorder. Did I miss it, or is it not available yet?

I think they are talking about the OG swamp monster?

Correct- the copper oxide acid wash colorway is currently only available on the OG Swamp Monster which is available for immediate purchase. The Batsquatch is available for preorder in a range of solid shades currently:

1-Clear with copper color plated rings
2-Army Green with copper color plated rings
3-Special Edition Oh Yes Yo Collab colorway- Purple with black plated rings

4 Likes