Introduce Yourself!

Hi all!

My name is Tom and I’ve been around yoyos for a while. I got started during the boom in the late 90’s, stopped for a while and now I’m back. I’m a big fan of YYF yoyos. While expensive, they are definately worth it. I am very grateful to have this site to learn new tricks. Hope to learn much more!

Thanks,
Tom

Shout out to all the other old coots who posted before me, giving me the courage to do so!

I started yoyo-ing a few months ago, shortly after my son (11) did. He is a natural, and studies diligently, me not so much - yet! We go to the Sunshine Kite Company (local kite / yoyo shop in Redondo Beach) on the weekends, where I can be seen regularly being humbled by most of the kids (ahem Grant, Luke, Logan, Ethan, …) - but once in a while I’m able to help someone learn a new trick, which is always nice.

Name: Brad Horstkotte
Birthday: February 6, 1964 (do the math)
playing since: 3-4 months off an on - mostly off, but trying to make it more on lately
division: 1A only so far
Favorite yoyos: Dark Magic (what I use currently - borrowed); Bassalope (what I want after trying briefly at BAC)
Favorite players: Mark Montgomery
Favorite tricks: plastic whip, boing-e-boing, finally getting the hang of hand starts yay

Big thanks to Andre for this great resource, and to all you other yo-ers for sharing your tricks and knowledge!!

Hi everyone!

My name is Spencer Lusignan. I have been yoyoing for 5 months now, and my favorite yoyo is the YoYoFactory eight/8/eight. My favorite trick is Wrist Whip. My favorite player is Jensen Kimmit. I bought my first yoyo at A2Z, and it was a ProJam. When I bought that, I couldn’t even do speeper. I tried to pull it back up, but it wouldn’t go up!

Spencer :slight_smile:

Hey there, Name’s Dan, I also go by EK, Been throwing for around 3-4 months now, My main player’s a kickside, and It’s got me from Gravity Pull to Double GT’s.

I love it to death, But Right now, I’m ready to move to 4A and more advanced 1A stuff.

Currently, My favorite player is Rei Iwakura for his 4A smoothness. Though I also like Shingo Terada’s 5A as well.

hi my name is ty. i hav been yoyoing for two yrs. i curently have a dm a legacy among others. i practice every day for a few hours and always try to learn new tricks. i also love to snowboard. so hats basicaly me

Hey guys I’m Mark, I had the yoyo bug when i was younger, around 15 or so, messed around with it on and off for years. i’m about 25 now or at least i will be in a few weeks ;D what can i say i love yoyos there are a cool as heck hobby. i recently got a yomega brain, mostly for the nostalgia factor, and when i get a bit more tricks/talent and money together (the bills you get as you grow up suck) i plan on getting the YYF velocity, and offstring, and the YYJ Sigma blade Zwei, or perhaps The Dark Magic with a KonKave bearing

See you around ^.^

Name: Luke Van Oene

Nickname: the Lukiemon

Birthday: January 21, 1995

Nationality: North American

Started playing yoyo: last year but i threw a bit in first and second grade

Skill Level: really low, well im ascending rather well

Current Yoyo: Speed dial YYF - great for beginners

Favorite Yoyo: 888

Favorite Player: Yuuki Spencer, Hiroyuki Suzuki, Jason Lee, Johnnie DelValle, Andre Boulay, and Vasek Kroutil (888 rocks!)

Playing Style: 1A

Motive to keep yoyoing: It’s a childhood dream to be amazing like the people above

dude Iam from the uk to are you going to uk nats09?

Name: Dave Laurice

Nickname: The Cloverdale Kid

Birthday: October 13, 1972

Nationality: North American

Started playing yoyo: About 30 years ago- learned my first trick in November though

Skill Level: I will be amazing some day

Current Yoyo: I have a LOT of them

Favorite Yoyo: Project, M1, Peak, SPYY Addiction

Favorite Player: The guys from the One Drop Team (at least Colin and Paul) are really cool people
Playing Style: I do not know what all the A’s are- I like string tricks

Motive to keep yoyoing: To be better than my students, and because chicks dig it

Hey, someone else who was born in the 70’s.

Oooh, TCK from the One Drop forums arrived…

Atleast I think so.

I am Dakabt. I am 16 as of this Friday. I have been yoyoing for a month and learned 95% of the tricks I know from this site. Currently I am using a stock YoYoJam Journey with the caps removed. I plan on competing in the Minnesota State YoYo Competition in 2010. That’s pretty much it.

hey all,

my name is M.J, im 23 y.o… abt a week ago i was n the office and our IT man. came in with a yoyo in his hand that he was playn with ;D , i asked him whats with the yoyo man…? and we started talkin abt yoyos ;D . that conv. reminded me of the mid 90s when i was abt 8 or 10 and those coca cola yoyos with a fixed axle and cotton strings were so populer that every kid in the block had at least one, after that i went on digging the net for yoyos, and with the help of Mr.Google (god bless that site) i landed here :D… i fill n love with this site the moment i clicked the learn tab… those videos are great, so nicely made… then i started reading the blog, and seeing how every1 knws every1 here made me love this site more, so i signed up knowing that u guys will be there to help if i needed anything regarding yoyos… so i hope that i’ll have fun with u guys and make some new frnds… thanx alot to the guy n the videos, >>ur the best man<<… thanx alot to all the YYEx ppl >>u rock<<… right now i dnt have any yoyos, so i’ll need ur help guys to pick my first yoyo and to choose the best strings and accessories… thanx again to all :wink:

YYEx Rocks<<

Yeah some more Arab power!!! :wink: :wink:

Okay, choosing your first yoyo won’t be much of a problem. There is a huge range of yoyos, so here are a few of the best ones to start with.

The most important factor to consider when choosing your first yoyo is response. Since you are just starting and don’t really have any style or preferences yet, this won’t be any problem.

When you first buy a yoyo, it should start out responsive. Then eventually after a few hours of play, you will “break in” the bearing, and it will become unresponsive.

Response is basically how easily it will come back to your hand. High response means it will come back to your hand with a slight tug, but will still sleep. Low response or “Unresponsive” means that it will not come back to your hand, and will require a “Bind” to return it.
To learn more about this: Unresponsive yoyos
Just take note, all the yoyos sold on this site will be able to sleep.

Good Yoyos to Choose from:
#1 Choice for Beginners:
YoYoFactory Velocity: This yoyo has adjustable response. So, it can be responsive for your first throw, and can be unresponsive for advanced tricks. Don’t underestimate this as a beginners yoyo, this yoyo can bring you from the most basic sleeper all the way to the master tricks on this site.
To buy this: http://yoyoexpert.com/product/yoyofactory/velocity/

YoYoJam Lyn Fury: This is a really good yoyo. It should come responsive, but you will have to learn how to throw properly and “Bind” before it goes unresponsive. You should have enough time to learn how to bind and throw before it does though. It is a very professional yoyo, made for advanced play but can still be used by learners.
To buy this: http://yoyoexpert.com/product/yoyojam/lyn-fury/
Note: If you are willing to spend abt $25 more, you can buy a Hitman, which is basically a Lyn with metal weight rings. It has weight concentrated on the rims, and has potential to spin longer and be more stable than the Lyn. It will also come responsive, but become Unresponsive eventually.

Other good yoyos to begin with and learn:
Journey
SpeedMaker
Kickside
Dark Magic
X-Convict

These should all come responsive, and will become responsive after a few hours of play. They also have adjustable gaps, and should be able to play slightly responsive. Don’t assume that buying a plastic won’t get you as far as buying a metal or metal-rimmed yoyo. A plastic can do everything a metal can, unless you’re using a really bad yoyo, and you don’t practice.

Remember to practice,
and Don’t give Up! ;D

2 Likes

hey man whats up… by the way… from where d u get ur yoyos??
thanx alot…

dear rsmod123,
thanx alot 4 the nice reply… i was thinkin abt the yyf velocity and i also like the dark magic wich is the one in the learn videos… the dark magic is so cool with its long sleeping time and it spins at a constant speed for a long time but its double the price of the velocity wich every1 says is the best 4 beginners… so can the velocity spin with the same speed 4 the same time…? if not then what if i added a thin lube? does it do the trick?
so thats 4 the yoyo… now what abt the strings? wich is best?
and do i need to order extra bearings with the new yoyo or not??
i also heared abt response stickers and breaking washers… do i need those also or not…?
i knw thats alot… ;D but u knw the only way i can get all of these is the net so i want to make one order so i dnt need to wait 4 different parts… thanks alot man… YOU ARE THE BEST :smiley:

actually spin time is about your throw so even though you have a very expensive yoyo and have a sloppy throw the yoyo wont sleep long…and the DM isnt the best begginer yoyo its actually about personal preference.i also advise you not to put thin lube first even though it makes the yoyo sleep a bit longer but also it will make the yoyo unresponsive which you must bind to make it return.

Again for the strings is all about personal preference, for me i prefer 100% polyester but some might say different.i also think stock bearings are good enough but if you dont like it you can always buy a better one like kk bearings and for different types of companies they use different types of response like duncan uses friction stickers and most yoyofactories uses pads but in your case of the velocity and DM the velocity uses a adjustable starbust so you no need to get those extra response things same thing goes for the DM

hope i help!

Thanks alot man, that was helpful :wink:

thanks!!! ;D ;D