Initial TiVayder Thoughts

And here I am with a raw and a grey halfway wishing I had black, since black is Vader. Don’t worry, they all look equally good from the pics ive seen.

2 Likes

haha I hear you! I’m debating it in my head too (for a black as well). On one hand, I can totally work this throw into my hobby budget for July…on the other hand, that means I wont be able to pick up a G2 Banshee which I REALLY want.
And on the other, other hand…It’s not green! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thoughts before buying: now Nick, don’t buy the black one. It’s not gonna grind well(at all). Also me: Sure, but like what if everything was black, dude.

(Purchases black Ti-Vayder)

(Gets said yoyo): man, this really doesn’t grind that well…

It feels like an oversized OG Boss. Plays well, had some bearing issues so I’m not over the moon with it, but I like it.

3 Likes

Dang. I checked the responses on the bearings pretty thoroughly, but one must have gotten through.

Sorry man.

3 Likes

You’ll get to play a grey one next month at yo-yo club. :wink:

2 Likes

Hmm… I don’t get this at all. The OG Boss is kind of like an unstacked 888 if I recall correctly.

3 Likes

It’s been weird, it was fine for a few throws, got responsive. No big deal, changed bearing, fine for a few throws then got responsive again. Put in a freshly clean bearing, worked fine for a bit and went responsive. Cleaned the bearing post and all around that area. Worked fine again, but now I’m back to responsive. Had a similar struggle with my direwolf the first week I had it.

I meant more as in how it feels in my hand, not in how it plays. But, yeah the Boss is a beefy boy 888.

In love. No surprise here, but my initial impression is that it’s an amped up skywalker… what the skywalker was meant to be (no disrespect, skywalker is sick).

The feel has already been described pretty well I think so I’ll just say this yoyo is right in my sweet spot. Always loved this size throw, but few have it as right as this. Comparable to my stargazer v2, which isn’t surprising since I think Heath is also a big fan of that throw.

7 Likes

Finally received my Vayder today. Loving it. @vegabomb you were definitely right, the black looks great. No regrets here now that I have it in hand.
Also, 100% sold on the plutonium. Always thought I just sucked at suicides but I am hitting them consistantly with this combo. Feels like my yoyo game has stepped up a notch over night.

7 Likes

It’s a trip huh? When you get to a point where you can feel the unique qualities of equipment; and can determine weather or not they are hindering or helping you in any way.

Glad you’re digging them!

2 Likes

I really need to spend more time with it to give it a full, fair assessment, but my very initial impressions are that it is basically a titanium Mantis, but with a more interesting shape (and I really like the Mantis).

I love the Vayder shape, and I like how light and nimble it is. It doesn’t have the insane power or stability of, say, a Mowl Surveillance, but it’s not designed to, and it isn’t fair to assess it on the basis of what it is not. For what it is (a high-quality, mid-sized, non-performance throw), it is beautiful, elegant, and pleasing to play with.

However, like pretty much all titanium yoyos it “sings” when it spins (more like a high-pitched droning sound), and I’m not exactly in love with that sound; it could easily give me a headache after a while. This is not a deficiency of the TiVayder, per se, but rather a characteristic of all titanium throws.

8 Likes

That’s what I thought too!

I like how it feels heavy when you throw it, but once you start doing string tricks with it, it feels light. It’s a very peculiar characteristic that I’m quite fond of.

1 Like

It’s been interesting reading peoples’ reviews of it - tbh I was expecting a bit more “wow best yoyo evar”, but it seems like most are actually recognizing and accounting for the honeymoon phase.

I haven’t thrown mine a ton yet, but I did compare it against a DRunner and a Ti Walker and the results, initially, have been a bit surprising. I’m hoping to do a little write up this weekend on the three.

8 Likes

@LinksLegionaire Since you own a Ti Walker as well, I’ve been waiting to hear your thoughts :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I feel pretty much the same way about it that I felt about the original. (and I sold my original)
Its nice, but I am not going to fall down and wet my pants about it. It does everything well, but I wouldnt say it is the best at anything. Im glad they made this run. Now I can have one and keep it, and not worry about it or be tempted to sell it.
I am sticking to my story that the Battosai is the best yoyo VSNYY ever made.
Anyone got a pretty one to sell? :slight_smile:
Give me a Batto-ti!

5 Likes

Why do we even make yo-yos out of aluminum any more?!?! TITANIUM FOREVER

6 Likes

You…you… don’t like… the sound? :flushed:

6 Likes

The ringing sound it makes when you flick it with your fingernail has a lovely glass-bell like quality to it, but if that sound just continued unabated for minutes on end it would drive me bananas. That’s sorta what you get while it is spinning, though not as loud. It is nevertheless quite noticeable and not all together pleasant–especially when you catch it and it stops spinning and you are returned to an atmosphere of blessed silence. I think that droning vibration is at a frequency that just happens to grate on my nerves. :man_shrugging:

I’d almost rather be subjected to a noisy bearing than that high-frequency sine-wave-like tone.

2 Likes

I recommend bimetal titaniums in that case, they have MUCH reduced ringing.

1 Like