if you had $100 to spend...

Up to now I’ve kept my throws in the sub $50 category… so the question is if you you were to recommend a $100 throw (give or take a little) what would it be and why?

Probably the Genesis. It’s a really good throw overall; stable, long spin time, etc.

Probably some sort of old onedrop on the BST. Why? Because they are some of the best yoyos ever and much better than the newer ones IMO. Thes “old” ones are, P1,p2,m1,Y-FACTOR,sovereign, and the dingo and 54. All of these are very good and I epecially like the project and project 2. They are very fun to play and stable, long spinning, and small which all fits my preference. And I know a bit about projects, I have one, had 2more, and 3 on the way.

I’m a big fan of the 888. That’s what I’d recommend.

If I had $100 to spend I’d probably get two $50 YYJ yoyos (HM Pro or X-con Pro). If I wanted to spend it all in one place I’d add $5 and go for a new dif-e-yo juggernaut or rev-1.

The rev-1 is an incredible yoyo. It’s criminal how little attention it has received.

I do have $100. And I plan to give that $100, along with $40 of it’s siblings, to Andre when the purty new CLYW Chiefs coming out.

Your best bet, though, is to look around for yoyos that you think look cool. Once you find one or two, search for some reviews to see if anyone has written negative things about them. If they haven’t, and you’re still unsure, then you can make a thread with a title like, “Debating on getting X & Y” to see if anyone has anything to say about them that might turn you away. Most of the yoyos coming out today are great, but what will or wont make them great for you has to do with your preferences. And as I keep repeating on threads like this, I’ve found that your best bet is usually to go with something that you think looks cool.

yyr blink

code1 or dietz or yfactor if i can find one

For $100? Where? Sign me up!

There are so many choices, where do you start? I think jrod said it best, try some out and pick one that fits your style and what you like in a throw. Personally both the Dietz and Burnside are under or at your $100 price tag and they are both awesome players. Happy Hunting!

I appreciate the recommendations…but just so you know in order for me to ‘try them out’ I have to take the chance and order one - I live in a yoyo-wasteland - there is no place, and no one, to try before I buy - I can look at pictures and videos, but the actual in hand won’t come until I’ve parted ways with the $$$ and the postman drops it off… I’ve kind of played hit and miss so far; Velocity, Proto star, North star, DM2 and recently a PSG - the stars seem relatively the same to me (could have lived with just 1 of them)… I like my DM2, but wish it were heavier… the PSG really gives the others a run for their money (practically get 4 for the cost of one DM2)…

I read the reviews on the metal throws, none of which really translate to someone who’s really only experienced plastic ones (and the DM2)…

I just don’t want my first (and possibly only) $100-ish throw to be a disappointment

I know the feeling. For that kind of money, I want to try before I buy, just as I do with most audio gear. Mics I can read specs and figure it out.

Right now, I’ve surrendered to the fact I have to pay to play. So far I’ve done well and enjoy pretty much everything I have. Some do need mods or tweaks though, but hey, that’s life, right?

I’d say if you want to take a safe chance, you’d stay under $100 with the One Drop Burnside. It’s getting rave reviews. But, on the other side, the $45 dv888 has also received rave reviews but I know of a few haters of it. I’m not hating this yoyo, it’s actually kind of growing on me, but still, the DM2 is STILL my go-to yoyo.

You’re right that there’s always a risk factor involved that you have little to no control over. That’s just the way it is. Unless you can find a nearby club or an awesome hobby shop, there’s not much you can really do outside of “take a risk”.

If you were nearby to me, I’d meet you somewhere and you could go through my collection and at least see from what I have what you do and don’t like. But we both have a Protostar, Northstar and DM2, and I’m hoping to get a PSG, so we obviously have some similar tastes in yoyos.

Looking at my current collection, I would say that the SPYY Pro would be a nice choice if you were only going to have only one ~$100 yoyo. It fits a lot of situations quite nicely. You could compete with it if you wanted to. Nice and stable, so great for learning tricks. But at the same time, I still find it comfortable and fun for everyday use. The beadblast surface is nice for grinding. It’s full sized, but on the lower end of full sized. It’s on the wider side without going into the superwide category. And I think the acid wash looks really nice (I have the blue one). The only negative about this yoyo is that because of the shape, if the yoyo smacks you in the hand really hard, the corners can sting a little. Not bad or anything, just a little.

So if I could only have one of my nicer yoyo’s I would pick this one over something like the 54. I love the 54, but I would want something more stable to go along with it (which I do).

As for me, the only yoyo I’m interested in purchasing right now is the Chief.