Ibanezcollector

I was skimming through YouTube vids this morning when I came across Ibanezcollector’s channel. It made me sad because he was undoubtedly the dude that got me into this hobby. I had a cheap Duncan butterfly as a lot of us did for our first little yoyo, and I just remember watching his tutorials and thinking man I wanna do that I need a new yoyo haha. I was 13-14 when I started watching his videos and then learning from HighSpeed Yoyo eventually too, I’m 26 now. Brett I know you’ll probably never see this, but I just wanted to say thank you. You inspired me and so many others to pick up a yo-yo and start learning everything we can. Your chill laid back style of play, demeanor and attitude were some of the many reasons people loved watching you. I hope if it’s not yoyo, you’ve found something in your life that brings you joy again, you’ve found another community, and most importantly I hope your health is much better as well.

Some of you may be too young or too new to the hobby to know who Ibanezcollector (Brett Grimes) is. But, I highly, highly encourage you to go take a look at his old channel as well as HighSpeedYoyo. They don’t post anymore, but there are a bunch of great tutorials broken down in high speed as well as fun little videos on different throws for you to watch

14 Likes

@G2_Jake proudly took the rains and has over 162K views in this thread

2 Likes

Yep I know Jake as well! (Not personally or anything lol) He and Brett made content back in the day a little before G-Squared was created too. Great stuff, amazing throws too. Just really wish Brett was still involved ya know?

Brett is an awesome dude!!! Haven’t heard about or talked to him in forever!

3 Likes

Same here, I did see that he posts video game clips (Gran Turismo) from time to time so that made me feel better knowing he’s at least doing something and seems healthier/happier

1 Like

I am certainly no yoyo historian but before Jake stated his ‘wife’ was the ‘other half of GSquared, wasn’t Brett ‘the other half of GSquared’?

That was ‘why’ the Budding Company was named in the first place?

They had a falling out for whatever reason but the Company name didn’t need to change because Jakes’ wife is ‘also’ a G’……lol?

Brett has has some serious health issues over the years that had major impacts on his priorities.

…I have always said, ‘No matter how many good things you have going for you, if good health is t one of them, ya gotta problem’.

Brett provided some very good content, way back when people were looking for quality vids just like his.

I haven’t heard from him in awhile. I hope he’s ok?

8 Likes

Yeah something or another happened but, it’s none of our business. I hope Brett is doing well too. Hope he’s a lot a healthier. Like I said I did see some recent posts on his YT of Gran Turismo clips so that was nice to see. Went back, learned a few binds again from his tutorials, great stuff.

1 Like

man i haven’t seen the username beverchakus in like what… at least 12 years maybe even closer to 15, back when TheYo and YoYoNation reigned supreme. This thread is a trip.

8 Likes

Anyone remember the “Jake and the Fat Man” show?

3 Likes

Yessss thank you for this! I will be watching those later after work now. So happy I started this thread haha

I miss Tech Creators and toshiyotokyo as well.

2 Likes

Also Grward’s site was great. Gerard Amato.

5 Likes

@Isaac yeah dude, been about 10 years. But i’m back. I got hooked on throwing again last week. Throwing daily again. I got my homie hooked on it too, we no joke threw for 11 hours on saturday. I missed yoyoing but didn’t know it.

10 Likes

You had some great tutorials, with the Starfox (?) background music? Those were classic. I liked Bevis climbs thhe ladder, all I can do from ladder mount.

1 Like

Anyone remember Xdohls, Jeremy was his name.
Those were Extremespin days.

3 Likes

Yeah, Ibanezcollector had some great stuff, especially when it came to slacks. I’ve been yoyoing since 2004, and it’s weird to consider all the content creators that have come and gone.

@stevejspins I remember Xdohls. He had some good tutorials from what I recall. I looked on youtube and can find no trace of him. :frowning: Grward also had great tutorials.

@Beverchakus Any chance of a new 5a video? I’ve always loved your 5a stuff and it has always been the biggest inspiration on my 5a. I still watch “Aww crap some 5a” on a regular basis.

1 Like

Meanwhile I’m still out here trying to learn Guess from your tutorials.

@suspense I didn’t think anybody still watched those old tutorials. I don’t even think I remember Guess, or even most of the tricks in my videos.

1 Like

Just know there’s people like me out there that dig real deep into the youtube sphere to find tutorials.

Glad to see you post here, didn’t know where you went or how involved you were in the scene.

Also in relation to Guess - I still haven’t seen anyone do that pinky mount you did.

3 Likes

dizzo, EEB, and the ILYY guys are the only users I recall offhand. I used to enjoy getting on the YYN archive just to reminisce - hope we’re able to recover it at some point.