I need help picking Headphones

Detachable cables are a huge plus for me as well, as it’s usually the first thing to go when the headphones get bumped or stored improperly, which is often the case for a mobile user who is not overly careful.

The Numark PHX has a detachable cable (and comes with a USB one as well), and a pretty decent amount of bass (I’d focus on other ranges, too, mind you), though it can be kinda hollow, or at least underwhelming. I’ve used pairs that were used quite a bit, and own a pair myself, and they’re all still kickin’ after a good amount of time.

I’d also recommend the Shure SRH440. It has a detachable cable as well, and is more accurate and true-to-the-track than the Numarks. They aren’t primarily bass heavy, but that can be improved (or at least altered) with a simple modification. The entire range is superior in accuracy and definition than the Numarks, I feel. I’d check them out.

That’s on par with asking which is the best yoyo. Looking at what’s been said here, including my own comments, it’s all opinion, and like belly buttons…

Mine have gone through the wash 3 times, got ran over by my bike, and ripped out of my ears and iPod when I was mountain biking and still sound as good as they did new!

Sent from Ice Cream Sandwich Eatin’ Optimus V

I would probably say, however, that in this price range the Audio Technica ATH-M50’s have overwhelmingly the highest number of positive reviews and recommendations out there. Doesn’t mean they’re the best at everything, but they seem to be the safest bet. I would also personally agree with it.

This. Or go to united airlines on a school teip and help yourself to about 5 free headphones ;D

ATH-M50s are a treat. I’ve never owned a pair, but I’ve used one for an extended period of time, and I’d recommend it as well. The only thing that freaks me out is the non-detachable cable; I’m paranoid about that. If I was to get a pair, personally, I’d mod it to include a socket and removable cable, which actually isn’t all that hard, and tons of people already do it.

1 Like

What headphones should I get for under $35?
I have some Sennheiser something or others, I forget ATM, and some mono price buds.

The Sennheiser HD 202 IIs are pretty darn okay for around 25 bucks. Maybe even the HD201s if you’re not too concerned with anything above price.

Though honestly I haven’t owned many models under the $50 range as far as cans go, so I can only suggest so much. I’d say Sennheiser is a true bet, as well as any other brand I’ve mentioned.

If you want, go to Best Buy or something, try a bunch out, using your own source (unplug the cable behind the shelf and use your own iPod or whatever. Best Buy employees give me funny looks), then find one you like, and buy it for a better price on Amazon.

I’d recommend the Sony XB500. If you don’t want the bass turn it down in settings. If you look up beats vs xb500 on YouTube xb500s win every time.

The Panasonic RP-HTF600-Ss are also supposed to be fantastic for $30, but I’ve never tried them.

I’ll try them out first…not a bad idea at all. :wink:

Sol Republic Tracks, nuff said.

My music major brother owns a pair and I’ve had some extended time with them. They are sturdy, well built headphones. My brother regularly crams them into his backpack filled with textbooks and without anything protecting the headphones. Even after a couple of years doing that, they still have no problems and are still in perfect working condition. The size adjustment can be a little finicky since it can slip a bit. This mostly just keeps them from being quite as snug on your head (although a little bit of tape can help prevent the adjustment mechanism from sliding). Sound wise they are very good for the price. It’s nothing spectacular, the lows are a bit recessed and the sound in general might be a little compressed, but they are a good set of headphones.

The Shure SRH240As are also an option at $45, for both the OP and yoyoavenger, but most people would rather just spend a bit more ($90) and get the 440s, and tweak them with 840 parts.

The headband is heavy and the pads might be a bit stiff, but both are fixable: Just get a Beyerdynamic headband pad, and a pair of SRH840 earpads, since they are leagues better than the 240A and 440 pads. That’s a $30 fix and will improve comfort greatly.

But see, if you’re gonna spend $75 bucks for tweaked 240As, I’d just recommend getting 440s and doing the same if you find it necessary.

Also, I’m not sure if this is the case with the 240A, but in my 440s, there was a foam plug in the driver to minimize reverberation in the cans, since they are hollow except for the driver, which I found silly. I took out the foam plug, and put a foam disk (spare foam from cutting my yoyo case foam; it fits perfectly) in the can behind the driver to fix any echos the empty cans and missing plug would cause. It really opens up the headphones, and is quick and easy to do.

I like meelectronics for those on a budget. Also, the hifiman re-0’s are amazing items for 49. And grado is an amazing sound for those who like cans.

Ok well I decided on the audio technica quiet points. Bye. Close this thread now.

Expensive, but Bose is incredible. Audio technica is also good.

I have Meelectronics A151s as my main pair of in-ears right now, and I really enjoy them. The armature drivers can’t push as hard, but boy are the quick and clean. I also have a pair of M6s that I use when I’m outside working. They aren’t the most comfortable things in the world, and they are a bit unimpressive compared to the A151s, but they work.

Also, since it seems that other people are finding use in this thread, a lock is really unnecessary. Also, what model did you get, ATHANC7? ATHANC25?

Not trying to thread jack, but what do you guys think about fake beats?

Here’s what people have already said about Beats and their bootlegs in this thread.

TL;DR: Beats and their bootlegs sell because of marketing, brand name, and image. There are better cans out there (even at the price point of the fakes).