Fav headphones

What are your fav headphones, I need a pair of nicer ones!

Got a pair of beats solo hds. Pretty nice but my skullcandy titans are also great. Sorry not for sale though.

Budget?

Also what are you using them for?

Audio Technica ATH-M50s are a great place to start. I use mine for a travel/work set. They also make a slightly bassier model which is very similar, but I can’t recall the name. Denon AH-D5000 is my real favorite, though.

No matter what, if you’re looking at upgrading your headphones I can’t stress enough that a good amp/dac is necessary. Your headphones will only sound as good as your source will allow them to. Get one of these with your purchase: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0053KWDES/ref=aw_2nd_sims_3?pi=SL500_SS115

1 Like

Gross. Might as well use Apple earbuds.

3 Likes

I like the Bose stuff it’s really good and sound canceling.

Yes, the M50’s are some of my favorite headphones, for a low price. Great quality, and the sound quality is also amazing. Really good pair of cans, better then headphones twice the price (Looking at you, Beats). As for Bose, they are okay, but I find the sound cancelling really hinders the sound quality. There’s always a faint buzz in the background, and the sound cancelling features make the audio muddy.

I have a pair of Beats Studios, ATH-M50’s, and Bose QC15’s. Overall, the M50’s are by far the best. Audio is really balanced, unlike the Beats, which just pump up the bass, and are pretty cheap!

looking to trade for them and just normal music from my phone.

I like a lot of bass, to me beats sound good even though lots of people don’t like them.

M50’s are a great all around option.

I’m currently using slightly modified Shure SRH-440s. The foam plug in the driver was making the soundstage a little too cramped, but the cans are completely hollow, so it was boomy without them. What I did, was take the foam plugs out of the drivers, and pad the inside of the cans behind the drivers with foam discs, which opened up the soundstage without making it echo-y. For comfort, I replaced the stock pads with 840 ones, which are far superior, and applied a Beyerdynamic headband pad, which only just fits.

For the effort, I’m having a fantastic time with them, but I don’t recommend it when you’d prolly just be happy with M50s. Just feel like sharing!

I’ll add, you have to derive certain pleasure from being abused if you like Skullcandys or Beats. Or just not know any better.

Have you ever even tried the titans?

Anything made by beats or Skullcandy is terrible. It’s more like jewelry than audio gear. Even then, it still falls apart.

Do research on hi-fi boards, more research, go to a stereo shop if you have the opportunity, and don’t buy bass heavy headphones. You can always bassboost your ipod if desired. Balanced headphones leave a lot less to be desired, and are actually usable.

So you’re screwing it up before it even reaches the headphones in the first place? Oh goodie.

Bypass the built-in amplifier and jack, and go right out the tenpin into an external amplifier. Cheap option is a Fiio E6, and it’s a total darling. Just make sure your music files have a good bitrate or you’ll be hearing ALL the things that are wrong with it.

it sounds like you you really know your stuff! Have you ever tried sol republic?

I don’t need to.

1 Like

It’s a heck of a lot better than buying beats “cuz ther so goood. Thay mak me feelz lik a gangsta rappa wanabi.”

Also, I wany you to know, that I agree with you completely, Pat.

You don’t want to. I got a pair for cheap, and was thoroughly disappointed. Sound was subpar, and, like most bad ear buds, they pump up the bass. This made all other elements of the music sound pretty bad. To top it off, they broke after a week of light use, and if you know me, I am VERY careful with my stuff.

The mids and highs were drowned out by the overpowering bass.

these

sony mdr xb700s. I got them off amazon for $70 (and had a $65 credit, so basically $5) 2 or 3 years ago, and they’ve been fanfreakingtastic the whole time. flat cord to both sides, so very limited tangling, 50mm driver, very nice highs and lows, great bass that’s not too strong, and ear cushions that are literally like pillows. The only negatives I can think of are:

1. they’re a bit big for some people’s liking. As in the cushions are the size of cds. xb 900s are even bigger though.
  2. They can sometimes get a bit hot if you wear them on a hot day for an extended period of time.

I’m by no means an audiophile, but I will say this:
Don’t buy beats, and don’t buy bose. Both overpriced and overrated. To my understanding, Sennheiser make some very good headphones, like any of their hd headphones (hd 595, 598, 448, etc.). I’ve also heard excellent things about Grado, audio technica, denon, and beyerdynamic. I think sony might make a few that are up to audiophile standards as well, but I can’t confirm that.

Edit: oh, and no skullcandy either. They have decent sound, but they’re built so incredibly cheap that they’ll break in a few weeks. I’ve owned 50/50s and the metallica logo hesh. Both broke pretty quickly.

I use Sony Xb300’s. I’m actually wearing them right now.

Beats are complete crap.

V-Moda Crossfades are amazing headphones. Worth every penny, although mine are gone.

Get some sony xb400’s or xb300’s.

Cheap and sound really good.

Also senhheisers are good

Depending on the budget, I adore my Koss PortaPros which I wear to the gym and so on. For more audiophilic listening I have a pair of Bang & Olefsun H6’s which I also can’t get enough of.