I need help picking Headphones

Don’t buy extra bass headphones. If you want more bass, turn it up on your ipod/whatever. I don’t suggest this though. Unless you listen to rap, the bass drowns out other parts of the music, as has already been mentioned.

Skullcandies, I would have to say no. They break extremely easily. Out of my sisters two pairs and my pair of earbuds, mine clocked in the longest at about 9 months. On top of that, they didn’t even sound that good. Great worry-free earbuds, however.

I did have a friend asking about earbuds and headphones a couple of weeks ago. He wanted to know about whether to get good earbuds or good headphones. Me and my friend said the same thing, “Buy a good cheap pair of earbuds, then save up for great headphones, like sennheisers”.

1 Like

I forgot to mention, about ten years ago, my boss bought me a pair of Grado headphones. He was an audiophile type. The Grado headphones are ugly as sin, but boy did they sound incredible. I broke them being clumsy and all :-[ I don’t know the price cause they were a gift, but I will buy another pair soon. I have not stopped thinking about them. If you’re really into sound quality, check them out:

www.gradolabs.com

Pfff get apple ear pods, things are indestructible. Trust me I thrash every pair of headphones I know and these ear pods are the only things that handle my abuse.

1 Like

i recommend Pioneer SE-M390, love mine, very comfortable, long cord, great sound and reasonable price.

Two words and a number…

Skullcandy Hesh 2.0

I looked those up, they are in the OP’s price range, and the reviews are consistently 4 out of 5 stars on average. For the price, I’m not sure if you will do much better than that for an over the ear or on the ear design. Plenty of color options available. Years ago, when I was commuting on public transportation to and from work, and my headphones got heavy wear and tear, a pair of headphones never lasted me that long before the cord got a short, the foam around the ears got ragged and so on. Less than a year, even if I was extra careful. It appears that model has a detachable cord so if the cord is the first thing to go, you might be able to replace the cord, not have to replace the headphones themselves. I just don’t know how you can do better buying new in the $45 range. If you can spend more, definitely do so, and get one of the better brands. But, in your price range, you may want to look at Skullcandy.

I’d never suggest Skullcandy to anyone unless they were particularly masochistic. The willingness that some people have to subject themselves to the horrible quality and build of such pieces of junk is unbelievable.

2 Likes

I actually just got a pair of these. I love them so much.

Well, that’s what $45 will get you. I have a few pairs far worse for working in the yard, probably spend $10 on them. I think I could use the Skullcandy as an upgrade for working in the yard or working out. While doing those things, I’m not particularly focused on sound. I’m not going to sweat out my Sennheisers or Audio Technica. I’m going to get myself a pair…probably one of the weird colors too. I buy headphones like I buy yo-yos, I buy the spectrum, cheap to expensive…the whole range. This way, if I step on the cord while mowing the lawn…oh well, didn’t spend that much on them anyway. :wink: I probably have like 6 pairs of headphones, cause you can never have too many. I think I’m used to tolerating all the various qualities, when I was growing up, my parents were not going to spend any real money on headphones. I’m very used to low quality, but now I can enjoy high quality too when I want. :wink:

Too many options now. I was at fye today though looking at the Audio Technica quietpoint. I wasnt able to listen to them though. Hows the bass on them?

If you’re giving your $45 to Skullcandy, and justifying the inferior quality by stating that that’s what you get for the price, you’re under-experienced. Plain and simple. Take anything in the same range from Shure, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, or Sony and compare it to the toyish Skullcandys. Anyone with a brain in between their ears as opposed to brain shaped silly putty will hear a difference in sound quality, and I can guarantee they are built better.

Funky colors and sports endorsements may be a convincing factor for many an Average Jane in the audio department, but I prefer a product that actually holds its ground for more than tinny, muddy month or two before it snaps in half or kinks a cable that oughtta be properly relieved.

Sorry Sara, you’re great, but I can’t stand by when someone recommends an inferior product to someone who has the opportunity to do better.

2 Likes

For $5 more you can get a nice pair of Sennheiser PX100IIs at Walmart.
Quite a step up for not much more $$.

Skullcandy Hesh 2.0 Review - Avoid at all costs.

Guys obviously beats are the best. They have incredible quality, and are honestly reasonably priced. Your getting a steal for something that says Dr. Dre on it.

Don’t hate, appreciate.

I’d like to remind the jury that Skullcandy is the same company that made a model of headphones with rumblepacks/vibrators in the cans under the guise of “subwoofers”.

You’re great too. But, I did not “recommend” the product, as I have never tried it at all. I would never “recommend” something I have never tried myself. I suggested the OP take a look at the option, based on the reviews I saw from the “average” person, not the audiophile, and based on their availability as they are easily found, along with the color options, and price. Also, based on what I heard form another average listener friend of mine. Also, I put my reasons in perspective for the OP as far as my view of headphones in general, what I use them for (studio, home, outdoors), and what I am willing to spend, and what I expect in performance for those various uses. For my purposes, and what I intend to use them for in the near future, the Skullcandy will do. Someone else in the thread is enjoying them, and sound like other things is subjective, so I’m sure the OP will decide what he wants to do from here. I believe I was first to mention that I personally use Audio Technica and Sennheiser for my high end choices. On that we do agree.

Pat, that is just, plain and simple, insane audio engineering. Mad props to skull candy.

But in all honesty, I agree that audio quality is important for ‘x’ amount of money you spend on a product. However, I am no audiophile. So I just like the headphone that provides good quality audio, and is comfortable for long listening.

I was being too short, then. Do me a real big favor and try before you buy, if you’re gonna entertain the possibility of Skullcandys. Or, y’know, just never ever touch them ever. Either one works.

Unless you’re primarily in pursuit of fashion, in which case just wear 'em around your neck, completely unplugged from anything that can produce the proper electrical impulses to generate noise.

Now, I do have a question.

If I were to drop ~$100 (+/- 50) dollars. Which headphone would provide ‘the best’ audio quality for that price range?

If you’re concerned with “the best”, I’d look for a more overarching resource, as I doubt many YYE users have used the wide array of models required in order to make a proper conclusion.

EDIT: Plus, your question is incredibly vague, as you don’t mention what you’re looking for, only that it be of a high quality, and within a certain price range.

EDITEDIT: Plus, the whole subjective view on what is desirable or not. You’d either have to know what you’re looking for and find a resource that has a mutual understanding on what that facet is, or go out and try for yourself and make an educated decision.

1 Like

Look guys, this might let you help me a bit more. My preferences:

-Detachable Cable
-Respectable Bass
-Long lasting

And I do agree that beats are just terrible. Today at school my friend was listening to his studios in class and the bass is over powering and Just drowns everything out.

Now quit arguing guys!