I made a Draupnir Documentary

I wish I still had mine :pensive: it’d be so dope if I still had the now vintage YYR line

Used to have Sleipnir, Overdrive, Messiah, Acrophobia, Triplet, Mr Butcher, and Blink

I wonder if I can find an old pic

5 Likes

You are definitely right.
For me Yoyorecreation, which I initially knew as 44re: creation, presented itself, in my eyes again passionate in this world as the absolute future! … in a world of organic shapes of the early 2000s, these extreme objects arrived, of a unheard of beauty that dazzled my attention.
I lost the first models … as they are very expensive and difficult to find in Europe … my first YYR was the Sleipnir … when it arrived to me, directly from Japan, it seemed to me an object left on this planet by an alien for what beautiful, futuristic and captivating … the anodization is something that I cannot say, that red point is of a unique beauty … it is a yoyo with certainly remarkable performances, compared to its competitors of the time it was of a speed and impressive stability, always planted in the air.
The Dreadnought is a great yoyo and at the time it was the biggest you could have … in a world of 50mm yoyo, where the Sleipnir himself seemed enoerme, the Dread was nothing short of mammoth … but light and volece … kind, I would say … His version G, on the other hand, was a very successful experiment because in the face of a really considerable weight … which actually breaks your arms in the long run, has a rotation force that is superhuman to say the least … . is a very physical yoyo, male … straightforward and sincere.
Then came the Third Impact … I think it’s my favorite, not light but still fast to maneuver, as precise as a katana … and a change in shape that made us think of an evolution that would not have been there … like its definitive sales run.
The Messiah is another iconic object … so small and dense, to the eye it looks like a stone, but then using it the thing you always have in your head is: “but how is this possible?” it doesn’t look that small, it doesn’t look that heavy … your hands and your eyes don’t get along …
The 44Clash 2012 … not bad but I’ve never had too much feeling … maybe it depends on me and on the fact that I find it a little too tight … I don’t know, the fact is that little happens to my hands.
The Reclash on the other hand, purchased mostly for the coloring and the particularity of the shape, despite being a valid object, does not have an optimal mass distribution … if I didn’t know it, I would say that it is not a YYR.
Even the Mr. Butchers have a very unusual and particular weight distribution for the standard of this brand … and in fact they don’t drive me crazy … relatively short rotation times, nice but there was much better.
The Z-On, for example, is fantastic, like the Mr. Butchers it is also a signature for a 5A player and therefore like them it has increased return pads … its 70 gr., When you throw it I don’t know where turn out, dude! he does what you want, how you want.
Start the Riot is also absolutely good. The inner ring is pure aesthetics but the yoyo is pure substance … the weight of him feels everything, even something more, but the yoyo is stable and with long spin times.
The Laser, despite being narrow, being designed for the 3A, is really impressive, it all seems right in it and the coupling of the rings is so well done that you have to try hard to see that it is not a monometal!
Finally the Draupnir, you have already said everything in this beautiful video, will remain a milestone in this yoyo sector, today maybe the yoyos will be better but when they did the Draupnir I had no references to think about it … all those who came after … have always and only had the Draupnir for reference!

And now a special mention to the Chinese copies in 6061 (same aluminum used for the Rebellion) … they too have a special place in my heart, as they are now unavailable and … rare, perhaps more than the real YYR because unlike of the originals which are mostly treated with utmost attention, the copies, due to the low cost, and the large numbers produced, have been used as “fodder”, to learn to play in 3A, 5A, etc. without much courtesy and respect … but in the end they are like prototypes … they can make you try how a 63 gr Sleipnir could be. (the red / raw) or one of 69 gr. (the micro blasting), you can hear how they play 3 gr. more on an Overdrive or have fun, if you have a bit of manual skills to see how an Overdrive with a 5mm gap (the pink one) works. They have no economic value but a great value in terms of curiosity and fun, for me.

In recent years, however, I can no longer see and find in the production models those distinctive and canonical traits of the Brand that were its DNA … objects like the Chopstick Gorilla or the TM I just can’t place them in the YYR universe, I don’t know but I don’t feel the desire to have anything of what is now available, just as on the other hand I don’t have the desire to get rid of what I have

Ah, I forgot the copy of Acrophobia! … for me it represented the yoyo with golden proportions … let’s say, I like to play with him, but not to the point of having felt the urge to look for an original one to own.

4 Likes

You have a black start the riot :weary: I’ve always wanted one of those.

I had a Sleipnir slip through my fingers recently, but a good friend of mine was the one that got it.

I wanna try/own an old YYR so bad, but they’re so hard to find, and pulling them away from the people who do own them requires some… finesse

1 Like

This sits on my end table in the living room. Not all old - but love some YYR, this thread got heated lol!! FWIW - I like the Sigtyr better - just my opinion though

3 Likes

It’s not often I regret passing on yoyos but I kick myself for not picking up a “new” Sleipnir in that dark gray when they were released

They may have the “skills”; but does OneDrop have the equipment to manufacture both the yo-yo and the weight-rings o the tolerances necessary for a good press-fit?

1 Like

Yup, you’re the real YoyoGeezer loool

From what I’ve heard, OneDrop has tried to make a bimetal, but they didn’t like what they made enough to release it.

DO NOT take this as fact, this is just heresay.

Maybe it’s an investment thing that they’re not willing to do. I wouldn’t do it if I were them. 🤷🏾

They’ve said publicly that they don’t do it because they don’t believe they could be competitive in terms of pricing.
I have no doubt that if they made a few runs they’d sell out even at an exorbitant price, but it’s unlikely that they could sustain sales long enough to make the investment in capital equipment worthwhile.

I was merely noting that the machinery necessary to create press-fit is made to machine to very strict tolerances. OneDrop’s machines may not have that capability. When they bought their machines, mono-metal was the thing. So they may not have seen the need to have the capability to machine to 1000’s of an inch.

I remember reading that the Smithsonian has to use old German lathes to make parts for their WW2 aircraft because modern machinery did not need to create such strict tolerances as they did in WW2.

1 Like

This post right here is the reason why OneDrop has not produced a bimetal, not because bimetals suck.

2 Likes

I hear ya, but even if they have all the equipment they need already (they might, idk), what they pay for labor would still lead to higher sale prices. Not trying to turn this into a “Made in USA isn’t necessary for quality!” debate, but that’s their thing

2 Likes

Yes; bi-metal means two parts to be machined as well as the labor to press-fit them together and perform quality-control; adjust as needed. Hard to compete with overseas labor costs as well as commodity costs. Capital-costs are also easier to come by in other countries too.

2 Likes

What about the Onslaught? That is an amazing tri-material yo-yo with the performance of the Draupnir; and the stability of the Sigtyr.Just a fabulous yo-yo; with modern dimensions.

1 Like

I don’t see Luo Yi Cheng playing with two cans of beans tied to a string in the video you posted. Furthermore, we are not talking about player skill, we are talking about the yoyo’s capabilities. Any sufficiently skilled yoyoer can pull off anything on any yoyo as shown in the video below. You’re confusing the two. What I want to see is an objective and representative measurement of the yoyo’s power and stability by using a standard horizontal combo being repeated as many times as possible before the yoyo dies out.

Sure, to you it’s not important, but to me, there’s a huge difference in the yoyo’s characteristics on the string. You might not notice a difference, but others will.

Bimetals definitely have something to offer over monometals, if not no yoyo company would even bother with manufacturing bimetals and no competitor would favour bimetals. If monometals are so clearly the optimal choice, then tell me why so many people (like me) in the yoyo community, including competitors at the WYYC, choose a bimetal to play with over a monometal. Are you just going to call more than half of the yoyo community stupid and foolish because there’s no obvious benefit to using a bimetal for you? It’s obvious that bimetals offer something that monometals don’t to these bunch of people and it might not just be power and stability, it can be anything from unique weight distribution to otherworldly-shaped yoyos. Clearly there is something exceptional that bimetals offer that monometals don’t. It might not be exceptional to you, but your personal experience isn’t everyone’s experience. If you hate bimetals and don’t want anything to do with them, so be it, some people in the yoyo community do the same, but they don’t say that bimetals have nothing to offer over monometals, because bimetals clearly do have something that they do better at than monometals.

YOUR every need, not everyone’s every need. For me, monometals just can’t provide the power and stability I need while being super light. Bimetals satisfy that need very well and so I’ll continue to purchase light yoyos that are bimetals.

Again, that is your opinion based on your experience. I feel a huge difference when playing with an oversized yoyo compared to a full sized one. Oversized yoyos are very prone to kickback which feel terrible because of the lost of control when throwing them. A full sized yoyo will never suffer from such a problem. Thankfully recent oversized yoyos are designed with this in mind and most don’t have such a problem. Oversized yoyos also usually feel much lighter and floatier thanks to their larger size distributing the weight than a full sized yoyo of equivalent weight. I suggest playing with the C3 Mega Crash against your Third Impact and then tell me if being oversized makes a difference. Also, the speed of rotation is not correlated to the yoyo’s power and stability. If that was the case, tiny yoyos like the Mini Panzer would reign supreme over all other yoyos in terms of stability, which is obviously not the case. In fact, the Mini Panzer is probably one of the most unstable yoyos to have ever come out, thanks to its tiny size.

That is far from the dictionary definition of efficient. A quick google search shows this:

This is in no way the same as your definition of efficient. Furthermore, if a yoyo is “efficient”, as in it fully responds to its functions or purposes as per your definition, it doesn’t tell me anything about the yoyo’s capabilities or how it plays on the string and is thereby meaningless. It’s as good as telling me that the yoyo is unweopduyepjaerk, which is a pointless statement that contains no valuable information. If what you mean by “efficient” is that you have a lot of control over the yoyo, and the YYJ Phenom is the yoyo that you have the most control over, then you have just backed up my point that people like to play with the yoyos that they have the most control over, not the yoyo that is the objective best in terms of catchability, power and stability. Again, this is your personal preference, every single person in the yoyo community will have a yoyo that they deem as their most “efficient” yoyo which will differ from person to person. If that is the case, then your point of the YYJ Phenom having weight rings at the middle of the yoyo instead of at the rims doesn’t add anything to your argument that bimetals have nothing exceptional to offer over monometals. You’ve just told me that you like the YYJ Phenom the most out of all your bimetals and nothing else, to which I acknowledge with an “okay”.

That is good to hear. I’ll be looking around for one.

I think this argument is not going to go anywhere, since you’re hell-bent on sticking to your personal experience with bimetals to judge all bimetals in the market, and using that personal experience to justify your point that bimetals have nothing to offer over monometals. It is definitely true, but only for you, not for everyone else. Your personal experience isn’t a shared experience and thus you shouldn’t be making such sweeping generalisations for everyone in the yoyo community. It’s a very self-centered point of view, to only consider the topic from your point of view and not take into account other’s experience and the reality of people preferring bimetals. It’s fine to say that you find bimetals to not offer anything of value to YOU over monometals, but when you’re saying that bimetals don’t offer anything of value over monometals PERIOD, that’s a problematic statement that reality clearly disproves and calls for a counter argument. I shall end this argument here, there is no point in moving forward when all your points are based in personal experience, and ignore the reality of the yoyo market and the yoyo community. You are free to continue to think that bimetals provide nothing of value over monometals to you, it is your personal opinion that you’re entitled to after all, but that isn’t, and will never be, the case for bimetals in general.

1 Like

Had a Draupnir, Valkyrie, Stargazer v2, DreadnoughtG, Messiah, 44Clash, Attune, Overdrive (it’s @persson 's now, if I remember right), and Sleipnir. Now just the OG 44re:creation Stargazer and a Fragment. Draupnir was where my love for YYR ended. It was too perfect for its own good.

3 Likes

I would say absolutely yes, after which I read some pretty absurd stuff just above … if OneDrop has machinery with suitable tolerance capabilities?! … the investments required for specific machinery?! … the large increase in production costs …
I do not know if whoever wrote these things is joking or is serious and realizes what he says.
This is what it takes to produce an excellent bi-metal yoyo … and I repeat excellent, from every point of view, materials, finishes, assembly, performance, sold at a final price of about 60 $.
But surely the “god of marketing” knows how to do his job well, especially when he has a plethora of faithful who have no skills and with money in hand.

p.s. have you ever seen the CNCs that OneDrop uses to work?

I see that you are very well versed in weighing words, pretending not to understand the meaning of what I mean and the “comparisons” I make, etc.
Yes, you are right, they are my personal opinions, neither more nor less than yours, and it is useless for you to fill your mouth with phrases such as “you cannot ignore the experiences of a community” and so on. … also because who are you to claim the right to speak on behalf of an entire community???
I’m honest … it’s 7 in the morning here with me … and I don’t have the slightest desire to start my day by reading me the sermon of those who have the sole purpose of “counting fleas” in my speeches.

P.s. my dictionary is not called google, it is called Treccani, and it is the main Italian dictionary … already this I think is a good point to understand the source of the arguments of both.
Good life…

I have to correct you :wink: I don’t have an Overdrive but your beautiful Dreadnought G to which Landon Balk lowered the recess in order to be siliconized more efficiently … and again I thank you for giving it to me !!!

1 Like

compliments! I’ve never had the opportunity to try the Sigtyr but I would have been curious, a little more weight on the draupnir I think it doesn’t hurt, do they have similar behaviors?
What model is the first on the left?