I made a Draupnir Documentary

there is nothing more constructive than a debate that derails in my opinion :wink:

2 Likes

I have to agree with you. in this case the burden of the proof lies with me.
Well, letā€™s say that when you can find me a player who, in the horizontal game, with a bi-metal can do something more than what Christopher Chia did with a Sleipnir (and it doesnā€™t seem to me that with all his subsequent yoyo bi -metal has managed to change a lot in his performances)

or always, in this respect, that someone with a bi-metal can do something better than Paul Kerbel with a Horizon

Or that someone with a bi-metal, in the aspect of higher rotation times, can do something better than Jansen Kimmitt who, for the whole 3 minutes of this freestyle, plays with one throw and only 4-5 regen. ā€¦ (and Jansen has been a producer for some good years but I donā€™t think he ever produced a bi-metal model ā€¦)

then yes ā€¦ maybe you will be able to convince me that bi-metal yoyos have something more to offer monometal ā€¦ but I reserve the right to leave the maybe!
and for now, in my eyes, it remains only fashion imposed by marketing and commercial needs to create new strands of products to sell ā€¦ strands that often die as soon as they are born, see the tri-metal yoyos

2 Likes

Tri-metal yoyos are objectively better than bi-metal yoyos, which are in turn objectively better than mono-metal yoyos. Hopefully soon someone will jump straight to producing a quintuple-metal yoyo, and the next revolution in yoyo design will begin.

6 Likes

Hybrid aerogel body and brass rings. Virtually NO body weight, ALL rim.

Or go tungsten rings, then if you hit it hard enough once you then have to purchase another $700 yoyo (or however much). #marketing

3 Likes

Experimental yoyo designs are great, but I definitely hope they donā€™t become the standard. All great suggestions though :joy:! Not gonna lie, I love my Trion Crash, which is almost a trimetal. Hybrid aluminum, plastic and steel, lol. Definitely gotta be careful with it, though. I think itā€™s a preference thing, whether you think bimetal and other types of non-monometal yoyos are worth the price or hype. Hope everyoneā€™s having a great day, also!

2 Likes

I think an excellent example that you can use to prove your point that bimetals do offer something that monometals donā€™t is when it comes down to the extremes in yoyo design. Iā€™ll mention the examples in the second and third paragraph.

In modern yoyos that are 55-58mm in diameter, have pretty large widths of 42-48mm and have a weight of 62 grams and above, there is just a lot of space to distribute the decent amount of weight in a monometal to achieve power and stability. I find that a lot of people neglect the aspect of weight when it comes to comparing bimetals and monometals. Most bimetals are designed to be lighter than monometals while still offering the same amount of power and stability. As a result, you can see that a lot of bimetals being released these days are usually lighter than 65g while monometals are usually 65g and above to provide the same power and stability. Just look at the Sunbird and the Hummingbird. Sure, the Sunbird might be just as stable as the Hummingbird (highly likely that it is less stable, but I canā€™t confirm this, since I donā€™t have a Sunbird), but at the cost of increased weight. The Sunbird is about 2 grams heavier than the Hummingbird to provide the same amount of power and stability, which would decrease itā€™s agility on the string and cause it to play more solidly. For someone like me who is obsessed with light and agile yoyos, this is not ideal.

When it comes down to the wire in yoyo design, such as in super light (full-sized) yoyos like the Voyage, Spright, Author, Pacquiao, GBP, bimetals really show that they can offer a lot more in terms of power and stability compared to monometals. Most would agree that the bimetal GBP is more stable than the Author, despite the GBP being lighter and being an organic shape (for reference the Author is a V shape). As such, it is no surprise that the more recent releases of super light yoyos like the GBP and the Spright are bimetals because bimetal rims just allow a yoyo to play extremely light and nimble while still providing a lot of power and stability.

Another extreme in yoyo design is when yoyos are tiny. With so little space to distribute the weight, it is all too easy to make a tiny yoyo feel like an absolute brick and be extremely unstable to the point where itā€™s nigh impossible to play with (see: the Mighty Flea). With bimetals however, this problem is easily resolved since the weight can be concentrated on the rims which would provide the much needed stability on the string while also making the yoyo not feel like a brick since the weight can be distributed. Most owners of the Loonie would agree that the Toonie is a much better player and feels much nicer on the string, because the Toonie is just much more stable while also being lighter thanks to itā€™s bimetal design. The General Yo Ministar 2 is the best playing undersized yoyo in my opinion, and its thanks to itā€™s bimetal design allowing it to blow most other undersized yoyos out of the water in terms of stability while still being light and agile on the string.

So many times in these kinds of monometals vs bimetals discussions people fail to consider these two situations where bimetals really show how much more they can offer compared to monometals in terms of power and stability. People are always just looking at competitors to gauge the value of using a bimetal yoyo, which is of course, inconclusive since competitors use a mix of bimetals and monometals. Bimetals really excel at being really light and agile while providing the power and stability required, which is unsurprisingly not the choice for a lot of competitors. Competitors want full control of a yoyo so they can really excel, and bimetals designed to be really light and agile can be too uncontrollable and move way too fast for their liking, which would decrease the chance of them winning a competition and is hence not their first choice. Then this raises the question, what about just making bimetals heavier so they donā€™t play light and agile but instead play solidly and weighty? The problem is bimetals place a lot of weight on the rims, much more than a monometal. This would normally be great for a light yoyo, but when making a heavy yoyo, the weight needs to be more evenly distributed for the yoyo to not play like a brick. This means that heavy bimetals might be way too heavy feeling for a lot of competitors and they find that they take too much energy to change the direction of the yoyo, which tires them out faster and hence reduce their chances of winning the competition. As such, theyā€™ll go for the heavy monometal that is more evenly distributed to maximise their chances of winning as itā€™s easier to control (change directions). Remember that competitors want absolute, full control over their yoyos so that they can get the yoyo to do exactly what they want, which is why so many players have signature models that fit their preferences, itā€™s those models that provide them with that absolute control that they need to excel in a competition. For a competitor, itā€™s not about how stable, how catchable, how powerful a yoyo is, itā€™s about how much control the competitor has over his yoyo of choice. The easiest yoyo for the competitor to control is going to be the yoyo that he chooses to compete with. Maybe some competitors can provide some input as to how they choose their yoyos for competition to see if this line of reasoning is correct, but I think this is the case for most if not all competitors since competitors choose wildly different yoyos to compete with, with very few favouring the yoyos with the objective best in terms of catchability, power and stability (surprised? You really shouldnā€™t be). @brandonvu @Gentry_Stein @Evan_Nagao @YoYoExpertEric @ColinBecko

3 Likes

Easy yyfben2; we all know you have the biggestā€¦ yo-yo company. :smiley:

1 Like

but then, the yoyo in adamantium or vibranium will arrive that will cancel everything and write the ā€œreal new eraā€

:wink: :smiley:

4 Likes

your interesting considerations but I ask you, have you ever played with one of these? and I would like to continue to point out that what little weight it has, it is not focused on rims anyway!

Magicyoyo Aurora (51 gr.) | Blue blast and gloss | Fabrizio Rotoloni | Flickr

among other things, some accredited producer, see OneDrop, despite having a team that competes, has, obviously, decided not to produce, bi-metal yoyo ā€¦ will it have its reasons? since he is also one of the few who takes care of all the steps, from design, to production up to the marketing of his products ā€¦ and the skills to perform certain jobs he certainly has, the side effects and the Rally are witnesses.

@JeiCheetah

1 Like

Nope I have never played with an Aurora with its LED guts removed. I know it is light, and lacks rim weight, but what is your point?

If what youā€™re trying to say is that it performs fine even though itā€™s a light monometal with little rim weight, then you have missed the point of my post.

in the first place I disagree with what you report here

and the yoyo that I suggested is tangible proof that a monometal doesnā€™t have much less to offer than a bi-metal.
in addition I do not agree in various of your concepts expressed, such as that bi-metal tend to have weights under 65 gr. and the good performing mono-metals have higher weights to be such and the feeling that sometimes give some bi-metals like The Edge which weighs 66 gr. or the Space Cadet, 65 gr. is that of being much slower and heavier than what a Third Impact gives me with its 72 gr. ā€¦ which in any case does not tire me in use and has greater spin and stability (you instead support ā€œbecause bimetal rims just allow a yoyo to play extremely light and nimble while still providing a lot of power and stability.ā€)
And I forgot, higher up, to mention what I think is, among my yoyos, the most ā€œefficientā€ bi-metal I have ā€¦ the Phenom ā€¦ notice where the weight rings are.
Anyway, after all if you love, as you said light yoyos, L 'Aurora is a suggestion that I feel like giving you for a second time, you will be absolutely satisfied.

I would like to see you doing some horizontal combos on the aurora then, if itā€™s really all that stable without much rim weight. Letā€™s see if it can shred those combos as well as the GBP can. That to me will be tangible proof.

The keyword I used is ā€œtend to haveā€. A tendency does not mean that all bimetals are going to weigh less than 65g and there will obviously be counter examples. From the examples you have given, it seems that you have not kept up with the modern bimetals being released today. The examples you mentioned are pretty old, about 5 years old for even the newest model.

Is that not what I have mentioned before? I clearly mentioned in my previous post that heavier bimetals are going to feel slower and heavier than their monometal counterparts, thanks to their rim weight and less even weight distribution. Also, keep in mind that the Third Impact is an oversized yoyo, while the Edge and the Space Cadet are regular full sized yoyos. Being oversized plays a big part in how the yoyo feels in play since the weight of the yoyo can be distributed over a larger area. Combined with its larger diameter, itā€™s not surprising that a well designed, oversized monometal yoyo can edge out the old, regular-sized bimetals you have mentioned in power and stability.

I have no idea what you mean by ā€œefficientā€. To me, it doesnā€™t mean anything. It neither describes the capabilities of the yoyo nor provides any description of how it feels on the string.

Thanks, Iā€™ll check it out. The DIY portion of removing the LEDs is a bummer though. Iā€™ve heard theyā€™re tough to remove.

Excuse me but I would like to blow your baseless claims out of the water. Yoyorec was anodizing 7075 monometals for a very long time, yes, but when it comes to anodizing bimetals, there are much bigger risk factors at play. You have to perfectly mask off the area that will be press-fit, lest you risk an inconsistent anodizing pattern if you masked off too much, or an improper fit leading to vibe.

You claim that YYR Draupnirs are perfectly machined 100%, but anyone who literally knows anything about Draupnirs will know that different colorways/runs of the draupnir will differ in weight, vibe, etc. with some even being a whole gram off of another colorway. Anodizing aluminum that needs to be press-fit with stainless steel rings is hard. Anodizing 7075 is also hard, and getting vivid colors requires a more thorough process. Balancing a more aggressive ano while avoiding vibe or masking inconsistencies was something they decided to avoid for a while. Either way, the reason why they chose to stick with raw in the beginning literally doesnā€™t matter.

3 Likes

a process such as anodic coloring which at most can affect 20 microns what would it cause to the coupling by interference?!?!?
are you serious or are you kidding?!?!?
Ahahahahahahahah

I try to answer briefly by points ā€¦

• Iā€™m sorry to disappoint your expectations, you will hardly see any video of mine, in addition, horizontally I know how to do a few things ā€¦ the fact is, that back in 2008, those who were capable, performed tricks even with two cans of beans tied to a string ā€¦ with an Aurora, he would have done a whole freestyle horizontally.
  • I donā€™t see great correlations between ideal weights and yoyo materials ā€¦ and for me 2 gr. more or less are not that important, as long as we are placed where they are needed. You are absolutely right I am not deliberately keeping up with bi-metal, as after 13 yoyos of this type I realized that they have nothing so exceptional to offer compared to the others, while problems, yes, they can offer many more. . Stealth was and will remain my last bi-metal ā€¦ aluminum can satisfy every need, but I donā€™t exclude some other titanium as well.

• does an oversized yoyo play an important role in how you feel a yoyo as the weight can be distributed over a larger area? ā€¦ Not even. as in that example, I could easily replace the Messiah at Third Impact, which plays much faster and lighter than both the Space cadet and The Edge, being however much smaller and over 2 gr. in more weight.

• efficient does not mean anything to you? ā€¦ for the dictionary yes, this is the definition (and what I meant): Fully responding to its functions or purposes.

• the caps and the led plates can be removed very easily, they are only solidly recessed, so you must not be afraid to apply a little force, the only advice is to pry into the hole of the circuit with the LEDs with a stick wood, as, being very delicate, you would risk scratching the anodizing by crawling on it.

Nice to see you think pulling out the fanciest words in your vocabulary will erase the hard work and dedication people have put into proper anodization

focus on facts, not words, and the facts are 20 microns, which is nothing compared to the tolerances for correct interference fit.
The turns of phrase that you propose, will not save you from the lack of arguments.

Man this page is burning hot, I donā€™t mean to derail the convo, but like

Any old YYR collectors wanna show off their yoyos? Pre-draup YYR isnā€™t something thatā€™s often talked about in the modern community, and Iā€™d love to see/hear about those old yoyos.

7 Likes