I made a Draupnir Documentary

Thanks for making that! I enjoyed it and learned a few things since I wasn’t following yo-yo in 2013.

2 Likes

what can i tell you?
if this notion is not acceptable to you, it is to me and the fact that many “reputable players” turn to bi-metal products to maximize their performance does not certify anything for me.
As for me, I can tell you that after buying 12 bi-metal yoyos, some excellent (Laser, Draupnir, Star the Riot, Stealth) others valid (Pulsefire) others not up to my expectations (The Edege, Space Cowboy, Space Cadet, Hideyoshi, Musashi), I can tell you that for a couple of years I have not felt the slightest need to take more … after the last bi-metal, I have purchased others 17 yoyos , all mono-metal and now I’m waiting for a Colossus VI

Or it’s just a preference choice where they like the play and feel of the yoyo. There’s been plenty of signature throws in bimetal and monometal to show everyone has their own preference.

4 Likes

The way I see it, bimetal yoyos aren’t necessarily better, they just allow for more extreme weight distribution. What is better all depends what you want out of a particular yoyo. Never saw a need for bimetals until I started learning more tech based tricks. I wanted a slimmer yoyo with tons of spin time, and bimetal rims helped achieve this.

3 Likes

Great stuff!!!

1 Like

I see what you’re saying but that’s not so much an explanation for stability as in “staying on plane during play” as it is “why bimetals are prone to vibe”

2 Likes

yes, I apologize for my linguistic limitation, as terms that define certain circumstances may actually have different references in other languages.
Exactly, I did not mean that a bimetal with an extreme solution of positioning of the masses (as the different specific weights allow to overcome the limit that the monometals have in this sense), cannot remain in rotation in the position set by the player but precisely that, both for this reason and for potential reasons of assembly, can lead to problems of vibrations which are not only an aesthetic factor, but bring into play a whole series of physical forces that affect, not in a favorable way , different areas of the yoyo, such as duration of rotation, behavior in string tricks, effectiveness against certain types of tricks such as grind, grab, etc.
In summary, by “less stable”, I mean less able to perform than one would expect.

1 Like

Interesting points in this thread, but I think this ^^^, is the biggest point to consider if bimetal was a game-changer or not.

After the metal revolution, it became a novelty if a top player shredded a contest on a plastic. The same definitely can’t be said with respect to bimetal vs. monometal.

Along the same lines… have concave bearings been universally adopted for contests? Just gonna speculate here that concave bearings are more of a game-changer than bimetal.

5 Likes

They 100% have. Maybe not concave exactly, but centering ones at least.

5 Likes

The claim I was disputing was not whether or not bi-metals are “game changers” but whether they provide any benefits over mono-metals whatsoever. The idea that they do not is absurd on its face since there are simply too many players who prefer bi-metals–for competition or otherwise–for reasons other than simply “fashion”.

2 Likes

Gotcha. But what if the bimetal advantage is only as significant as something like wearing gloves? In other words, it almost gets into the category of “preference”, so it’s not something absolute. Otherwise everyone would be competing with gloves and bimetal or titanium, etc.

I’m sure if you ask different competitors why they use bi-metals rather than mono-metals you’ll get a variety of answers. But the fact remains that bi-metals provide some sort of perceived benefit for them, and that’s all we need to hear in order to acknowledge that they do provide unique benefits. I mentioned above that it always comes down to personal preference, but that preference is based on something they definitely feel in play. And I don’t think it is difficult to find a physics explanation that matches up with their subjective experience either. Of course, not everyone is going to perceive those benefits/advantages due to their play style or experience level, but that doesn’t mean those benefits/advantages aren’t there at all.

4 Likes

100%

1 Like

Another fact in the Draupnir story I think that needs to be mentioned was that even at $200 retail production was a big problem. They were raw for so long because they couldn’t anodize colors on 7075 consistently and in the future batch sizes were small because they had created a legend and couldn’t afford to dip below it. Scarcity does wonders to grow a collectible in value but Lack of supply and the appearance of super high profits attracted all the copys, bootleg or ‘inspired by’.

So many YoYos we don’t remember that were launched as Draupnir killers….

4 Likes

forgive me, I agree on what you say but not on the fact that if for the first periods the Draupnir were supplied raw it was due to the difficulty of anodizing the ergal (7075). the reason in the run was to be able to better observe the precision of the coupling of the rims as the naked yoyo actually looked like a monometal as the parts and their assembly were precise and of quality, then the contrast of the polished aluminum with the tempered rims.
I would like to remind you that Yoyorecreation has always made yoyo exclusively with 7075 aluminum, always with optimal anodizing, even if the Japanese have a certain love for raw editions, not surprisingly at the same price as the anodized ones, as they are more spartan and therefore “competitive” but the fact remains that Yoyorecreation, before producing Draupnir, on the 7075 was able to do this … and sorry if it is not enough!

yyr attune.PNG

2 Likes

you continue to talk about truth when instead you only deal with opinions, making those who are not of your idea pass as a person unable to understand because they are unable to use an object in a certain way and have no experience.
I don’t know what your intent is, but it’s not a problem … the world is beautiful because it is varied and … it will continue to be, fortunately.

2 Likes

These things are alignment not opposing statements.

the buildup / material loss in anodizing compromises even the most precise machining.

the issues and controversial stance with taking apart yoyos yoyorec took is further evidence of this.

well, if I look at my Draupnir YoyoAddict edition in detail I always see an absolute perfection between the component levels … clearly the chromatic difference makes nemo that “single component” effect

This. This looks good.

EDIT: Oops I derailed a debate lmao

I am only trying to draw logical deductions inferred from the limited data I have available. Since I don’t believe there is anything except subjective experience in our reality, I couldn’t talk about objective truth even if I wanted to.

We’ve all seen competitors demonstrating pretty strong preferences, sometimes for bi-metals, and it strains credibility that those preferences are exclusively the product of something as superficial as “fashion”. In fact, I would say that the burden of proof that it is only fashion, and nothing else, that drives competitors to choose bi-metals is on you, and not me to prove the negative.

As for experience and/or style forming the lens through which we assess yoyos, let me offer an example of what I mean. There are yoyos out there which are reportedly better at horizontal play than other yoyos. I personally would not be able to tell you which ones because I can’t do horizontal tricks and have no experience with it. Just because I can’t tell which yoyos are good for horizontal and which ones aren’t doesn’t mean that all yoyos are equally good for horizontal. Similarly, just because some people don’t perceive any difference between bi-metals and mono-metals doesn’t mean differences don’t exist. If differences exist for just one person, then differences exist. It’s basic set theory.

1 Like