The A size bearing in my recently acquired “cats n’ loops” Alleycat 650b started sounding grainy.
So I took it out, de-shielded it, cleaned it in acetone and put the shields back on.
Then I lubricated it with thick lube. Much to my dismay, it played simi-responsive. I do not enjoy playing response roulette…
So I added some thicker motor oil I had laying around. Still not responsive enough.
So I removed the bearing, took one shield off, cleaned it in acetone again and this time… wait for it…
I used chapstick.
I simply tooled some into the ball bearing track through the one de-shielded side with a knife. I put the shield back on, popped it into the yoyo and VUALA.
Perrrfectly responsive. And quiet too!