Alternative Looping Oils?

I recently spent my entire yoyo budget on looping yoyos and strings and now I realize that I forgot to get looping oil. Does anyone know if there are any good alternatives for the time being?

1 Like

I have used the following: chapstick, Vaseline, and 3 in 1.

3 Likes

Chapstick or Vaseline INSIDE a bearing case? I could see a drop of 3 in 1 oil. Those bearings are really tiny. I’m not trying to be sarcastic. Thick lube is just a few bucks. I’m sure the bearings will be fine until lube comes in a week. It’s not a budget-breaker.

1 Like

Yep, inside the bearing case. Am I crazy? Yes.

3 Likes

Crazy? No. You’re more experienced than I. I just think of Chapstick as chunky wax and thought it’d jam up the bearings. Thrower Hacks. There’s a new Topic. I’m sure everything’s already been covered in other threads but Thrower Hacks might pull a lot of stuff together under one umbrella.

2 Likes

I use Vaseline. It’s good!

3 Likes

One small container of Vaseline and even your great great great great great great grandchildren will have some left to use! Smart thinking! I’m selfish so my great great great great great great grandchildren will have to figure out how to lube bearings themselves. Wait, I don’t even have any children!

2 Likes

Any common household oil is fine for responsive yo-yos like household 3-in-1 oil.

1 Like

Singer oil

1 Like

Definitely a good option but probably not a lot of people have it

2 Likes

Like for sewing machines?

Good choices. Haven’t gone the chapstick route yet.

If my memory hasn’t started to fade yet, I saw Connor Seals say he uses chapstick. That’s where I got the idea from. I use the chapstick as my portable yoyo bearing lubricant. Works great!

Personally; I use peanut butter when I’m in a jam.

Especially when I don’t have any bread.

Just sandwich the butter between the bearing and the halves.

If you’re frugal; you can milk the smallest jar of peanut butter for years to come.

No kidding… it doesn’t take long at all. It works in a Jif.

3 Likes

Awww, c’mon! I had juice in my mouth when I read your post but I did manage to keep it all in. Peanut butter…when you’re in a jam…

Have you ever thought about using magnets to get reactive bearings?
I did some experiments years ago with good results.
The magnet slows down the bearing that remains responsive.
If I find the prototype I’ll will post you guys a video.

3 Likes

How would you apply it though?

It’s enoght you put a magnets near the bearing. The un-responsive bearing became responsive. If I don’t found the proto, I’ll do a new one, I’ll post the video on Monday, now I’m leaving for the week end.

1 Like

salva

Yellow is the magnet. Polarity is + -; + - The bearing inside, even if it was a stainless, become magnetic and slow (not so much) creating a responsive yoyo.

neodymium magnets

4 Likes

Vaseline, chapstick or 3 in 1?

3 in 1 like any other lubricant.

Chapstick I just twist out a bit and use the edge of the stick and push it into the bearing.

For Vaseline I take a straw and jab into the container of Vaseline till I have a straw partially full of it. Then I squeeze on the straw slightly so that some of the Vaseline comes out. Then I use it just like the chapstick.

1 Like