I just lubricated a bearing with chapstick

Shame on you! Don’t you know that experimenting with bearings is so old school. Soooo behind the times. (shakes head):smirk:

2 Likes

Yeah, but have you even tried Nutella?

2 Likes

mmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolaty

1 Like

I’m dead

2 Likes

It is class 3, grease to me.

The odd thing is that I know @smileypants707 has some super lube because I sent it to him wayyy back ago:

(It was intended for the responsive K1s)

4 Likes

Oh yeah! I did end up giving all of those away btw, and I did use the grease/lube for them. Not sure how many yoyoers they created :man_shrugging:

They might be in my box of yoyo stuff from the move, but I think they got lost in the move somewhere. At any rate, the chapstic’s working fine for now.

2 Likes

I’m talking about this stuff:

https://www.ebay.com/i/302804590715

It’s called Super Lube on my tube, but it’s the same lube dude.

2 Likes

This thread has taken a weird turn. Kinda started on shaky ground, then…just weird.

2 Likes

It has? Any similarities to Ted Nugent, were completely unintentional!

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone on this thread. My original Alleycat and I have a high maintenance relationship. When I play responsive, I don’t want “Russian Response” (thank you Smileypants for coining the term). Reading the thread made me feel silly for not thinking of using grease. I’m sure, my deceased mechanic father is laughing his butt off in heaven seeing my “ah ha” moment.

That said, the Alleycat is now predictable.

3 Likes

Ah yeah :call_me_hand:t2:

Idk about preserve but my manatee was acting super weird when i tightened it so i put some thin lube on the axle and it stopped. Ur yoyo will not spin apart if you lube threads. One drops v4m lube is actually advertised as bearing AND taper lube

1 Like

I put Vaseline in my YYF whip, perfect response. Could it be in any way harmful to my bearing?

Not at all.

2 Likes

Chapstick and Vaseline, if you look at the ingredients, are almost the same thing.

2 Likes

Folks have been using Vaseline since the transaxle stuff, it’s like thick Brain Lube, it works fine for getting a bearing responsive, but it thins out very quickly. Grease will stay put and hang in there a lot longer.

It really does thin out very quickly.

I remember putting Vaseline on the transaxle of my Fireball back in '97. It lasted probably only a few minutes, and somehow it got all flung out into the inside of the body. You can still see all the Vaseline inside it today.

1 Like

That is twenty year old vaseline Glen!

1 Like