I just cant deshield a bearing !figured it out sewing needles!

Ive probably spent hours now trying to hook the c clip wirh a thumb pin and get it to pop out and cant. Ive watched numerous videos where people do it, ive read the big article explaining how. I just cant figure it out lol

Any other tips for this? Maybe after i get the first one ill be able to feel it better.

1 Like

the 2 sides of the c-clip have different diagonal cuts, one side is easier to get the pin behind and pop out, and i swear its always the side that feels most unnatural. I like to get out my phone and use the camera or magnifier and zoom in to see the clip and see which side has the right angled cut to get the pin behind and pop out.

Most of the bearings I have have C-Clips in this orientation meaning i need to push the pin into the gap and slide it clockwise.

4 Likes

You don’t have to deshield a bearing to clean it. You can put it in your solution as is.

2 Likes

Mate I can feel you, is one of the hardest task in the whole yoyoing world!
As @CatFoodScience said is the part that it feels the most unnatural that has the part easier to remove.

Use the point of a needle to do that and basically push the needle closer to you, it takes time but is possible to do.

Otherwise DS bearings are the answer if you have to change bearing, they just great and I never clean them and never had an issue!

1 Like

It takes a finer point than any thumbtack, push pin etc. I have found.

A small safety pin works for me. I also find it easier to hold, leverage etc.

Try using an xacto knife instead of thumb pin to make it a bit easier. Also like @yoyojoe mentioned, it’s really not necessary to do in the first place imo.

3 Likes

I’ve tried every trick suggested to me over the years, and I still can only do it successfully about 1% of the time. It just isn’t worth the time wasted.

1 Like

I’ve used a push-pin to do it and was expecting much more difficulty. The retaining ring can go flying and finding it might be harder than getting it out.

2 Likes

Most good ways to i know of to do it are even better ways for stabbing yourself in the finger.
As mentioned above, you can clean it with the shields on. It’s my experience that some bearings clean up ok and behave and others are just not fixable, so i wouldn’t spend too much time on it.

1 Like

Thumb pin as in like a tack? That’s not small enough, you need a sewing pin/needle to get under the the end of the clip and pry it gently out from the bearing. You’ll see the clip start to bend and flex slightly and by then it should pop fully out, be careful though sometimes they can fly around and it’s a really fun time finding them with your bare feet

1 Like

why do people on the internets talk about needing to de-shield it to clean, just curious? is this like a school of thought argument where some people think it’s needed and others don’t?

i will say i’d rather be able to see the bearings to know how dirty it is, but if i can’t get it with a safety pin i’ll probably just table the attempt.

Seconding the tip of an xacto blade I used to struggle to find the “best pin” and one day tried the xacto. As mentioned, find the right side of the C clip (the side that angles where you can get under the tip) and I’ve found a gentle twisting motion once you get the blade in place will just pop that clip out every time.

Editing to add that the reason I deshield is so that I can get all dirt and grime out and also blow out all the acetone at the end to get it totally dry probably not super necessary but just allows you to get a really thorough clean in a really thorough blow out afterward

6 Likes

now i may try this before a safety pin. i have an exacto in my room.

yeah i’d prefer to have them de-shielded, but if i can’t figure it out i’ll just clean it with shield on.

2 Likes

Yeah dude try that xacto if it’s one of the skinny sharp angled ones it should do the trick!

I use sewing needles the smallest I can find. It can be annoying I’ve put one down come back to it from time to time. Eventually you get it out. I believe in you. My only advice if your going down this path. Just leave the thing unshielded. You maybe have to clean it a tad more frequent but the most obnoxious part isn’t there to do so I think it’s worth it.

For those saying don’t de shield . This all depends on your environment. Do you Smoke? Do you have pets that shed like cats snd dogs? Does your wife use baby powder like it’s going out of style and it’s on everything you own has fine particles of dust everywhere…. Regardless if you have a situation that creates allot of fine bits it’s easier to clean de shielded. Also high humidity makes all that crud stick in there easier and means you need a very tiny bit of lube to help with corrosion. If you happen to live in a dust free house in like Arizona then by all means your set why are you even cleaning your stuff lol.

2 Likes

Removing and discarding shields [is] the first and often last thing I do to quiet overly noisy bearings. YMMV.

I never use lube, so cleaning an unshielded bearing is just a matter of blowing/tapping out any debris. Also YMMV.

Environment seems to make a big difference. I live in a low humidity/high dust environment.

1 Like

ive never heard YMMV. i like it.

ok thanks for weighing in I appreciate your insight! I’ve only recently in last couple months returned to throwing so I got lots to learn/form my own personal likes and dislikes on. haha

1 Like

I tried using the Force. It didn’t work. It never does. :pensive:

Game changing tip. I probably still can’t do it but at least I’m better prepared.

1 Like

I figured it out. Sewing needles! Poked myself only once.

Deshielded like 8 bearings only a few more left

2 Likes