I guess this needs to be discussed. PAYPAL FEES

That’s why I proposed a simple rule. Seller pays any transaction fees. Seller is still free to sell at any cost, bundle stuff up, offer discounts, negotiate, etc, but if the post says “If you want G&S, you pay the fee”, then that is a violation of the rule. G&S should always be an explicit opt out.

The current state of things leaves this little window open for scams, or simple misfortune, to occur. As too many of us know, this is a terrible experience. There will always be some buyer who will want to save that 3%, or just doesn’t want to bother doing the math, or disregards and something bad happens and a big fuss ensues.

Even when I buy from @fatguysnacks247 or others who I know are totally trustworthy, I want the G&S protection because I do not trust USPS, and I do not trust my luck. I believe it is an ethical failure to risk harm to myself or others to save 3%, hence it is also ethically wrong to ask another to pay that 3% to protect the transaction, not to mention the ethics of using F&F when buying goods across the internet.

4 Likes

Then again this is YYE’s forum and they can do whatever they want here. My comments here are strictly my opinion. I added “Buyer pays G&S” to one of the things that makes me ignore a BST post a while ago. Person who has this policy already is stating they will not do their best to make sure the transaction is satisfactory. No sale here.

1 Like

I like rules too. I guess it is enforcement that becomes the (practical) issue.

1 Like

This is certainly not Rocket Science. But all this banter makes it apparent there is a block wall right in the middle of the Brain matter.

Let me simplify this process with 2 distinct avenues>

1. A guy is selling a yoyo. Before he posts up the selling price, he decides what he wants to pocket for the yoyo sale, after fees and postage. Once he has a number then he posts the ‘complete price’.

…For sale. One Orange Overdrive Draupnir. In new condition with box. No damage. Tiny vibe on string. No fingernail vibe. $150 shipped Priority Mail/insured for value/fees included.

1. A guy sees a yoyo he want to buy. The Seller states he wants $150 for it. He states the condition and such. But he says nothing about fees and shipping. The potential buyer simply contacts the Seller and asks if the $150 includes shipping and fees?

The potential buyer decides at that time, whether the Sellers’ answer is a number he wants to deal with? If not, counter offer or pass.

NEVER ask for friends or family.

Paypal is a Worldwide Money moving Business. They earn their fees by providing their services.
…If you use their Services then you Pay for them.
It is completely ‘Flake-Mode’ to get Cheap and feel it is Fine to use Paypal for Free.

I’ve seen guys post up about Paypal making too much money so why not weasel out of paying them whenever you can?

So… here is your to do list if you think that way>

Put some gas in your car. Because you have a busy day ahead.

I want you to go to: An Apple Store, McDonalds, Starbucks, Costco, Walmart, and any other dozen Big money making businesses that come to mind.

At every stop, ask for the Manager. Tell the Manager that you want free stuff because you feel they make too much money. So they should be willing to cough up free stuff. Tell the Managers that you arbitrarily make decisions on whether you should continue paying for services that successful Companies provide.

Warning… before you leave the house, put a thick book down the back of your pants. So when they start Kicking your rear end out the doors, it will hurt less.

Paypal is not your Enemy. Paypal is just part of doing business.

…If you are willing to spend $100, $200, $300, or more. Why get ‘budget minded’ on the smallest part of the Deal?

3 Likes

I have strong opinions on this as well, but we’re talking about $3 per $100 spent.

I get it – it’s not the money it’s the principle, blah blah… but is it honestly worth the aggravation to argue who should pay it? How valuable is your time?

This is a strange hill to die on.

3 Likes

This is all that needs to be said well done thank you

Out of all the forums I am a part of (yoyo, clothing, camera, automotive, botanical, vinyl) a majority of sellers request that the buyer add 2.9% - Out of all of the forums I’m a part of this one is the only one that beats this topic into dead horse oblivion

shut up and pay me (a censored version of the notorious goodfellas quote)

4 Likes

elon musk did not put a tesla in space by being stupid.

if you think you can outwit the systems that guy created, you deserve to be hosed… if you think the don’t deserve a profit for a service they provide, then press your luck… but, if you can’t afford $3 you shouldn’t buy $100 yoyos

Yes, because this has become a frequent annoyance when buying on the various BST. Seller doesn’t state one way or another if they include G&E in their prices. I send a pm “Is the yoyo still available?”, seller says “Yes, send $ to paypal to x@y.com.” OK, I go to send paypal and I hit that point where I choose F&F or G&S. I go back, I study the post again to see if seller said anything. Nope. In the current market I do not know how to translate this. Seller might be expecting to receive agreed, might be expecting 3% less. Point is I don’t know, unless I go back and ask.

I am a very busy guy. I don’t really have time for more back and forth. So I add 3% and send it. I feel annoyed at what should be a feel good purchase.

So yeah, in a hobby where I don’t NEED any of the stuff I buy, anything that adds stress/trouble/annoyance to the transaction is a really really big freaking deal. I wouldn’t be commenting on this otherwise.

3 Likes

you are one of the most contributive members of the bst community from my persoective… i’d like to discuss this at length with you. i wasn’t aware of your strong opinions

Well, that’s precisely why I agree to a final price before agreeing to a deal. Here’s the literal conversation I just had on my last transaction:

Names and amounts have been redacted to protect the innocent…

Me: thanks for the photo. ok, so $XX shipped with PayPal G&S?
Them: If you’re in the US, it’ll be $YY G&S shipped.
ME: ok, deal

If you don’t know how much you’re paying, you don’t have a deal in my opinion. Ask for clarification if there is ambiguity.

2 Likes

If I buy from @fatguysnacks247… I’m sending payment via f&f… just to piss him off :wink:

4 Likes

Exactly. My last transaction was

seller: $125 shipped
Me: I’ll take it.
seller: my PayPal is ______
Me: Great just sent payment
seller: THE ITEM ISN’T PAID FOR YOU NEED TO PAY G&S
Me: I’m sorry that wasn’t stated why would I pay as buyer?
seller: It’s not that complicated how do you not understand

Simple, take a second and make YOUR listing accurate and concise so this is never an issue.

4 Likes

What you present as an example is fine and clear. I’ve bought from you and I’d happily do so again. Most everybody here on yye has been outstanding to deal with. I’d prefer to eliminate ambiguity up front wherever possible. In other words if I have to stop and ask, when it is abundantly clear that G&S should be the default, that is a problem.

If I buy something from a seller on eBay, there’s no question who pays the auction fee. That policy is in place for very good reasons.

3 Likes

https://thefeecalculator.com/
take a few seconds to calculate price, specify it on your listing. easy.

4 Likes

This exactly. When someone advertises $XX shipped G&S and then it turns out to be $XX+X. It’s a matter of principle. If you need to max your sale net, make it clear in the post. If you don’t state it, sticker price appears all-inclusive.

1 Like

Ello mate

1 Like

lmfao :rofl::rofl::rofl:

my man!!!

1 Like

Exactly. We call it managing expectations through transparency in the sales world. The person I dealt with in this fashion almost lost the sale due to it. We made amends and a fair understanding was the end result. But I was very turned off.

2 Likes

Well, he did make this:

P.S.: I’m just here to make fun of Tesla’s Cyber Truck.

4 Likes