I guess I don't know my own strength

I cleaned the bearing in my cypher and some how putting it back together snapped the axle in half. Has this ever happened to anyone?

you should contact yoyofactory or the online store you bought it from.

I’m guessing you mean the axle? If you can’t get it out, yyf might have the tools to help you with it so you don’t strip the threading. Send them an email at contact@yoyofactory.com to see what they recommend.

What happened? Did you step on the yo-yo while putting the bearing back in? I’ve never see this happen ever.

1 Like

I have heard that over tightening the yoyo halves puts extra stress on the axle. I never had the axle break on me, but I’ve been lucky I guess :-. Hopefully you can get the broken bits out of the two halves.

One side looks like you might be able to get handheld vice grips locked on there to twist it out. But, maybe you can take a Dremel with the diamond cutting attachment, and cut a deep line in the top of the axle. Then, take a screwdriver, stick it in the line you drew, and twist them out. :-\ That presumes you have access to a Dremel (with attachment) and the right size screwdriver for the job. I’m sure you know someone who has those tools though.

With this situation you have here, I think a risk is worth taking. Good luck.

1 Like

highfive

anyway what totalartist said might work… but if you can’t get it out contact yoyoexpert or yoyofactory…they should be able to help.

I’m a construction worker so I have access to pretty much any tool. I assume ur talking about a Dremel oscillating tool, which was my first thought but since it uses vibration to cut it seems like it would be really hard to precisely cut a groove in the tiny axle. I have lots of other ideas on how to get this out but I think I’m gonna contact YYF first and see what they think. I didn’t step on it, just twisted it back together (apart). I have been carrying shingles and plywood up a latter all week so maybe I’m just that much stronger lol

Look on the bright side, at least you didn’t strip the yoyo itself.

Yeah, not sure what the attachment is called that I pictured in my head. But, maybe this is a good excuse to just buy a brand new one. :wink:

dang did you turn into the hulk for a minute or something?

1 Like

Must’ve been a cheap quality axle… that’s pretty abnormal.

don’t get me wrong I liked the cypher but not enough to buy another one. I have a cyborg 2.0 coming on Monday that will hopefully be a good replacement

I have good news and bad news.

First, once you start throwing a Cyborg 2, your Brain will re-adjust to a new level of yoyo performance Reality. That is the good news.

The bad news is that your level of strength and breaking an axle in half, have little to do with axle failure.

1 Like

I’ve seen this happen a few times and it’s usually very fixable. As mentioned above, if the Axle is sticking up even just a little bit then you can use a Dremel to cut a groove and screw it out with a flathead screwdriver.

If there is a side that is not sticking out then you’ll need a drill press or a drill with very steady hands. Once you get a hole drilled in the axle you can usually unscrew it with an alan wrench or small screwdriver.

Did you purchase the yo-yo from us? If so, give us a call or send an email and we can help you out!

1 Like

Lol since you have access to “any tool”, you could always drill a hole down the center of the axle and then use a screw removal drill bit to back it out.

there is a specific tool for this called a easy out. or screw extractor. if you have a drill press they are easy too use.

Has anyone made the “Just going to stand there and watch me burn” Joke?

haha :stuck_out_tongue:

Best work for a lathe. The axle may be too small for a fragile screw extractor. I would recommend using a center drill bit and drilling out the axle then tap the yoyo for a larger sized axle.