I got my rally today.

Hey, I like the PGM…

I was going to post something similar to this, but why listen to me when you can listen to one of the two responsible for bring ing the Rally to market in the first place. ;D

I think the only way to have Side Effects in the Rally would be to reengineer the aluminum spacer insert so that the flat underside has a hub which would pass through the plastic shell and accept Side Effects. Could it be done? Probably. Now the questions are how easy would it be to do and keep the yo-yo smooth and the price where the customers would want it?

I’m guessing there could be a major problem with SE hubs too due to a plastic without very high density and a very thin hub.

Pretty much. That is why it seems that the only way to implement a Side Effect System in a plastic would be to have the hub made from metal.

And by that time it wouldn’t be worth the price. I have a question though. If you were to leave the inside of the SE hub the same but thicken the outside would it still work? If you don’t know what I’m talking about ill try to post pics later.

[quote=“MYNAMEISZen,post:25,topic:57070”]
If you are still making it out of plastic, I don’t think it would be possible. Since Side Effects are tapered they are exerting an incredible amount of force on the yo-yo. Metal on metal is not that much of a strain but I do believe metal on plastic will eventually cause warping no matter how thick you make it. Others will know more on the subject and can correct me if I am wrong.

I think you’d still have trouble hitting the tolerances required.

I think it might be possible. Follow my thinking here. You have the spacer with the response groove on one side, on the other you have a Side Effect hub, similar to the 54’s hub. It passes through the plastic shell to allow Side Effects to work with the Rally. Since the spacer is machined from 7075 aluminum it will be strong enough to keep the tolerances up.

It would jack the price up BUT it would also make the Rally the first Side Effect enabled yo-yo.

The crazy thing is that David has already said they are working on alternate variants of the Rally with different shapes and capabilities. That being said Shawn has probably thought up everything that I have just mentioned in order to implement Side Effects on a future version.

We concluded it would not be possible to do a production plastic Side Effect yoyo that would be satisfactory. The ease of use and bullet proofness of Side Effects is an unusual feat. Any time you put a user-moddable system on a product there is a usually a down side. Side Effects are all upside, are easy to use and don’t wear out. This is a very high standard and we feel it is not even close to possible to do in plastic.

The Rally was intended to be the best playing, highest quality plastic yoyo we could make which is a very different goal from making a plastic yoyo that is easily customized.

[quote=“da5id,post:29,topic:57070”]
Well my friend… You NAILED it!!! And that is coming from an eXpert!!! HEHEHEHE

[quote=“mgiroux77,post:30,topic:57070”]

^^ What he said. I was just thinking out loud on how it might be possible. All in all, the Rally does not need Side Effects. It is smooth as butter on the string and plays amazing. I will probably get more hate mail for gushing on it but I don’t care. It is just such a fun yo-yo.

So something similar to this right?

What holds the spacer in?

I’m still thinking all this through. That’s the one part I’m having trouble with :stuck_out_tongue: Any ideas?

It’s not possible :slight_smile:

Shhhh! :wink: I have an idea but I’m not sure if its going to work :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll try it and post pics tomorrow!

You could make it like it already it by making the plastic go sorta smaller like a taper from the bearing seating part to the side effect part so you push the thing in there and it sticks.

I think they could still easily be knocked out then :stuck_out_tongue: how about a screw in hub…?

sorta like the way side effects go in to the side of the yoyo, but the whole plate thing?
or just use the things that are in there and make different ones.

No. Just no.

1 Like