How to test for vibe

I’d tune in for a Jake and the Kwijibos live set

4 Likes

That’s the best part of my manicure, what do you mean?

4 Likes

But…if the yoyo isn’t vibey, how do you know when RPMs are getting low? Lol

Iirc, it was Evan Nagao that said he dings his yoyos on purpose cuz he likes a little vibe for that very reason :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I can agree if that if the seller asks for fingernail vibe

1 Like

That’s all I do. No tricks, no slacks, no whips. Every day I take all of them out. Throw them once to test for vibe and out them away to maintain value.

3 Likes

Honestly. I have a beat up shutter that vibes really bad, and nice throws with zero vibe.

Maybe it’s just me, but when I’m actively throwing I can’t tell a difference

1 Like

I’m doing it all wrong

I threw a sleeper once. Never again

But why do I want to try this :frowning:
I need my vacation.

Wait you guys take it out of the box to test for vibe?

/s

3 Likes

Here ya go>>> grading vibe

7 Likes

I remember @JeiCheetah saying something like that.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this. A lot of great philosophy here. Should be required viewing for everyone.

Here’s a candid of a “real thrower” who does not care about vibe. It’s a slippery slope, my friends.

4 Likes

I really hate things in hobbies that are not obviously a problem, but the community helps you to learn that they are.

It doesn’t matter how hard you try to convince people that a yoyo that vibes is not actually a real problem, if the communuity has decided it is and continues to teach newcomers that it is.

Years ago, I learned from others in the community that ‘vibe is bad’ and I believed them. I was almost always unsatisfied with every new yoyo I purchased because I could always feel some measure of vibe. I now feel that my 8 years ago self was an idiot regarding this.

Now, I never test nor ever think to test any new yoyo I have purchased for vibe.

I know the original post is not an arguement about whether vibe matters or not, but it still helps keep this beast alive. A person new to the community may see this and think ‘vibe? What’s that? Is that a problem? Seems like it is.’

11 Likes

It’s an odd email when someone tells me their yoyo vibes. 90% of the time it is not the generally accepted definition.

3 Likes

Great video @yoyodoc !

True story:

I have a Yomega Glide that with a bit if work and some lube I tuned to almost no noticeable vibe.

I played it like that a few times, but something felt off. It just didn’t feel right, and I played it way less. After about the third session, I got a really tight axle knot and had to take the yoyo apart.

Before I spun the two halves back together, I swapped in a gold plated Konkave I had recieved in the mail, and like clockwork, Vibe was back. I now regularly pick that throw up.

It needed vibe, because Yomega’s are supposed to have vibe. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

(Warning… a whole lotta words in a row)(not for the faint of heart or the attention deficit crowd)

Well, I made a sort of impromptu Public Service Announcement a few posts above in an unscripted/unedited/unrehearsed attempt to give a clearer more logical perspective on ‘vibe’.

Unfortunately if only 3 or 4 people watched it, that isn’t exactly going to help reset peoples’ unfounded views on the subject.

I will reiterate a little in text, for those that may be more receptive to reading text as opposed to watching a senior citizen trying to spread the word in an amateur video.

Vibe………. Is TOTALLY Overrated when it boils down to the degree it affects the potential performance of a yo-yo.

In the last 24 years, I have never talked to a Yo-yo Pro or any Competition level player that had a single gripe against yo-yo vibe. I’ve never heard any player give credit to a Contest win because of the Perfectly smooth yo-yo they used on stage. I have Never heard directly or indirectly from any Player that blamed their placing on yo-yo vibe problems.

Around the time I started ‘cutting up yoyos’(around 1997), the only yo-yos that ‘didn’t’ have vibe, seemed to be Exceptions. It seems at least at the time, most active Yo-yo Making Companies were in full production…… and set a comfortable acceptable ‘standard’ for smooth.

Perfectly smooooooooth yo-yos were more of an exception than the common.

People purchased yo-yos and actually played with them. They didn’t keep them in their pockets. They didn’t just put them in showcases (except the collectors). They just played with them and had fun. Hitting the ground, breaking a string, etc. were just normal occurrences. People didn’t hang out and whine about ‘Vibe’ and it’s tragic consequences. Vibe just wasn’t a thing…

There were a few expensive yo-yos back then. But even some of them had a level of vibe. No big deal…… until>>>>

People started focusing more on the importance of vibe free yo-yos. Not as a critical factor tied to amazingly better Performance. It was more closely related with another mindset. “If I’m gonna pay a good chuck of money on a yo-yo, it better be PERFECT.

A Perfectly vibe free yo-yo is the Expectation to justify the financial impact.

Decades ago, when I started painting cars and Harley motorcycles, I had a phrase for this mindset. I called it Paying for the right to Complain. An example> If a guy brings me an old rusty beat up Porsche. And he asks me to paint it. And he gives me $5 and a gallon of noise paint and a one inch paint brush. As long as I make the car white, that’s it. His expectation should be very low.

On the other hand, if a guy brings me a brand new Porsche because he just doesn’t like the color and wants the color changed. And gives me a briefcase with enough money to choke a horse, then I better warm up the Magic Wand and impress this gentleman with a Miracle paint job.
……Because he is ‘Paying for the Right to Complain’. His Expectations are much higher because he is paying much more.

Relating this logic to yo-yos does not dictate or indicate any exact dollar amount. In other words I am not going to use a $400 dollar as an example. The higher expectation ‘buy in’ price will/would simply be directly related to your budget.

So….If $100 is a lot of money to you, you want to get the very best quality available at that price. If $250 is your personal range, than at that price point, you want to he convinced/satisfied with the cost of your purchase. There is nothing wrong with your budget range. We all have to set various limits to how much we spend on what at the time we are going to purchase something.

But regardless, the standard logical mindset is something like this> $250? The yo-yo I want to buy is $250. That’s a tall stack of change. I’m willing to spend that much but that sucker better be Perfect! Spin forever…… No ano flaws…… best material available and No Vibe! At that price it should literally float silently. That is basically ‘logical’. And somewhat reasonable. Unfortunately, not necessarily the reality.

Some folks would immediately contradict me by saying, ‘Well, you’re full of it because I personally know Makers that only ‘make’ PERFECTLY smooth/vibe free yo-yos’.

That is the same kind of Mud that Pigs play in. People that suggest that are just dreaming.

The Makers with excellent quality control, make sure they only Sell yo-yos that pass the highest standards to meet A grade status. Unless they announce they are releasing a B grade batch, you won’t see or get a vibey yo-yo. Some people that just don’t bother to grasp this and possibly bought several yo-yos from an A grade only seller will speak a false reality. They may say something like, ‘Well, I know this Company that only makes perfect yo-yos because every one I have from them is perfectly smooth, etc.’. Lol.

Years ago, I bought a YYR Dazzler when they were first released. I think it was about $600 at the time. My standard logic was no different than any other reasonable person. For 6 Dead Presidents that sucker should float like a cloud. BZZZZZZZZZ, Fail! It has a little vibe. Not a lot. But it’s there. It’s Still one of the Best Ti yo-yos after all this time.

So… here is the very bottom line. We all expect to get the very best value for the money we spend on yo-yos. Only an Idiot would say they don’t want a perfect product. But when reality sets in>

Yo-yo vibe is an unnecessary and negative preoccupation. I’m not saying we should like vibe or that vibe is good or fun, etc.
I’m saying that it’s a waste of mental energy being bothered by it.

……1 important thought that centers around the vibe phobia>

Since Vibe seems to be somewhat ingrained if the yoyoer mind…… I guess the biggest problem isn’t with the vibey yo-yo owner himself. The vibe factor can be a real pain for the vibey yo-yo seller.

Nobody goes to the vibe detecting Academy. So there is no refined Standard to classify a Scale of vibe intensity. Most all of us(including me) seem to have a very different view on how much or how little vibe is: expected, unwanted, unbearable, acceptable, etc.

A person selling a yo-yo may honestly feel his yo-yo is pretty darn smooth. The buyer gets the yo-yo and as soon as he rolls it down the string, it’s time to have a Cow! <> and seriously feel you got ‘robbed’:nerd_face:

If you communicate after the sale and come to a fair agreement, that’s only half the battle.

The second battle begins when you decide you want to sell the vibey yo-yo to get funds for your next ‘Miracle smooth yo-yo’. Now……… now, you have to figure out the best way for you to describe ‘the vibe’. That can make or break a deal. And that’s a tough situation, there. < You got it that way, Now what? If you honestly and accurately describe the vibe and the potential buyer understands and says no big deal, ok, yo-yo sold.

Or if the potential buyer wants to use the vibe as a bargaining chip to get you to take it in the shorts and drop the price, that can be kinda disappointing.

I don’t have the Magic solution for that.

It seems like the reality is it’s just part of the game we may never like but just have to deal with…

Life is tough🙀

12 Likes

Amen… :nauseated_face:

5 Likes