How to test for vibe

Is it like a sensory thing that people have with vibe that sets them off about it? ive thrown a lot of vibey yoyos and it just doesnt bother me enough to get mad at

8 Likes

I think when you are into the collecting side of the hobby then I can understand why vibe could be upsetting

2 Likes

My collapsar has no vibe.

I have diagnosed OCD and I’ve mostly managed to restrict its tangible scope to a few hobbies. Collecting and maintaining yoyos is one of them, so I do have a very particular standard when it comes to vibe. I’d stress about it too much otherwise.

1 Like

I feel learning to get over vibe is a life lesson :)… got a cool yo that came with vibe and learned to apprecaite the vibe… got over my hatred for vibe after that

7 Likes

Agreed, if something is mint it has to be completely original. Personally I think it should have less than a couple hours of play time to be considered mint. You where absolutely mislead with that purchase period.

If the pads are broke in and everything else is still perfect it can be listed as “used mint condition”.

2 Likes

Vibe is the most upsetting to those who don’t play yoyo.

22 Likes

Collectors be like…

VIBE

/vīb/

noun

1. a person’s emotional state or the atmosphere of a place as communicated to and felt by others.
      "a lot of moody people giving off bad vibes "

What vibe really means?

: a distinctive feeling or quality capable of being sensed This place has a good/bad vibe. She gave me a weird vibe. = She gave off a weird vibe. =

So does Vibe = SOUL?

SOUL

/sōl/

noun

1. the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.
    1. emotional or intellectual energy or intensity, especially as revealed in a work of art or an artistic performance. “their interpretation lacked soul”
6 Likes

Jokes aside, misleading BST posts are actually really bad and should be condemned regardless of opinion on vibe. If a seller says one thing and delivers something the buyer didn’t expect, the buyer really shouldn’t be questioned and imo is fully in the right to request a partial refund or full refund if they send the yoyo back. If I sold somebody something and they were unhappy with it, I wouldn’t think twice about offering them either of those options. Maybe that’s an unpopular opinion, but honestly, if you buy a cheeseburger that doesn’t come with cheese, there shouldn’t be any hesitation about just saying “hey this isn’t what I thought I was buying, this isn’t what I wanted.”

I do worry though when selling to people who immediately open with “has this yoyo been unscrewed before?” I’m expecting that to be a red flag that something I’d consider to be dead smooth might have some microscopic amount of nail vibe they’d consider to just be unacceptable.

11 Likes

Most vibe is felt on the string or from grinds, outside of that I don’t think vibe is worth checking, is the yo-yo smooth and fun? Good enough. Checking for fingernail vibe is just not my scene, I don’t think people should obsess over it

4 Likes

We hyperfocus on vibe so much we forget our vibes :pensive:

2 Likes

I’d rather not sell to a buyer who asks that. My yo-yos are for playing, even the expensive ones.

It’s like buying a used car and asking if it’s ever had an oil change.

10 Likes

I am just here to say that ive purchased ~150 yoyos in the past 3 years ive been buying new yoyos, and all but 5 or 6 from BST (im excluding obvious BST purchases with damage). Almost all of them have slight nail vibe from the start. Strangely enough, the smoothest yoyo ive ever had is one from YYF, my crazy awful smooth Bettynova. The others vary between slight nail vibe at the smoothest, to nail vibe, and slight string vibe at worst. Aside from noisy bearings, nothing you would notice in play.

My used stuff gets slightly more vibe the more I use it even if I don’t ding it, so I can see the appeal to resell at the same level as people buy. I haven’t encountered a yoyo with slight nail vibe and no dings that has started developing even the slightest feel of string vibe though. Ti is the most resistant, and my brand new Ti-Vayder that I beat to $h*T, played drunk 5A with, and sparked countless times just now has “fingernail vibe”.

YMMV of course, but this is just my encounter with more modern yoyos and vibe. I have plastics with pulse vibe, but I bet you would never encounter this in a modern yoyo without either defects or damage.

2 Likes

I thought about JT earlier in this thread. I love the philosophy of “I know this yoyo has some vibe and I don’t need to hear about it. Deal with it or don’t” (my words not theirs)

1 Like

I appreciate the finger nail vibe test instruction good to know how to do it.

What causes vibe in a yo-yo?
What does a yo-yo having vibe tell about the yo-yo?

I am not well educated in engineering problems.
These are some of the things I thought caused vibe and solutions I have used to reduce vibe.

I thought vibe was caused by damage to one or both the yo-yo halves, manufacturing quality making and matching halves, or
Adjustable things like axil depth, deep threads for the axil allowing for the the axil to be shifted more to one side or the other.
When I have vibe I can notice during play. I will evaluated for visible damage adjusted the axil, then I examine the bearing, most of the time it is the bearing. When I get vibe in a throw. I will remove the bearing shields, clean the bearing then spin the bearing on an bearing removal tool with compressed air and watch the bearing spin down to be sure it is smooth. That will almost remove all noticeable vibe during play with my throws unless there is damage.

I notice that sometimes the bearing change its sound when it is the bearing causing the vibe.

I hope this helps people I am sure most of this is known. If I am mistaken please correct me. Thanks everyone have a great middle of the week.

2 Likes

Wrap the string around your finger

Stick it in your ear.

This is a very accurate way to measure vibe.

Totally useless but I’m down with increasing the knowledge base :innocent:

7 Likes

Forget the fingernail test.

The problem with the fingernail test is inconsistency. The different degrees of sensitivity from person to person. The length of your fingernail. The hardness/softness of your fingernail can be more forgiving if your nail is soft and smooth. Or it can be more harsh and chatter if your fingernail is hard.

A harder nail will amplify the sound and magnify the vibe, whereas a softer nail will not amplify the sound and will dull the chatter.

(Better method is to use a credit card. Hold the credit card with your thumb dead center of the back of the card. And hold your index, middle and ring finger vertically on the front side of the card, aligned with the thumb. Just hold with a firm but not stranglehold right grip.)

Let’s begin>
Have the card ‘ready’. Hold it in your non throw hand by cupping it between your palm and ring and pinky finger… Give the yo-yo a good solid throw. Once it hits the bottom of the string, use your pointer finger and your thumb on your non throw hand to pinch the yo-yo string about 6 inches above the yoyo. Transfer the string at that point to the thumb and pointer finger of the throw hand.

That is why you initially hold the card low in your non throw hand. So you will have your thumb/pointer free to pinch the string.

Once you have the string pinched in the throwing hand, bring your support hand towards your chest until you touch the bottom edge of the card against your chest. At that point, with the bottom of the card against your chest, slightly relax your ring/pinky grip and let the card slide up enough to center your thumb on the back and your 3 fingers(no pinky) on the front.

Hold the edge of the card up to the edge of the yo-yo(slowly). Let the card ride the edge of the yo-yo and gauge the vibe.

This method is much more consistent in helping chart the various degrees of vibe as you go through your collection.

I wouldn’t kid you…. I’ve been using this method for years🙀

Even though my explanation is kinda ‘plodding along’ to read, it is actually very fast.

If anybody is interested, I would have no problem doing a video so you guys can see just how swift the process is.

11 Likes

Videos are always appreciated, then you could also share the audio of the card rubbing on the rim of a Vibeless Throw.

3 Likes

Plus who throws a yo-yo just to rub their fingernail on it

2 Likes

Just one time before you sell it on the BST is all we’re asking.

All this activity on the post I feel like this is where I plug my bands next live show or something

4 Likes