How to learn drums?

I have had a drum kit for a moth or two now and I have enjoyed learning some easy songs, but I am a little confused what to learn next and the order that I should learn future skill in. When learning yo-yo tricks, it was really nice to have a trick list so that I knew exactly what to learn next. Anyone know of any free resources like that for learning the drums? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Eli! I’ve been playing drums since I was 3, jazz drumming was my major in college, and I gig regularly/teach on the side so I’d love to help out, and you can always message me anytime if you ever have any questions. I don’t know if you’ve checked it out already, but Drumeo on YouTube is probably the best high quality, free resource out there. There are so, so, so many channels and you can get into the niche of whatever you want to learn but Drumeo is probably the best place to start in a general sense.

I will say though that unlike yoyoing, drumming is definietely less of a “teach yourself” kinda thing. That’s not to say you can’t (I was self taught up until college), but you will learn faster and go further with a dedicated private lesson teacher. You want someone who you can sit in a room with who will personalize lessons to you based on your needs specifically, give you material that excites you specifically/teach you things that you want to learn, and is there in the room with you to correct/show you proper technique if needed. The number one reason people quit drums is because they don’t have a teacher showing them what to do next, so they just kinda plateau and don’t progress, and lose interest. Highly recommend getting started with Drumeo but also seriously taking a look at hiring a local instructor in your area. Even taking just 2-3 lessons up front will save you A LOT of bad technique you’ll have to correct down the road (and will be harder to correct once it’s ingrained) and give you a fantastic “jumping off” point. I don’t know where you’re located but if you’re in Socal let me know and I’d be happy to teach you myself of refer you to a trusted colleague.

Best of luck and have fun!

7 Likes

Dude so sweet! I’m a drummer and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a couple other drummers on here.

Man, drums are so vast but I would suggest maybe breaking your practice into two categories. Learning songs and having fun, and then also practicing some rudiments doing the boring homework. A lot of drumming comes down to actually being able to hit the drum correctly, so even just practicing a solid beat might seem boring for hours , but would be really good for your snare hand and hi hat hand to get comfortable. Same with that bass drum foot.

Practice locking in your cymbals in tandem with you bass drum.

Learn the value of whole, half, quarter, eighth, and sixteenth notes in relativity to each other. The. You can start making small fills.

Just get used to hitting the things goes a long way.

I practiced with simple bands like the strokes and even the Beatles at first. Then eventually you’ll just get a hold of beats that you like and they will evolve.
:man_shrugging:

I know none of this really answered your question looking for a resource to follow, but those are some starter pointers

Dave elitch
Benny greb
Thomas pridgen

Three of my favorite drummers and teachers all with their own courses from beginner to advance. :pray:

2 Likes

Drumeo! Duh! Nice, slipped my mind. Haha been a while since I’ve been in heavy practice mode for drums. Whattup fellow drummer!

2 Likes

Here’s some drumming! https://youtu.be/xSHoCsEpIrY?si=Z7EhYDSPKgUqJMUA

On the contrary, I’m completely self taught , I’m sure I’m not as good as you though, but jamming and self teaching is possible.

Melodics has a new feature that supports acoustic kits. I have been using this to teach my 7yo kid drums in the past few months.

Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions!

And I thought Angle2ups coordination was impressive! That’s really cool!

1 Like