How to get over dings?

I recently dinged my Pom Draupnir.

1 Like

Grab a yoyo. Take it to gravel or cement. Walk the dog. It’s a toy. It’s meant to be played with. If you are scared to hurt them, you won’t fully enjoy them. I’ve had yoyos where I was terrified to ding them. They were grail yoyos for me. They were beautiful. I sold them 2 months after getting them after trying to get them for years. They brought me no joy having them just sit there.

6 Likes

The one downside to dings is that they lower resale value. For expensive yoyos that can be a factor when deciding how cavalier to be when playing with it.

3 Likes

Dings add character and style to a yo-yo! Like worn blue jeans with tears or even a hole!

2 Likes

Dinging a yoyo is the worse if you damage is to much, but if your just worried about small chipped places on your yoyo hurting your hand you can take a metal nail filer and file it down. make it smooth again and your hand should be okay.

2 Likes

@Jake_Elliott said it the best in 2012

Jake_Elliott

Sep '12

Best advice is to get used to dings because they will happen A LOT in the future.

There really is no good way to get rid of them.

Sorry.

3 Likes

Whiskey helps.

edit: didnt mean that in response to zslane.

There is now way to cope with this loss…

Just have to accept that dings will happen, unfortunately. The good thing is, it’s not the end for your yoyo. Most times it’s not going to ruin the yoyo, unless you bent the axle (and even then, you can probably just replace the axle). Might not even have got any vibe from it - I dinged a Shutter really bad, and it’s still smooth.

3 Likes

Yeah absolutely true, so GOOD NEWS, there’s no way a ding, even an epic grand canyon sized ding, would affect the way your yoyo plays. Trust me, I’ve beaten the $&$%&@# out of an Alu test yoyo with a hammer to test and it’s true!

Now damage to the axle or bearing seat is very bad news.

4 Likes

I’m not saying this is wrong, of course it’s right for many yo-yoers, and in general a healthy attitude. However, we are all different, and I try my best not to ding my yo-yos, and I don’t feel it lessens my enjoyment of them in the least.

However, if I ding a yo-yo; while I find it painful, I do try to just move on and let it go. There’s nothing you can do about it anyway… Maybe that yo-yo will become the yo-yo that I play with over concrete, or hand out to a friend or kid to try.

Then again, there are some options if it really bothers you. For the Pom Draupnir, if it’s not too deep a ding, you could re-polish the rims. Other yo-yos could be custom anodized.

I’ve said before that this is worse when it’s an expensive yo-yo that I don’t really care for. I’m not nearly as upset if I know I want to keep it!

1 Like

Only use your prized throws over carpet or other soft floors. Use your less prized throws when yoyoing over concrete or gravel ground.

I have a modest collection of yoyos…wooden fixed axle, plastic unresponsive, plastic looping, metal unresponsive, metal responsive etc…about 20something in total. There are some that I know I will never risk getting a ding on. My Kuntosh 5000QV is my prized yoyo…I never use it except over a soft rug with plenty of space around me, or grass or someplace where it won’t be harmed. But there are others that I have chosen to be my “learning” yoyos. I aim for modestly priced solid performers for these. I’ve got three unresponsives: YYF Shutter, Magicyoyo Stealth, YYF Czech Point Pivot that I have beaten the crap out of. If I’m doing something where there’s a chance I will get a ding. I use one of these with no fear. I bought these three with the specific intent that they be my daily throws for three things. Shutter for it’s all-round goodness. Stealth for it’s bi-metal stability and 7075 body, and Czech Point Pivot because it fingerspins so well. They are my “learning yoyos”.

Same goes for the other types. I’ve got a Duncan Hornet that I’ve slammed off just about everything in my house learning to loop. But that thing is built to last so it’s great for exactly that. I just bought a loop 2020 with the LED lights that I know I won’t risk damaging so I’ll go easy on it for a bit. I’ve got a nice Hildy Bros Currier that I go easy on for fixed axle stuff, and a YYF Legend Wing for stuff where I might hurt it.

Don’t fear dings. Make those yoyos your go-to, every-day-carry, best buddy friends.

5 Likes

I think you are right.

It’s understandable that you’d get bummed about a ding. Not only can these throws we love be expensive, but we become pretty emotionally connected to some of them. And there’s no denying that some of them are really tiny works of art. So yeah, in that light, a ding is going to suck.

But there is power in getting past that way of thinking. While “things” are cool and pretty and have resale value that should be protected, “experiences” are where the real power and heart of the universe is. And the experiences that yoyoing can give you don’t care a bit about how dinged the anno is. The good friends you met at a big contest, the day you amazed a bunch of kids while traveling in Tajikistan, or the time you learned Seasick. Some of the best people in yoyoing understand this. Every time Spencer Berry hands me one of his yoyos, it looks like he’s been using it to hammer nails. @edhaponik knows that every ding tells a story and that all good things must come to an end. Sonny Patrick understands that a cool trick is more important than a collector’s piece. Strive to be like these guys. Strive not to care too much about the outside when the heart is what matters.

I won’t lie and say that I never get bummed when a throw gets its first ding. But try and use that experience as something to free you from needless stress and let you use this silly toy the way it is supposed to be used, with absolutely joy filled reckless abandon.

4 Likes

I like to think of it on an atomic scale. First off, when people say ‘mint’, many associate that with ‘perfect’, which, to a point, is true (as far as the human eye is concerned).

But every time your yoyo touches the surface of something else, there’s a chance of microscopic scratches forming. Besides not using the yoyo at all, this ‘damage’ is unavoidable with normal play. Once you accept that, merely extrapolate those feelings out to a slightly larger scale and dings don’t seem so bad anymore :slight_smile:

no getting over it. some of my favs have dings. Still hurst to remember

1 Like