How to get over "Dinging a Yoyo"

I still get mad at dings when they happen. Playing over carpet obviously helps. Even though most of them don’t change how it plays, I still payed a good bit of money for them and I want them to always look as nice as possible. Condition is just as important as playability, reselling or not IMO

My Echo 2 got a pretty solid ding about 15 minutes after I bought it… bounced it off concrete… haha

My 2003 Freehands are really banged up. I still love them.

My more “fancy” ones don’t have dings… yet… key word… I’ll be upset at the first one, but I’ll get over it pretty quick I’m sure, as I always do.

No plans to sell them, but if I do, I know I’ll take a hit on what I paid. I’d rather play and enjoy them before I over worry about dings.

i like your background photo. Like that band

dings pfffft… i love my surge and no jive

play with wreckless abandon people… beast mode 100% of the time… you’ll get better faster…

you think an athlete gets better only practicing at 80% cause they are afraid to get injured… not they give it 110% all the time.

Injuries happen… so do dings…

thank goodness it didn’t take me years to figure that out.

2 Likes

i think i could make 100 posts in the general forum every day without contributing a single original thought and just linking to old threads and pictures since the entire forum is basically on a 3 day loop where the same 10 threads are constantly started by new authors. video obviously courtesy of steve brown as is the roll model. mint in box code 1 courtesy of jrod, i cant find pics of the code 1 or 2 that is beat to death and written on with sharpie

http://vimeo.com/10357877

if i only played with my yoyos with no intention of reselling them for hopefully what i paid for them i wouldnt care if they got damaged. in fact even though i know ill resell the majority of them i still dont care if they get damaged, it happens. i just happen to play over carpet the majority of the time so its not much of an issue. the rare occasions i pitch the yoyo straight into my wood flood or into a wall it takes about .01 seconds to get over it as im more concerned with whether or not ive damaged my floor or wall than my toy

Im not a hugefan of dings, but if i have a throw i really care for i just make super short string and play around carpet

I hate dings or small scratches on my throws. I tend to do my best to always play over carpet, but that can’t happen all the time. I just do my best to be careful because some of these throws are a lot of money, and just like anything g else you spend a lot of money on, I wanna take care of it, keep it looking nice, and wanting it to last in good shape for a very long time. Just my thoughts… :slight_smile:

I was showing some people some tricks on my first metal yoyo, a dv888, when I was doing around the world and my string broke. Flew 20 feet across a concrete basketball court. Not fun. Idk, the more i use yoyos in general, the less I worry about dinging them.

I was experimenting with 5A on my Yelets since it had a scratch on the rim. I forgot that I was trying it and threw like I was doing 1A. My OD Yelets flew across my garage into a steel bar. Now it is so dinged up I just don’t care. I beat it and it keeps spinning. Recently it finally started vibing but it still works awesome.

Throw it like you stole it! :slight_smile:

Yesterday I lightly dinged my clairview station blizzard canvas on my tooth. I checked my yoyo for damage before checking my own tooth
It all depends on the yoyo as far as damage goes, I usually throw over a thick shag carpet so only a few of my throws actually have dings

For me, I don’t really care much about dings if they happen on the factory finish/anodizing. However, when it’s my own work, such as a polish or powder coat that get’s damaged, then I feel a bit of pain. I think this actually comes from the fact that I put a lot of work into the yoyo, and then it get’s damaged.

Getting over dings takes practice, it’s a skill. This can be practiced by intentionally dinging a yoyo on multiple surfaces. You will soon learn that each ding has its own tone and can bring a certain satisfaction as the sound resonates throughout your world. :wink:

(Disclaimer: Some should take this more as sarcasm than others. Dinging yoyos isn’t for the faint of heart nor for those who have parents that will impose consequences for such behavior. Purposeful dinging of yoyos should be discretionary and practiced by only those that can deal with the sight of scratched, scarred, and broken yoyos.)

Oops fulfilled the duty of every ding thread. Some shall always post that Steve Brown video.

I don’t really care about dings. I mean I’m saddened by the first 1 or 2 on what was a completely mint throw but from then on I just don’t care. I might post pics of my supernova later but for now we’ll just say it’s worse than anything in Oops post.

It takes skill to ding the hub. Now I need to mess up the other side to even it out.

The only time dinging a Yoyo really bothers me, is when I know I am setting myself up for ‘possible problems’ and I continue throwing anyway.

A few examples: 1. It was really cold one night and I was wearing a jacket with a LARGE metal zipper. I was throwing some front style tricks, fully aware of the possible zipper/Yoyo collision. Next thing ya know, Smack! Zipper, 1 … Yoyo zero!

1. I had a knife, clipped to my front left Levi pocket. Usually before throwing, I clip the knife to my back pocket. But why bother. I am only going to throw for a few minutes. Amusing myself, by doing Skin the Gerbil with a Full length string… Ding, ding, ding!

2. I seldom wear any kind of jewelry, but this one day, I was wearing a Horseshoe ring. I had the ring on my non throw hand. So just be careful, right? Wrong… Bamn/Ding. So much for good luck Horseshoe rings, lol.

Those dings bother me, because I could almost predict them. Yet, failed to be more careful.

So, preventable dings bother me.

…I got a better perspective on dings, several years ago. Steve Brown, many years ago, got one of the very first clear MG yoyos. He used to take that Yoyo all over the World. And he used to ding it all over the World, haha. We have been good friends for years. I said to Steve, one day, ‘When you finally get tired of beating up that MG, in the course of your Yoyo adventures, you can send it to me’.

I got it in the mail one day. He didn’t even give me a heads up. It just popped up in my mail, one day.
It has got so many little dings on it, it is amazing. Still plays excellent. Looks like it rolled down a flight or two, of concrete stairs.

But, what was very interesting to me, was that I immediately had a different view of ‘dings’. I realized that just about every mark on this old MG, was made while Steve was having fun. While he was free styling, practicing, giving a Demo, etc. and some of the dings, most likely occurred in numerous Countries. A well travelled and well beaten Yoyo.

It gave me a better perspective, that a Yoyo is not just a toy for fun, but a tool for learning. So whether you are just playing or tearing it up, while learning new tricks; the functioning of the Yoyo is far more important, than the beauty marks it picks up on the road to higher learning.

If you tend to throw in fear of smacking your Yoyo, you are not really having fun.

Be careful, but have fun. Don’t live in fear of dings.

To live in fear, is not living.

Steve Brown didn’t tell me that. The MG he sent me, showed me that.

The Best unintentional Yoyo lesson I have ever received.

Best advice; never buy a Yoyo you are afraid to use. That completely defeats the potential fun factor of throwing.

4 Likes

My root beer puffin cheersed with my brand new chief.
I accidentally stuck the chief in the same pocket as the puffin :’(
I was like aww
then I just put the chief away and play with my puffin.

Best way to get over them is to powder coat it.

Slight correction… Powder coating might be ‘a’ best possible solution, if you like powder coated yoyos.

Some folks don’t care for powder coated yoyos. Or polished yoyos for that matter.

Since you refinish yoyos for money, your suggestion might be considered to have a slight ‘tilt’, in regards to it being the idea solution for ding eradication.

Just sayin

PS I would say, without hesitation, that if I ever decided to have a Yoyo powder coated, you would be the man to see.

1 Like

Simple buy stuff you can actually afford. If you can afford it you won’t care if it is broken. If you can’t you will care. Simple as that. Ever see someone buy a farrari and baby it, then some other guy buy one and wreck it on the track every week, use it as his daily driver and generally just use it as a car? Yeah the second guy can actually afford the car the first can’t.
Same go’s with yoyos. If you pay 400 bucks for a yoyo and just use it then you could afford it. If you are scared to mess it up, it was too costly of a yoyo for you. Not saying you didn’t have the disposable income. What I am saying is that yoyo is beyond your threshold of cost too use. If you truly could afford the 400$ you would both use it and not care what happened too it because 400 bucks isn’t going to amount to crap too you. On the flip side there are the collectors. What they do with yoyos is not something I would add to this topic since this topic is about yoyos someone plays not yoyos someone got for show.

I wouldn’t just wreck something, or be less careful about wrecking something, just because I can afford to buy another one! That would be a waste. I didn’t get to the point in my life where I can afford a $400 yoyo by carelessly using and replacing everything I could “afford” up until now.

The Ferrari guy that trashes his car at the track can MORE than afford it. He can afford to trash it because he has more money than a reasonable person needs… Even with his expensive tastes.