How to? DIY string

Hey everyone!
There are a million resources out there for home made yoyo string. (so if this post isn’t allowed please axe it) and because there is so much my head is getting confused, so I’m going to call on all of you and your experience with this to make me a single list of the BEST recourses to learn to make string and where to get the proper, best materials.

Dummy thicc from bad wolf is my favorite so I want to make something semi close to it, so from regular to fat size, and varying sizes. I want to make good stuff!

2 Likes

Making strings can be a lot of fun, so definitely try it out! Or you can subscribe to our monthly strings haha

This is a really great thread to start with: String making introduction mega-thread. New to this craft? Start here!

I also made a little animation that should explain things more clearly. Read the thread first and then check the animation out and you should have a pretty good idea of what to do. Let me know if you have any questions!

String Making Animation

11 Likes

Yes! I need to subscribe to your monthly strings. I’ve tried a few and I like them :slight_smile:

But, I do want to make my own, for the fun-Ness of things! And actually, that animation makes 100% sense and finally allowed me to understand how it’s done!
As an electrical engineer small animations and schematics make more sense to me than anything lol

3 Likes

That’s awesome, glad it helped. A few other things I’ve learned that might be helpful…

• You don’t need two drills, you can just sorta toss the one forward after the first reduction and before doubling it. Two drills is helpful tho.
  • Reduction percentages can be helpful but how hard you pull back on the drill will influence how tight the wind is even at the same reduction amount. Instead try and maintain the same backwards pressure during the initial reduction and use a stop watch to time it. You’ll get much more consistent results.
  • Always measure to the same length. Shorter strings will reduce faster.
  • Different materials reduce at different rates
2 Likes

That’s Greta advice!

After a few attempts and trial and error I have made some! The yellow one was twice the thickness of dummy thicc, the orange was just bigger than dummy thicc and the blue one is the size of a kitty regular.
LOL one wrap changes everything.

2 Likes