How picky are you about your yoyo string, bearings and pads?

I like specific bearings and specific string depending on the throw. I find it kind of fun to mix and match depending on the specific throw until it feels right for me. It doesn’t have to be the same or exact, but I do find when things click. Pads i don’t really care about.

Bearings - not at all, I use the cheapest 52100 chrome steel bearings I can get my hands on plus a boatload of sewing machine oil+teflon
String -long enough and synthetic? Count me in in!
Response - pads wear out, pick another yoyo.
I’m happy to have working yoyo’s at this point really.

Extremely unpicky, I play pretty much everything stock and just use whatever string I have at the moment. The only thing that I really care about is that the string/pads are at least matched well enough so that you don’t have every other bind slip and also so that the yoyo doesn’t constantly snag. Lately I’ve been playing with kitty normal a lot, any yoyos I’ve had with really slippy binds have instantly felt a lot better after putting some YYF blue pads in. I wouldn’t say those are my preferred pads, but I got a bunch of them for free and they’re giving me the results I want with the string I’ve got.

3 Likes

Pretty much parts is parts here. Have mostly used generic string, usually the bearing that came with the yoyo unless I swap it out for a Dif-e-yo concave. Same with stock pads unless I can’t get them, then whatever fits.

1 Like

I believe OD does sell 19mm pads.

For me, I’m not picky about bearings and pads, though I’ll prefer a concave bearing. For strings however, I want my strings to be of normal thickness, at most between normal and fat, and super-duper soft, the softer the better.

1 Like

Very Picky

1 Like

Unless I’m mistaken, the Flow Pads are thicker than standard pads and fit most OD’s while the “slim” pads are thinner and only fit in a few certain ones.

Ah. I thought you meant fitting OD pads in other yo-yos from other brands. But yeah, most ODs use their proprietary Flow Groove Pads and some use the standard 19mm. It’s a bit annoying to have to stock 2 different types of pads for my One Drops.

2 Likes