How often do you replace response pads?

I almost never do. If I pay with a yoyo a lot, I might once a year. I think in the past 5 years I’ve replaced 5 sets of response pads across all my yo-yos. The only yoyo I’ve ever replaced pads in twice is my OG shutter, and I’ve played with that consistently for over 3 years

I’m guessing this is not the norm, so I figured I’d ask the community. Personally, I have a much bigger issue with unwanted binds than missed binds.

2 Likes

They last a looooooooooooong time. A long long time. You can visually tell when silicone response pads are wearing out when they start to curve inward toward the bearing, I posted a pic of it here:

From a play perspective, I guess if you’ve replaced the string and the bearing and the binds are still weird… it’s gotta be pad replacement time.

2 Likes

My N12 no longer binds from lacerations like it used to do, so I did what most people did and ordered some pads. Too bad to this day they remain in my yoyo utility bag because I stripped the N12 before it arrived.

RIP

5 Likes

One yoyo can go through weeks to months of heavy play before needing replacement.

Silicone lasts much shorter, maybe a week or two of heavy play.

3 Likes

^ this is why im on team no silicone - long cure time, messy application, and doesn’t even last that long :pensive:

5 Likes

Maybe once every year or two at this point :joy:

I have more than one yoyo, but my sili jobs lasts for years. Never had one fail or burn out yet. But like I say, its not just one throw that gets used day in and day out.

2 Likes

Almost never

1 Like

Depends on what kind of player you are, some very good players I know replace it in weeks because they want that perfect bind in their routine or they have insane regens (esp horizontally). Some player’s style don’t tax the response much and it could be like for months and months.

4 Likes

When they come out on their own or if I just really don’t like the pads that came in a yoyo. I have had one instance of each of these reasons.

2 Likes

When my yoyo doesn’t respond properly. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Generally I can get a year out of standard response pads myself. But lately I’ve been using flowable silicone and that only last about a month.

3 Likes

Not me, I have just replaced my yoyofactory yellow response pads (that ones that should typically last forever) after 2 1/2 months!!! I wonder why… do any of you have suggestions for me?

Who exactly said they should last forever?

I know I have a yoyo that will last forever… And I have a string that will last forever.

…And I have a bearing that will last forever.

But who ever said yellow response pads would/will last forever?

My Marco’s response pads just fell out a couple days ago. The yoyo still works surprisingly well without pads… I could bind easily.

1 Like