How much vibe is too much?

True! :slight_smile:

I donā€™t mind vibe or damage too much, especially if it means I can get it the throw for cheap on the bst :wink:

But Iā€™d lying if I said I donā€™t want all my yoyos to be unscathed and feel like butter on finger grinds. I donā€™t mind vibe in general, especially string vibe, but thereā€™s something about doing a finger grind on a dead smooth beadblasted yoyo that just feels so good.

The only time vibe really bothers me is when itā€™s a result of damage.

Iā€™m totally fine purchasing a b-grade with vibe, even if the vibe is somewhat prominent. But purchasing an a-grade that vibes because it was fallen on or somethingā€¦ not so much.

Same here, I will always try to tune out vibe if I can, but itā€™s no big deal if I canā€™t.

When Iā€™m purchasing things, I like to know what to expect, then Iā€™m okay with it normally.

I can corroborate this. You could hand Eric a tumor on a string and heā€™d still use it and tell you it ā€œplays fineā€.

At lot of us who have been demonstrators first, players second, are like this. You get accustomed to using whatever is at hand, fully stock, and just moving your tricks around the equipmentā€™s limitations.

I can test yoyos for vibe in a manufacturing situation, but when Iā€™m just playing with something I donā€™t care much.

1 Like

I definitely have a threshold for vibe with new throws. Itā€™s when I can feel the vibe with the yoyo just hanging on the string. If I feel like Iā€™m swinging a bag of bees around, it definitely ā€œbugsā€ me.

That said, I have a certain favorite yoyo that Iā€™ve had for many years. It has been damaged, sanded, retapped, and powder coated. It now has a pulsing vibe. I throw that buzzing, reverberating monstrosity everyday at work. I love that piece of junk ;D

Since there is no actual unit of measurement for vibe, itā€™s kinda hard to ask ā€œhow much is too muchā€. I mean, what is anyone gonna say? ā€œI think 8 terraflops of vibe is too much.ā€ We donā€™t have a unit of measurement for it.

Itā€™s 100% up to the individual if whatever vibe that particular yoyo has is too much. Iā€™d recommend not worrying too much about it, but whatever makes you happy.

Just gave me an idea on how to make my second million, a device that can accurately measure vibe. Yoyo players will eat it up!

Now to continue working on my first million. :wink:

Better hurry, me and Morgoroth are working on a device that measures vibe and float, with
a cool string cutter too!

Sounds cool, but can it calculate spin time?

Add a double nut axle remover and bearing remover and Iā€™m sold.

Well, when it starts messing with your string and reducing your spin times by over 30% it would be bad, but still not too much. Too much vibe is when the yoyo starts tumbling end over end. AKA the RALLYxNINEDRAGONS.

Over 30 percent?

rotflmao

For me; I gauge the max as; when throwing outdoors at high noon with an onshore breeze of 4.3 knots and a barometric pressure of 29.4 with a prevailing temperature of approx. 88.6(+-2) using a full length Kitty 1.5 string powered by an 80 percent power throw down of a 64.7 gram tri-metal yoyo containing a 10 ball center-trac bearing juiced up with 1/5 of a drop of vm4 lube. < the maximum allowable vibration would not exceed 24.475 percent vibratones per millisecond nominal.

30 percent is actually a Felony in California.

2 Likes

No no you got it all wrong. You canā€™t just write the percentage of your power throw down, because it depends on the amount of glucose in your bloodstream. You need to convert it into a Newtonian constant before calculating otherwise the result will be invalid.
Also vibratones is imperial, while millisecond is metric, you can see how you mixed it up there. You need to convert it into metric vibratones, times 10x10^2 to make it millivibratones, and by then you can divide it with millisecond.
Personally I can handle at most 5 percent vibratones nominal, otherwise I will tune it with Euler first order differential equation because I like how the risk of damaging the yoyo can be minimized down to 1% compared to bayesian method. If it isnā€™t tunable then the price should be half of what I have paid for.

You are correctā€¦ I totally forgot the Euler first order differential equation. Before I wrote my response; I had just subjected myself to 5 kbars of exposure to a dilithium coated Phospho spiked vacuum chamber. It normally takes 5 parsecs of cool down to re-triangulate my molecular grid.
So I was only functioning at 87 percent focus capacity.

My baddšŸ¤“

As was noted by many in the original Star Wars; the parsec is a measure of distance not time. A parsec is 3.26 light years - or one arc-second between the object and observer.

Einstein, however, might argue that space IS time. But that would be a digression ā€¦relatively.

Of Course!
The tool is basically the McGyver of yoyo tools.
It does everything!

Some of itā€™s features include:

1. String cutter with attached string cutter.
  2. Vibe Assist.
  3. Lube Calculator (Standard)
  4. Side impact hubstack air bags.
  5. Curb feelers.
  6. Lube Calculator (Metric)
  7. Float Compensatory (Pictured Below)

The rest are patent pending.

Seriously though, here is my TooHot.
Itā€™s been my everyday for a year and a half.
I carry it because I donā€™t want to ding my other throws, and because itā€™s still one of the best most stable throws I own.

It makes itā€™s own little hum, but itā€™s still really low on the vibe spectrum.
In fact I would even say that the little hum helps me feel what itā€™s doing on the string before I can see it.

Ed H. has a whole thing (maybe in his blog?) about how his favorite No Jive has itā€™s own special vibe.

The short version is, these things are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for, and our gear obsession is not that big of a factor in play-ability.

As long as it spins on the end of the string, play it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Wu0po6PWNzMUg4YU9BR1c0NE0/view?usp=drivesdk

Steve-Still laughing about the tumor on a string. Only you could make cancer funny. Also, that should be the name of Ericā€™s next signature throw. Or at least a band or something.

The thing about the Kessle run is that you can take ANY path through it you want, but the more direct, the more dangerous. Han was braggin about, not how fast he made it through, but rather the distance he took through it, (12 being INSANE and it took you through the most dangerous part) while others has to meander around the core. At least thats the ideaā€¦

1 Like

Posts # 32-35 just made me laugh so dang hard!!! :joy::joy::joy: