How many throws could you break a new string with if you tried to break it?

kitty string with a fixy. 1.
epic string on quake. uh.

it happend to me once, after i played 2months and a half with the same string

The last time I tested this (which was a few years ago…), I seem to remember string lasting for around 18 hours of solid play.

If one were to do three combos / throws a minute x 18hrs, you would be looking 3240 throws.

Using different yoyos and adjusting your playing style could drastically change the results.

But were you trying to break it? Or were you just testing it’s regular life?

I like the math, makes sense.

I have broken stuff throwing string eater yoyo’s. When I first started I broke a fluorescent light where I work…lol and I shattered that sucker. That’s when I learned about string replacement.

I think if I really tried hard, and had mid to low string, and I mean chucking that yoyo hard, I might be able to do it in 100 throws.

Now before everyone goes all ham on me for saying that, it is only a guess…lol and if I tried I would do it where no small children, kittens, puppies or valuables around. Maybe I’ll make a video and give this a try. I’ll review the toughest string.

Type of string will also have an enormous impact.

It might be that the strings I use make me feel like I would never break one. Certainly traditional type-6 (3 strands poly, 3 strands cotton) isn’t going to last as long as a Toxic Dragon.

Sometimes I don’t change my string for more then a week with several hours a day throwing. I never break the string. I also don’t set my yoyos up to have the death drop at the end of the throw.

Only broken one string. Bound my onestar and when it got to my hand the part of the string the slip knot goes around snapped and shot half way across the room, yoyo still in hand. No idea how, and it blew my mind.

Crazy. So the string snapped, but…

So agree. I feel like my toxic string will never break. That stuff is amazing.

If I tried? One.

2 Likes

THANK YOU

I was surprised when I actually broke General-Yo Kevlar String…

Cotton string- .5 of a throw lol
YYE Strings Polyester-5 or so

This is when I’m really throwing it lol, hard enough to break the yoyo if it hits something.

I wish the lines at Disneyland, were as short as the line that would form, of the guys that might take that challenge, lol.

I can’t even imagine anybody outside of 'product testing, that would spend 4 seconds with that curiosity.

I do know people that have literally snapped strings with one throw>> Steve Brown… Dave Capurro… and Rick ’ snap that string’ Wyatt. <> but that was back in the cotton string days.

Unless you have a yoyo with ’ cutting issues’, you will not be breaking any good quality Poly strings, with a quickness.

1 Like

I would pay a few dollars to see people try. Capture it in 240fps so that I can super slo-mo their Matrix maneovers as it bounces from the end of the string back toward their heads. :wink:

Seriously, though. Don’t do this, kids.

In 25 years of throwing, I’ve broken maybe 5-6…

It’s really not that bad. If you aim at something relatively soft it just hits it and doesn’t do damage.

The thought of someone actually intentionally playing a string until it breaks is so absurd to me that I must ask: Are you trolling? If not, can you tell me how many times you’ve hit yourself in the head with the yo? I inquire as It seems relevant. ::slight_smile: (Just kidding but playing a string until it breaks makes no sense to me for so many reasons.)

First of all: do you throw upwards? Because that would be the only way to hit yourself on the head with a throw. And interestingly, I broke a string right before my performance at ner in 2012. I had even put a new string on a few hours earlier.