How long does it take to get picked up by a team?

(angryskills) #1

So I was sort of just thinking about this and thought id ask. Thanks guys

(angryskills) #2

…After you have gone to or won contests.

You have to build a following, simple as that.

(angryskills) #4

ya but i mean how much time did it take, lets say, Gentry to get picked up by team yyf after his first contest? thx for the info though :stuck_out_tongue:

Theres a time and place for everything. Time varies from person to person. Plus the impact that you have at a contest is important too; you want to be a person that people can easily identify. Like mrciurleo, you have to put yourself out there and be a known individual in the community

(angryskills) #6

ok, i understand. thanks :slight_smile:

I would improve on improving your tricks and style. Once you’re good enough, companies will know.

(angryskills) #8

how many of you guys are on a team?

Not many, probably 1 or 2

Man, if only we knew

Just so you know, gentry was with One Drop before he was with yoyofactory. I don’t know how many of you know this, so if you don’t know, now you know!

…but even then I don’t know how long he was with OneDrop before he got with Yoyofactory.

I’d say 2 weeks of yoyoing is pretty standard for getting sponsored.

It’s insane how his style has changed so much

(angryskills) #14

i didnt know that he was with one drop first :stuck_out_tongue: thanks 4 da info

I’d say the 10,000 hour rule is a good place to start. Once you have practiced hard for a combined total of 10,000 hours then you will have teams begging you to join. I’m a prodigy so it only took 90 days and I’d guess about 1,000 hours of play and had a few teams after me. I didn’t want throwing to turn into a job so I actually kept my day job, bought a ton of new throws, and just throw casually for myself now. It was a great ride while it lasted though.

(angryskills) #16

Awesome. btw have you seen that ‘10000 hours’ youtube video?

(Owen) #17

About as long as it takes for you to become good and have recorded yourself being good.

what are the reasons to switch sponsorship other than money? or maybe your own throw being made.?

Dang. That combo right after the behind the back one was CRAZY GOOD

LeftyLink hit the nail on this one. I’ve seen kids being picked up within months of showing their fresh faces on the Internet. Then I have friends who have started way before my time aren’t on any teams. I sometimes forget that I’m on a team when at a contest just yo-yoing and kicking back honestly.

Shouldn’t be asking ‘how long’ it takes, you should be asking ‘what it takes’… Or something like that.