How is it that something as simple as the yoyo is so much fun?

I mean, on the surface the yoyo is a simple toy. Sure, there is a tremendous amount of engineering behind modern yoyos. But, tonight, I played yoyo in Times Square with three other grown men, and we had fun for a few hours. We drew attention of some passers by, we shared tricks (actually they shared, I learned), but we had fun.

I think I finally get yoyo expert’s tag line - make the simple amazing. Such a simple toy, but, you can do amazing things with it.

French
Edited to fix typo in my name.

Well, although simple in design, what you can do with a yoyo is endless. You’ll never get to a point where you can say “there’s nothing more for me to learn,” cause there are endless amounts of tricks, mounts and combinations. And when you finally do nail that trick you’ve been grinding on for days, the reward is handsome. also, everyone has their own style so it never just liner.

Not only that, it can be taken as a sport. Or it can be taken as a means of meditation.

And then there’s the collectable side. Tons of yoyos and tons of colorways. This in itself is a hobby for many.

Yoyos are not just toys. They are as much a tool as they are toys. That’s why we keep learning. That is why we keep throwing. That’s what it is to be a thrower.

Ps. You spelt your name wrong.

It’s also one of those things that you can take and use almost anywhere* and doesn’t require being charged or any kind of signals to function properly. Its one of those things that once you get going, your mind is concentrating on those intricate maneuvers you’re doing and in the long run, take the mind off of whatever may have been stressing you out or annoying you prior to picking up a yoyo. Lastly, there’s that sense of accomplishment, the “Yes! I landed it!”

Funny how though we’ve managed to incorporate high tech gadgets with simple toys. Who would have thought we would even be thinking of the word “#trickcircle” when you picked up your first yoyo way back when? Who would have thought we could show the world our latest “trickcircle” as opposed to just being with a group of friends in a literal trick circle as you showed each other your tricks.

I was at an area park a couple weekends back saving some unreserved picnic tables for a few hours until the rest of the group showed up for my niece’s birthday. I could have brought my 3DS with me and played that or browsed the web on my phone but I opted to bring my yoyo case with me. I spent the majority of that time throwing, didn’t even bother bringing the game system and kept my phone browsing to a minimal while I messed around with my yoyos. It kept me busy for sure!

Of course when it’s time to put things away, you can just stuff it in a pocket or your yoyo clip attached to the side of you.

*excluding the break room at my work, and Disneyland

Endless possibilities and a creative outlet that allows you to share your uniqueness.

Not only that, but have you thought how long a yoyo can last if you treat it right? It can last countless years and still bring you the same amount of fun as when you first got it. It is amazing how a simple thing has a huge impact on so many people’s lives and it will continue to do so in the future. :smiley:

L

Like some other people wrote… there is never an end to what you can learn or do. I just started a few months ago and I am not a super fast learner and don’t really feel like I am very coordinated but I am getting the basics down and at times I feel like I hit a wall and want to just give up but then I break through that wall. I must have practiced trying to do Flying Trapeze for 10 or more hours and just this morning I was able to do it almost perfect 2 out of 5 times which to ME was A HUGE DEAL! Since this is considered the foundation of all string tricks…once I get this trick down and can do it as easily as a forward pass I will work on Double or Nothing and then Triple or Nothing.

for me, it keeps me alive in every sense of the term.

as you already probably know, i get bullied for little to no reason quite relentlessly, and without the support of my non-related family here, i would probably not be typing this.

it is also like an addiction, i have to do it at least once a day for an hour or ill go crazy.

also, im a VERY imaginative guy, so between this, youtube, and writing my book, you could say i have a wandering min-SQUIRREL when it comes to creativity (this is also why i cant do only 1a for an entire day, i have to do cw or 3a or anything else lol)

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yoyoing in public sucks… more people to join and have fun together.

Playability, collectability, skill, and the general challenge of learning/making tricks. It’s a toy/hobby that gets you away from technology and makes you use your eyes, hands, and mind. And then you have customization to make your yoyo suit you: color, shape, bearings, strings, lubes, weight/side effects. You’re the one that makes the yoyo dance on the string, and the yoyo puts a smile on your face.

the truth ^