How I mod my Deep State (and other yo’s)

CoreCo pads are the exact same size as Duncan Friction Stickers

3 Likes

So here is where I say that I no longer have the steady hand needed to flow my own pads. But I’m still going to see how these end up and how they play. I’ll need to try some of those Core Co pads for sure.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh!!! Those are awful!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I also ordered the stainless steel shims. I feel like I’ll just end up sticking with these, as the way I shake these days just makes this stuff too difficult to get right. I just went for a pack of .01 and a pack of .02. It was a tad expensive but I’ll have plenty.

I feel like I’m going to be digging a lot of silicone out of these 3 yo-yos. :flushed:

I couldn’t let that silicone dry like that. I just couldn’t. I’m sure we could all see that those were not going to play very nicely. I put the halves in Ziploc bags with 99% alcohol. That’ll get all that stuff off. :wink:

Did not know Alcohol removes Silicon.

It will soften it. Loosen its hold on things. It takes it a minute but I caught it before it really set so it’s mostly off now. Just a little left and I’m still soaking it. It’ll be a clean surface ready for some new pads later tonight.

I will say though, the ziplocs were a bad call. It’s gonna start leaking in short order. So I moved it to a steel bowl.

1 Like

If anyone would like to hire me to flow some pads on their most prized yo-yos, I’m sure we can work something out.

Thanks @Exmime — we just supplied more to YYE.

5 Likes

Awesome. Y’all rock. Now all our D and A bearing yo-yos can be fixed without having to make a blank ourselves.

2 Likes

Once cured silicone will just peel straight off.

Silicone (especially flowable) doesn’t require a steady hand or careful application. You can be very sloppy and overfill the groove as much as you want, then just run a plastic card over the top of it all to flatten it out to be flush with the surface of the yoyo. All the excess will just peel straight off with no fuss once it’s cured. Silicone doesn’t leave any messy residue like the adhesive from pads.

5 Likes

Perhaps I will try again. I plan to get a syringe to make it a little easier. If you send me your most prized yo-yo I’ll flow you a set in for free. :grin::woozy_face:

Disclaimer: sender accepts all responsibility for whatever happens…

In all honesty I was feeling really hopeful to get that wide pad flowed into the Bumblebee because I really think it’ll make a nice improvement to the response. It played pretty nice with the stickers it came with while they lasted. Sometimes things that aren’t that big of a deal seem huge to me so you are right. It does peel right off. Thank you for that. :wink:

3 Likes

Alright. The stainless steel shims are the end for me. I bought a pack of the .020 and a pack of the .010. It seems that one of each gives me exactly what I’m looking for. Though 2 of the .010s makes it play like a looper and 2 .020s gets closer to semi responsive with a thicker string but very predictable and consistent with no lube at all. I did 4 yo-yos and still have enough for 6 more. Though I don’t have 6 more yo-yos needing shims.

So you can imagine the size of these 20 little shims. They came in this box. :rofl:

4 Likes

I got my bearing blank today. But I ordered the Luftwerk and that’s for C bearing yo’s. I looked back though and saw that what @Captrogers used was the El Mijo blank. Oops. I ordered one from ZRGT. I’m glad that someone said something to them and they put it up on their site. :grin:

Now I may just give this Luftwerk a go in one of my Deep States. Deeper too. See what that’s like. I’m curious as the Imperial is the only fixie I’ve ever played.

1 Like

It feels wrong after going through so much to get it shimmed just right. :flushed:
But the blank also needs the shims.

3 Likes

Man!!! That’s different. It’s the exact opposite of what I was trying to get out of the dry narrow bearing and shims. Super responsive but still sleeps easily. It turned the Deep State into a looping monster. Not even kidding on that. It was like a machine that looped even if you’re not that good at it. I’ll just have to investigate this further.

1 Like

Your selling me on finally nabbing some Luftverk bearing blanks but looks like you might have got the last of them off yye.

Always could just wait till Luftverk drop something interesting/new and nab some direct.

@Captrogers Nope. I ordered straight from Luftwerk. Feels much better than the Imperial and I’m thinking the weight of the Bumblebee could certainly have a nice effect on spin times. Maybe??

2 Likes

That’s why I like plastic transaxle loopers they loop super easy.

1 Like