How hard should I throw my breakaway, and my first trick, when I do the Ninja Vanish the yoyo responds and hits me into the hand. Is there something wrong with my yoyo?

First one, How hard should I throw my breakaways, Second, I am doing the Ninja Vanish, I did the slack and the yoyo responded back to me and hit me in the hand hard. Is there a reason why? When I bind it’s the same problem, hits me in the hand hard.

Thanks!

It would help if we knew what yoyo you were using. I’m guessing you’re using something responsive (yoyo that comes back to your hand with a tug) rather than something unresponsive (yoyo that doesn’t come up with a tug) which is required to do Ninja Vanish.

It sounds like you’re at the beginning stages of your yoyo journey and should be focusing more on the basics first rather than jumping right into a slack trick my dude

I am using a unresponsive dude…

1 Like

Idk if I should clean my bearing if it’s causing the responsiveness.

I am using a Y01 Node.

Most likely that’s the case then. Has your bearing gotten louder and/or started to make almost crunchy/static noise? That’s a sign your bearing is dirty and locking up enough to cause response. Zippo lighter fluid, mineral spirits, 100% acetone will all work fine cleaning your bearing. Just make sure to dry it real good after because some solvents have water in them and that can also corrode a bearing over time

1 Like

Could be various things. Maybe your string tension is bad. Maybe there’s too much lube in the bearing. Maybe your string is too thick for the kind of yoyo you have. Maybe the yoyo isn’t an unresponsive as you think. If it’s coming back hard after a breakaway your probably throwing too hard.

If you’re out of ideas then clean the bearing (tons of videos out there on how to do it).

1 Like

Yeah, I feel like it’s the string tension… I only apply half a drop to my yoyo… and yeah, I throw my breakaways too hard.

Idk If I should switch to Nylon string.

Could be too much lube too. I use the tip of a safety pin to drop a dab of lube in my bearings, never straight from the nozzle that will almost always be too much

I know, also do you think Nylon string would work better?

What are you using now, just regular poly? String type shouldn’t matter too much, if your tension is good and it’s not overly thick XL string or anything

The power with which you throw your breakaway should not affect whether or not a yoyo responds. It is likely that you either need to clean your bearing or get a new bearing. If you want a truly unresponsive bearing right after cleaning, avoid using lube because lube requires a break-in period for the yoyo to return to unresponsive play even when applying the tiniest amount. Lube increases the life of a bearing, but it also increases the responsiveness of a yoyo.

I may be in the minority here, but when a bearing gets to the point where it responds when doing something like a ninja vanish, 80% of the time the bearing will never be as good as a quality brand new bearing even when properly cleaned.

I have also noticed that the quality of bearings has diminished in the past few years so I would recommend you buy a pack of bearings because I have experienced failure from about 30% of the bearings I have bought in the last few years. I have also heard this sentiment from others about bearings not being as good as they used to.