How durable are wood yoyos? Show me your most "loved" wood!

When looking at Fixed Axle Friday Throws, and the excitement over the Eh re-release, I wonder – exactly how durable are wooden yo-yos?

I know the Tom Kuhn No Jives have a cool replaceable wooden axle sleeve, but that doesn’t cover the inner response area which would also theoretically wear down over time. So I’m curious… how long does it take to “wear out” a wooden yo-yo? Is that even possible? What happens when you do wear it out? What does that look like?

I’d like to see! Post pics of your most “well loved” wooden yo-yos, and spin us a yarn! Tell us how long have you had them and how often did you throw them? Share some pics of the good wood!

(Will there be interesting wooden yoyo prizes for the best posts in this topic? I don’t know… mayyybe? :wink: )

6 Likes

In anticipation for the @edhaponik EH 2018 release I had been playing my TMBR Oak Sullivan a lot and I accidentally sat on it. Luckily Colin and TMBR has extra replacement axles. 20181221_172304 20181221_172332

6 Likes

Pretty durable. In my experience, a well-made wooden yo-yo will take as much abuse as a lot of plastics and retain playability. And they’re easy to sand (and in some cases BEND) back into shape when/if they get super banged up. I’ve never seen a wood yo-yo “wear out” (besides the axle) from regular play. All of these yo-yo’s are still a delight to play, can hit whatever I want to throw at em, and if they feel too jagged need a few minutes with some 320 grit.

Here’s a few of mine.
IMG_7305
My 1st No Jive. My main yo-yo for about 4 years.
1st Clean Machine (unfinished, although used so much it looks glossy), complete with scars from when Tyler Severance snapped a string with it and banked it off his house at ECC 08.
My 1st production run eH. No shortage of dogs walked or creepers creeped on concrete, gravel, or wherever.
My original eH from SPYY. Was an extension of my hand for a year solid.

16 Likes

Very cool! Can we see interior shots of the take-apart ones?

8 Likes

Interesting, so you drill response holes into your no-jives? And what’s on the far right one?

No those are the eH’s. One No Jive has a dead linen friction sticker (the original eH does also). I’ve never structurally modded a No Jive.

1 Like

Oh riiiiiiiiight I was looking at that picture the wrong way. Interestingly, the No Jive engraving ends up being a bit of a “response groove” when you reverse a 3-in-1, I hadn’t considered that :thinking:

Semantics perhaps, but this kind of No Jive is stamped, as opposed to engraved (like the mandalas are). The stamp offers virtually no additional response. Flipping a mandala butterfly is a different story (and not a particularly pleasant one).

2 Likes

LOL I bet! There are some intricate carvings / engravings on some of those!

2 Likes

2015 Baldwin! I’m pretty fearless with this thing, though I haven’t walked the dog on concrete. Took many catches to get this beautiful shiny brown finish.

Bought it in January 2016 at the Virginia State Yo-Yo Contest. It’s my standard to compare all wood yo-yos against.

Durability? Overtightened the axle once and replaced it. The maple body will last a lifetime. I’ve long since smoothed out the edges of the wood tapping process around the response area as you can see. Can’t imagine it ever wearing out. Just the axle is possible (but doubtful).

8 Likes

That is awesome, can I see an interior shot as well (disassembled, it looks like it comes apart)?

1 Like

For you? Done!

2 Likes

Anyone else got any well-loved wood to show off here? The more worn and played the better!

It occurs to me that wood enthusiasts are already going to already own anything I could possibly award, and probably much nicer stuff to boot. :man_shrugging:

My 12 and 13 eH’s are super beat but still a delight to throw.

And then… I mean… I ran over this one in my Tahoe… Still plays great!
image image

15 Likes

BC spitfire. One of my favorites.

IMG_0078_v1 IMG_8475_v1

9 Likes

flipping the Play Simply No Jive is also not the most pleasant experience either :wink:

2 Likes

I bought this guy when I was 10 years old after seeing Tom Smothers do his thing. Played it for about 2 years straight and definitely walked the dog on cement. Over 30 years later it still plays pretty good for an antique.

5 Likes

Anyone else got some ultra-loved wood to show off? Nobody’s beating Ed at this game, clearly…

On a related topic, how water resistant are wood fixed axels? How would one play wet? (I’m wondering about taking one on a canoeing trip.)