How do you prevent birdnesting?

I finally have the bind down. (A violent throw is key) The problem comes in getting to throw the yo again. Every time I bind, the tail gets bound up inside the yo and either snags on the release or gets completely tangled so that I have to dismantle the yo to free it. What can I do to prevent this? Thanks in advance. Chris

5 Likes

a violent throw is not core to a good bind. sometimes the best binds can from low rpms. it really just depends how you bind it, the size of the tail, the direction of the spin of the yoyo, and how fast its spinning. if it has a slow spin, throw in a larger tail. if you bind it straight in from a throw, place a very small tail. these things are what keeping your throws from binding correctly.

4 Likes

Keep working on it. Practice practice practice. A day will come when you don’t even think about that.

4 Likes

let me clarify. A violent throw followed by a tight bind is the key to snagging. Try slowing down your throw. I believe you bind by throwing the string down the yoyo? Try pinching the string and feeding it around the bearing.

5 Likes

I have had this issue from time to time, especially when I first learned to bind. What knowledgeablepixels said is right. It sounds like you’re dealing with binds that are too tight. To add a little more to what knowledgeablepixels said, I’ve found that you can get tangles in a bind because the yoyo’s response system is more aggressive and pulls string into the gap in a way that creates a tangle. I always shorten the tail (the loop you hold with your free hand) a little when I have this issue and lengthen that tail if the response system is less aggressive or is starting to wear out. It’s just a matter of trial and error. If the tail is too short, the bind slips and you have to lengthen the tail and try again.

2 Likes

Well you see, if violence isn’t working to solve your problem, that’s because YOU AREN’T USING ENOUGH OF IT

14 Likes

I died with your comment codinghorror! :sweat_smile::joy::rofl::sob:

3 Likes

It’s true tho.

Hahaha solid. B+