How do you choose which Yoyo to throw?!?

So I’ve been throwing bout 4 months now, and have acquired 4 Yoyos. Wooden fixie, the sage by ■■■■■■■■■■, Duncan roadrunner, and a Yyf Paolista. It’s kinda hard to pick what Yoyo I want on me for the day… I like them all! How do y’all pick what Yoyo to throw day to day. Especially for those of y’all who have 10+ !!

I have yoyos that don’t leave the house - the more expensive ones I prefer to play over carpet.
Other than that I have a few i just kinda rotate at random to take with me places: usually a Komodo or TopDeck

6 Likes

keep playing with one until you understand exactly how it plays/gets a tad boring

3 Likes

At one point, yoyos were like Pokemon…had to “catch 'em all” as I was exploring different shapes, sizes, materials. My collection now has a broad range of throws and during my collect-a-thon phase, it ended up being whatever design caught my eye and what kind of shape I didn’t have yet. Of course, also at the time was keeping budget in mind…like, was I mentally ready to throw down 3 digits on a yoyo or spend over $50? I took “baby steps” to get to the deep end and of course, at the time I was wanting my first metal throws, many weren’t quite “budget friendly” yet. It was living off of b-grade purchases from yoyo contests.

Today, it’s basically “what looks unique to me” or “don’t have much of in my collection” and color has to catch my eye. Lately, been developing an interest in semi-older designs that were around when I first started but couldn’t justify the cost…hence my recent purchase of a YYJ Eneme (scored it for half the original price, don’t think I would have paid the full price it once sold for but its asking sale price was worth it).

4 Likes

If I’m taking a throw with me anywhere, I’ll usually grab something on the cheaper end that’s expendable in case something happens to it. So Shutter, Silenus, Impulse, Colossus IV, or one of my b-grade YYFs. I also have a case that fits two throws so I usually have two to choose from.

If it’s not a Moose I’d typically play with the first yo-yo I reach for.

It’s a Recess First Base isn’t it

1 Like

Play with a different one each day.

1 Like

I don’t choose which yoyo to throw.

…Yoyo chooses me.

5 Likes

When I buy I new throw I usually try to just throw that one for a week so I can get a feel for it. After the honeymoon phase wears off I’ll normally just rotate between my favorites.

If I’m going out and I know pocket space is limited, I’ll probably just grab a Slimline like a deep state or Alleycat.

4 Likes

I used to pick out one each day, but lately I’ve been picking seven for the week. Usually it’s something like…

1- Heavy
1- Light
1- Big
1- Small
1- One Drop
1- G2
1- Fixie

2 Likes

What I will be doing that day affects it. If I have class or meetings all day I’ll bring a responsive (usually Deep State), mostly for when walking around. If I am working in my office I’ll bring an unresponsive.

3 Likes
  1. Pick a category (unresponsive, fixed axle, responsive/slimline, looping)
  2. Decide whether the circumstances of my day/where I am going will result in situations where I would regret bringing an expensive yoyo (likelihood I will ding it, if kids will be around and want to play with it, etc).
  3. Quickly browse my options and pick one on impulse (or if I already felt the desire to play with a certain yoyo, just pick that one).

It isn’t really a situation in which I like to be indecisive about for more than 20-30 seconds. It’s like a browse, browse, screw it, this one kind of thing. If I am playing next to my collection I sometimes switch it up every few throws just to rotate through and feel the nuances.

As some others have said, if I buy a new yoyo I will usually choose that one for about a week or so just to break it in and get a feel for it.

3 Likes