How do I get this bearing out?

The screw is preventing me from using a multi tool, and I’ve tried using pliers.(it’s a yyf sage yoyo)

1 Like

Do you have a small socket wrench set?

1 Like

You can’t remove the cap and then the bolt?

1 Like

One of my throws has a set axle that can’t be removed without damaging it or the yo-yo, and no access from the cup side, I’ve had to use a small socket on that one to wiggle the bearing out

2 Likes

Nice. Beats making a tool.

1 Like

Most definitely

1 Like

I had this same scenario pop up not too long ago ended up ordering a magicyoyo bearing removal tool from Amazon.

They’re hollow in the center so it’ll fit into the bearing without the axle preventing it. And pretty good length so you have decent leverage even without being able to wiggle them too much.

2 Likes

You could even try screwing the yo-yo back together in hopes that when you pull it apart, the bearing will end up on the other half. It’s happened to me. Not sure about plastic though.

i use a pair of slip-joint pliers (small channel lock or equivalent). i grab the bearing from the top and rock it back and forth gently until it pops off. mind the tips of the plier jaws and make sure they aren’t contacting the throw. i haven’t hurt a bearing yet. just be careful and work slowly, should come out.

kgb

How do you remove the cap?

In the old days we used the bolt. You place the half bolt down on the carpet and push. At least on Duncan’s. The bolt pushes the cap off.

I just looked this up because this is a NEW version of the Sage, right? Do not remove the cap, it won’t help you. This yo-yo is structured like the Arrow yoyo, it has an aluminum hub that is also the bearing seat - no spacers.

You will need a bearing tool with a hollow center (like a tube) to go over the axle or a small socket as mentioned above. Otherwise, use a pair of plier to gently grab around the outer edge of the bearing using the circular depression that is cut out around the wire cutter - not the wire cutters themselves.

The key is to gently rock back and forth and the bearing will gradually come loose.

4 Likes

If this is the first time you are taking it apart, it is likely that the bearing post is quite tight. It worth noting that it likely won’t be as hard to remove after.
It may also be a good idea to put a little bit of bearing lube on both bearing posts before reassembling. It will reduce galling (metal-on-metal wear) and make it easier to remove in the future.

2 Likes

Hardware stores sell small section of strait steel tubing of various sizes. You can usually get a 1/4 in. OD tube in either 6 in. or 12 in. lengths. Use it like a normal bearing tool.

3 Likes

I came here to say this. Best tool to just leave in my kit all the time.