How do General-Yo's other yoyos compare to the Hatrick, 5 Star, and Mini Star?

Hi everyone, I stopped throwing around 2002 and have recently gotten back into it. I never really tried unresponsive yo-yos until now (fun as hell!), and I’m looking for a smooth throw with a good spin time. General-Yo seems to get high marks on here, but obviously the Hatrick, 5 Star, and Mini Star are seemingly impossible to find. So I’m wondering: how do their other yo-yos stack up against those 3? Or what other comparable yo-yos should I look into?

I’ve owned all three since their release, and without getting too nostalgic, those three are pretty undersized compared to the rest of General Yo’s later models and modern competition throws in general. They are also a bit lighter than General Yo’s later models - there wasn’t much made under 66-7g post 2012ish, if any. These three yo-yos are among a select few that really helped bring to light what “glass smooth” meant in the minds of throwers. I still perfectly remember throwing my Hatrick for the first time at Nats 2009 because not too many yo-yos felt like that at the time. There were some exceptions, like the 888 and Oxy stuff but the Hatrick definitely stood out to me amongst everything being offered at the time due to its smoothness. It’s crazy though now, cause ALL yo-yos are pretty much that smooth. But yeah dude… if you like heavier throws with beadblast finish, later General Yo will definitely fit the bill. You can pick them up cheap too since they aren’t as sought after compared to the earlier models. Highly recommend the Majesty by the way, I think it’s probably their best all around throw and I’m sure most people who’ve tried a bunch of General Yo’s will agree - seems to be the collective opinion (and it’s their most popular model in terms of sales I believe).

2 Likes

I love old general yos! That said only one general yo is in my top 5 and it is the mini star 2. I buy nearly every undersized throw to try to dethrone this thing, yet it still sits top of its class for small yoyos.

4 Likes

Awesome. Thank you. Feel like if I would’ve stayed into yo-yoing, I might have a Hatrick. Then again probably would’ve had to sell it because I would’ve been buying up every other that came out too, lol.

If you don’t mind me asking, what others are in your top 5?

G2 warthog, clyw avalanche, yoyofreaks your mom, and turning point leviathan are my current rest of my top 5.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with this. Literally none of my other undersized yoyos even come close to playing as well as the Mini Star 2 (and I own a ton of them). If only I can get another one to be my edc…

2 Likes