How did you get into yoyoing?

A few people at mah school got one. I was so amazed by thumb grinds and Matrix that I bought one within the next week.

my mom brought me a reflex and fireball the next month almost everyone at school was doing it

one of my friends started one day. i liked it so i got a freehand 2 from toysrus. then i got a legacy, then maverick, then new breed, then protostar and on and on and on

SuperYoYo! Episodes…

Back when I was a kid I used to watch those and got me into yoyoing.

John Higby, all of you should bow down and kiss his feet. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 or 5 years back, My cousins started, I was a 6 year old, got a fireball, did a lot of looping on it, stopped, the my bro started again, (bonesraphs) and I got serious, and was about 9 then.

Well when I was in the third grade yo-yo’s got really big, I bought several cheap plays and I’m pretty positive there is a Yomega Firestorm in a box somewhere in my parent’s garage.

This last semester one of my fraternity brothers picked up some freeby cheap yo-yo’s that we all sort of played around with while waiting on rounds of Smash Bro’s and Mario Party. I got nostalgic and bought a bumblebee, then right about finals week I found YYE and really got into playing around.

well a few months before my b-day for no reason i just wanted a yoyo. I didn’t know why. And around my home kids know so little about yoyos when i first saw a raider i thougt it was cheating with ball bearings ;D.now about 4 monthes later i know kwijibo and own an 888 and protostar.

I saw Grant Johnson’s very first video on a show called Rude Tube where they always show 20 popular youtube videos to a certain subject, I even think that Grant was on 2 different episodes on that show, I dunno.
Well it was late into the night when the show came and I was sitting on my computer and I was so amazed I instantly looked for a yoyo tutorial on youtube and no I did not find André first lol, I actually found some 90’s video from a VHS someone got given out at his school with Arne Dixon I think that was his name, and I was surprised that tricks like Loop the Loop and Walk the Dog were beginner tricks and I thought if that stuff is for beginners, what will I be able to do when I get better, so I bought a YYJ Sunset Trajectory and somehow found André’s tutorials.

I thought that because the Sunset Trajectory is modified shape I could loop and do string tricks, well wrong I guess. So I spend like 2 Months with this yoyo not being able to learn more because I was stuck at tricks like Brain twister or Split the atom. So one day while I was purchasing some string I decided to buy a Duncan Butterfly with it, back then I didn’t know that any yoyo with fixed axle is just useless for harder tricks, and well I looked for a butterfly yoyo with a ball bearing then and found the F.A.S.T. 201, yay another bad investation, I spend another month with it till I finally maned up and bought a YYJ Legacy, I was so amazed how good this yoyo was I learned all the tricks with ease.
And then another month or so later I saw the Dv888 was off and I was craving for a new yoyo so here we are now I have my Dv888 and this is my excuse why my hardest tricks I can do after like 5 months or so are the matrix, zipper thumbs grinds. Also I often like to repeat tricks I already can easily just because it’s so great to be able to do such a beatiful thing like yoyoing so easily, instead of learning new tricks.

Damn, that was a loooot of text.

Early high school rivalry

Nice, did you always win? ;D

ma’ boyfrenn’.

I was youtubing and found a video of Mickey… I was like holy crap!! I can do that… I have a FAST 201 from like KB toys or somthing… That started it…

Yo-yos were a strong part of my childhood for several years…so long story ahead.
I got into yo-yoing back in mid 1995 when my cousin got some party favor yo-yo from the dentist office. My cousin and I were having contests seeing who can ‘dribble’ the yo-yo the longest. That night my mom bought us some cheap Imperial knock-off from the supermarket (Ja-Ru ring a bell?). I played with it for a couple days and got bored. A few weeks later, I saw some guy messing with a Yomega Brain doing a sleeper and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I thought it went down, stalled, and sprung back up. I quickly found out where he bought it and went to the mall that weekend to get one. Unfortunately, didn’t have the $10, only had a $5 in my pocket. I walked into KB toys and bought a Duncan Imperial instead as I knew the brand was good. Messing with it while my parents dragged me into the boring stores, I learned how to properly throw and became hooked. Since, I bought pretty much very Imperial variation I could find (different colors, editions, etc).I started the yo-yo fad at my school in the 6th grade when I saw some kid with a freebie yo-yo. Next day I snuck my Brain-yo to school and showed him some stuff. My other friends caught on and came the following day with various Duncans. After a couple weeks we got caught, and about a week later, we got yo-yos to not be banned at school and everyone was doing it. That summer, I made countless trips to the local independently owned toy shop to see what kind of higher-tech yo-yos they had (Like Yomegas, Technics, etc). It lasted until freshman year in high school (1999, yo-yo boom era). This is also when I lost my bearing to my Raider as it flew apart during a Brain Twister outside in the grass. I pretty much mastered “All” of the tricks and Split the atom was probably the hardest then. My best yo-yo at the time was my Yomega Raider, that thing seemed to sleep forever (30 seconds was a lot back then).

Fast forward to today, everything I learned as a kid are now basic tricks. I once again have a long road ahead of me with these new tricks and styles of play. I recently got back into it last year (2009) when my parents bought me an Imperial for my birthday as a gag gift. I took the gag seriously and got back into messing around. Not knowing where my bearing yo-yos were (Yomega Raider) I went and bought a Mosquito as it was only $5 to get back into it. It kinda died off until my niece came with a yo-yo she got from school and had me show her some tricks as my parents told her I can do a lot of tricks. Having shopped for Easter gifts for my niece, I came across Freehands at Toys R Us and really wanted one. I eventually made my way over there about a month later and bought one of the new 2010 models, which I call the Freehand 2.5. Getting back into it has gotten my brother also interested and now we’re just waiting for our Mavericks to come in.

My current lineup is: Freehand 2.5 (2010 Model), Mosquito, Pocket Pros Zombie, Dragonfly, Limelight, Saber Fireball w/ bearing, Firestorm (McDonalds Version), Fireball, some Imperials, Raider, Classic Brain, and Yomega Maverick when it arrives.

^ back in '87

well my team mate was messing around with a yoyo one day while we were waiting for our wrestling match to start i thought it was lame at first. then he started geting prity good he was playing with a journey which he gave to me when he got a protostar. i started for a while then stoped for about a year and just picked it up again about 2 months ago and have been buring through tricks ever since.with the help of my friend of course.

Went to my friends bday and he was doing eli hops… I’ve surpassed his skill level since then

meeeeee toooo

except I got a boomerang (transaxle) and I threw an around the world one day, in the wilderness, the string snapped and the rest is history. upgraded to a peterfish, modded it, stripped the axle upgraded to a leagacy, upgraded to a y factor.

i remember i started a yoyo boom t my school in fifth…got made fun of so i quit a while then i started again in sixth and here i am in ninth still going strong

S…s… SOOOPAH NECRO!