How come we don't see this shape much anymore?

(ClockMonsterLA) #1

I guess this is an “O with wings”. OW shape? :thinking:

this looks more like a v to me.

(Mk1 Yoyos) #3

I’ve seen that called step round, or O with a tiny bit of H thrown in.

I think one of the reasons you see it less frequently now is because it’s a lot less forgiving to off-axis and sloppy play. So, that first section closer to the gap is going to have a response bump, or be straight, or even inverse-round to reduce string friction.

(ClockMonsterLA) #5

But isn’t that largely the case with all true organics? Organics seem to be in vogue lately, so those traits aren’t viewed as deficiencies so much right now.

({John15}) #6

Three yo-yos in recent times have been on the market with this particular trait. One being the one drop mantis, the one drop Kraken, and the recently retired G2 Hawk.

(ClockMonsterLA) #7

Ah yes, the G2 Hawk! It has less pronounced separation from the “wing”, but it certainly does share aesthetic kinship with the TiWalker. However, to be honest, when I look at the profile of the Mantis, I don’t see the similarity.

({John15}) #8

Really? Not even sort of similar? I personally don’t think it’s that much of a stretch. Sure, the Mantis has more of a V shape to it, but it’s the same general idea of the bumps on the rims.

(ClockMonsterLA) #9

I guess what I’m focusing on is the strong O profile in which the outer half is a rounded W-like wing.

(ChrisFrancz) #10

You saw this kind of weight ring bump a bunch on older yo-yos, e.g. the Genesis

It’s kinda fallen out of favor and aesthetically speaking I have to say I don’t particularly care for it either. You can add weight on the “underside” of the rim, and that’s how most do it these days.

(ClockMonsterLA) #12

I think the shape looks very inviting. Maybe I should be looking for a used Genesis? Or are those as rare and collector-pricey as TiWalkers?

I frankly think it sucks (as a look, the Genesis is a fine yo-yo). But to each his own! In the end that weight bump on the outside is 100% an aesthetics / design choice.

(G2 Jake) #14

See the Reaper V7 and production

(InvaderDust) #15

If you are on the hunt for a Genesis, look for the Doomsday (7076) version. Its my favorite by far of this shape. One of my 4 desert island yoyos…

(ClockMonsterLA) #16

The Reaper looks like a more refined take on the shape. Less bulbous (than the TiWalker) and with fine crease lines, like the Hawk, which strikes me as a modern aesthetic touch. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the Reaper.

(ClockMonsterLA) #17

Actually, the more images of the Genesis I examine, the more it’s shape looks like a Mowl M+ (of which I have two, yay!) to me.

Would you count this as an O with wings?

(ClockMonsterLA) #19

I would count that as an O with very rounded (and large) wings, yes.

MFD Prime8 has that shape. I love it - it’s like the old SPYY Punchline - one of my faves of all time!

I actually have a genesis here I could sell you for cheap, but it’s (from the factory, don’t blame me this time) a half-swapped red/blue with USA stars on one side. It is one of the newer ones without the axle hole though.