How come we don't see this shape much anymore?

I guess this is an “O with wings”. OW shape? :thinking:

TiWalker-04

6 Likes

this looks more like a v to me.

1 Like

I’ve seen that called step round, or O with a tiny bit of H thrown in.

I think one of the reasons you see it less frequently now is because it’s a lot less forgiving to off-axis and sloppy play. So, that first section closer to the gap is going to have a response bump, or be straight, or even inverse-round to reduce string friction.

5 Likes

But isn’t that largely the case with all true organics? Organics seem to be in vogue lately, so those traits aren’t viewed as deficiencies so much right now.

1 Like

Three yo-yos in recent times have been on the market with this particular trait. One being the one drop mantis, the one drop Kraken, and the recently retired G2 Hawk.

Ah yes, the G2 Hawk! It has less pronounced separation from the “wing”, but it certainly does share aesthetic kinship with the TiWalker. However, to be honest, when I look at the profile of the Mantis, I don’t see the similarity.

Really? Not even sort of similar? I personally don’t think it’s that much of a stretch. Sure, the Mantis has more of a V shape to it, but it’s the same general idea of the bumps on the rims.

I guess what I’m focusing on is the strong O profile in which the outer half is a rounded W-like wing.

2 Likes

You saw this kind of weight ring bump a bunch on older yo-yos, e.g. the Genesis

It’s kinda fallen out of favor and aesthetically speaking I have to say I don’t particularly care for it either. You can add weight on the “underside” of the rim, and that’s how most do it these days.

1 Like

I think the shape looks very inviting. Maybe I should be looking for a used Genesis? Or are those as rare and collector-pricey as TiWalkers?

I frankly think it sucks (as a look, the Genesis is a fine yo-yo). But to each his own! In the end that weight bump on the outside is 100% an aesthetics / design choice.

See the Reaper V7 and production

3 Likes

If you are on the hunt for a Genesis, look for the Doomsday (7076) version. Its my favorite by far of this shape. One of my 4 desert island yoyos…

1 Like

The Reaper looks like a more refined take on the shape. Less bulbous (than the TiWalker) and with fine crease lines, like the Hawk, which strikes me as a modern aesthetic touch. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the Reaper.

1 Like

Actually, the more images of the Genesis I examine, the more it’s shape looks like a Mowl M+ (of which I have two, yay!) to me.

20190110_155645

Would you count this as an O with wings?

2 Likes

I would count that as an O with very rounded (and large) wings, yes.

3 Likes

MFD Prime8 has that shape. I love it - it’s like the old SPYY Punchline - one of my faves of all time!

3 Likes

I actually have a genesis here I could sell you for cheap, but it’s (from the factory, don’t blame me this time) a half-swapped red/blue with USA stars on one side. It is one of the newer ones without the axle hole though.