What shape?

what shape would yall call this avalanche? it’s listed on the yoyo database site as a v, but it looks more w with the angled rims. not that it matters just curious

2 Likes

I stopped trying to wrap my head around yoyo shapes :joy: I know organic and not-organic. Pretty sure you got a not-organic there :rofl::rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

while it is ever so slightly rounded, i concur…not organic :laughing:

3 Likes

I was looking a little more. The rims do have some roundness. Maybe it’s a organicish WV? I dunno man….

I think it may be a little less organic. :rofl:

1 Like

my first thought was that it had elements of all 3, that’s what made me wonder and start to look into it

1 Like

Looks like a pretty typical wing shape to me, maybe a little H if it has a response bump

Its an earlier rendition of a W, so its not as wide or aggressive as contemporary Ws. The Avalanche has been around for a while.

2 Likes

I would call it a rounded W-Shape.

2 Likes

That is definitely a W shape in my book, but it is not very agressive.

Ive never played an avalanche, but by the looks it is probably more stable than a hard organic. It seems a bit narrow by today’s standards, but it probably has some fairly common specs to its contemporaries in the 2010s. It should be a fairly competent throw if you are fine with the gap size though, and the shape certainly helps it find the string.

Looks like a fun throw, but IMO to me it would be tough to stomach the $100 msrp for a new one considering its nearly a 15-year-old design and 6061 aluminum.

I may have gone down a rabbit hole… W shape :laughing::sweat_smile:.

3 Likes

thats ok I’m way too noobish for things like that to hold me back or even be noticeable if I’m being honest. I’m starting to explore the idea of different shapes and compositions for a purchase at the end of the month, but so far the avalanche is all i really know. i have a rcs yonami code too which is hard h but i haven’t used that nearly as much. partly because it’s a clear anno but isn’t blasted so it feels grippy

I feel that. W and H are my favorite shapes. Honestly most yoyos are a mixture of shapes for sure. I try not to get yoyos that are too similar, so I started by using different shapes as well and now I am paying more attention to weights and material lol. I’m enjoying bimetals a whole lot more these days.

I still havent found an organic I love, even though it is a popular shape. I did just order an atonement, which is an O shape with 7075 aluminum and brass rings. Im excited to try it.

If you want a similar shape to the avalanche, try the YoyoFriends Shortcut for $30. I don’t have one but a lot of people like it.

My favorite plastic is the C3 Speedaholic XX.

You can’t go wrong with a Shutter either.

Neither of those three break the bank.

If you want to try a monometal that is a different type of aluminum, find yourself a Graviton:Y. It is made with 7068 aluminum. I also don’t have this one but it is on my list. YoyoFriends is great at what they do so I imagine it is a really good yoyo.

Just a few suggestions, but there are tons of great yoyos out there to choose from. Its haed not to buy them all :laughing:.

this one caught my eye and looks really kool imo i also like the name and story

these are the other two bi metals that looked interesting to me but they’re pretty new so i can’t find much of any opinions on those

1 Like