How big of a deal is string?

I’ve tried a few types of string and bulk is good enough for me if I were to buy some I’d go with Kitty String or Buddy Jim’s.

I use kitty string fat for yoyos that have wide gaps, normal poly for ones with smaller gaps, and cotton 8 for wooden fixed axle yoyos, and cotton type 9 for looping.
I have used most other string but 20+ years of cotton or poly has directed my preferences. 100% cotton or 100% poly, is what i go for.

I use Surelock, Maxi-lock, or Toldi-lock brand 100% polyester thread for overlock machines to make my string. slacks great, binds nice. i do twelve wraps of string, ten feet apart, and twist with a drill until the twist is 9 feet long. hope this helps!

1 Like

Got the Toxic Dragon string the other day. I’ve got a few hours with it now and I have to admit it is noticeably easier to work with than the generic bulk poly I currently have. My only issue is that it slips a little on my throwhand string finger. I think I’ll try Kitty string next. Perhaps it performs somewhere in between generic poly and the stiff handmade Toxic.

For me after using toxic bg1s and my own string, I cant go back to reg poly. I like it a lot thicker now.

After using my own strings for over half a year, I find it very difficult to go back to stock strings. They feel cheaper, are lighter, not stiff, and fray heavily after about half an hour. Not to say you can’t do the same stuff with them as you can with other string, I just like the feel of mine more.

Having string is a big deal! Kind of hard to yo without it. ::slight_smile: Type of string not so much. Yeah I like some better than others but once I’ve played whatever for a bit, it works just fine. Unless, yes a disclaimer, I have poly and a fixed wooden axle, that’s like not having string at all. :-[

String is to yoyos as tires are to cars.

1 Like

I recently bought some dragon markmont string and it has lasted me 2 weeks of constant play, the string is also waterproof which is good for me because i mainly yoyo outside i highly recommend this string to anyone that likes a long life on their string

Possibly a big enough deal to write a blog for a year.

-Jacob

that’s cool, makes me want to try making my own string.

I followed that blog. Ed and Steve are two of my favorite people to read yoyoing thoughts from. I don’t suppose you’re the Jacob Deffenbaugh from the blog?

this is so freaking true.

Am I the only person who uses G-string?

Probably since most of us are guys and I for one wouldn’t deal to well with a piece of string going up my behind. But whatever floats your boat.

LMAO. J/K

1 Like