Horrible news-Frank ‘Konkave’ Difeo has passed away

My wife just called me about 10 minutes ago. She told me that Frank’s’ Wife Called the home phone to reach me.

My wife wasn’t sure whether to call me at work or just wait till I got home? She knew I’d get upset either way. But she also knew that Frank and I were Very close friends. I’m posting this here because I know a lot of you guys that have been around for a while were friends with Frank too.

I can’t even think of anything bad to say about Frank? He was just a sweetheart, and one hell of a nice guy. He went out of his way out for other people. He never hesitated to step in and help somebody he knew, or hardly even knew if they were in some kind of jam.

My wife related to me, Frank died suddenly at home. I will post further details if the family allows in the next few days.

Right now, his family is not taking any type of calls if you happen to know his numbers. He passed away so fast, they’re just not sure what to do.

For those that may be interested in the next several days or so I will let you know what’s up as it’s related to me.

I feel like somebody hit me in the back with a fire axe.

I’ve never figured out whether it’s better to pass away after a long illness or to pass away suddenly even though the end result is the same.

I guess the ‘suddenly’ part, just hits you right in the face.

He just left me a voice message yesterday to call him up. I just figured, OK, I’ll call him back in a couple of days.

So much for thinking.

RIP… Frank was one heck of a guy.

That’s all I got at the moment.

From Mo

125 Likes

Wow…he will be greatly missed.

16 Likes

My condolences to you Doc and Franks family. As someone new to the community I’m thankful for all Frank has done to make this hobby of ours an even more enjoyable one.

13 Likes

This is tragic. I’m really sorry to hear it, Doc.

12 Likes

I’m sad I will never get to meet Frank! I feel I would be better for it.

Sorry for your loss, Mo.

10 Likes

This is so heartbreaking to hear. Wow this is terrible :broken_heart:

10 Likes

He will be missed. o7

8 Likes

this is heartbreaking :frowning:

11 Likes

I’m speechless. I loved Frank.

21 Likes

Rest in Peace Frank. Thank you for all you did for this amazing community! Your impact will be felt forever in the Yoyo community and beyond!

8 Likes

Oh man. That’s so sad to hear. Frank will be missed.

6 Likes

I didnt know Frank, but condolenses to everyone who was close with him.

6 Likes

Ohh… damn… I have no words. RIP Frank.

6 Likes

Requiescat in pace. I’ve bought a few yoyos off him over the years. Always a pleasure to deal with. Dif-e-Yo yoyo are all one of a kind. He will be missed for sure.

6 Likes

Thoughts and Prayers.

8 Likes

The community has lost a pillar. My condolences to his family.

15 Likes

The community has lost another amazing yo-yo man.

5 Likes

This is so sad to hear. Thank you Mo for passing on the information as difficult as it is.

I feel a lot of the newer generation wouldn’t know of Frank as much, but I hope people would realize that if not for Franks contributions to yoyo technology, we wouldn’t have the yoyos we have today.

I only had the pleasure to meet Frank once at a contest many years ago, and while out interaction was brief, I instantly felt good vibes from him and he was just a very laid back and friendly soul.

I wish well to his friends and family during this time.

14 Likes

Aw man, this is such a tragedy. I’m still really fairly new here, but I know this man was legendary and contributed so much to the world of yoyoing. Condolences to all who knew him.

5 Likes

From the man himself; Dif-e-Yo Yo-Yo's

I’ve made my living as a Tool Maker in the machine shop trade since I graduated from Trade School in 1970 and in 1995 started a small machine shop aside from my day job.
I always enjoyed making things from metal and especially anything custom or out of the ordinary.
Sometime in 1999 I became hooked collecting Vintage yoyo’s and something that surprised me at the time when I discovered Aluminum yoyo’s … with ball bearing axles even !!
I didn’t pay particular attention to the metal ones until the economy slowed around 2001 when work slowed in the shop and I started to tinker making Aluminum yoyo’s.
As the economy continued to slow, I had more time to experiment with yoyo making.
Well, … one thing led to another and I started making more yoyo’s and concentrated on improving the way a yoyo functioned.

My thoughts centered on the string rubbing the sides of the yoyo and concentrated making a Grooved bearing which worked well for a while with narrow gap yoyos.

But with the advancement of large gap yoyos in today’s modern yoyo designs the Grooved bearing became a hindrance.

The yoyo no longer played smooth and displayed inconsistent response with the string Trapped in the center and unable to move when needed.

These deciding factors led to the design and release of the Patented Dif-e-Yo KonKave bearing for smooth consistent play.

As for the different Dif-e-Yo yoyo designs … I start with an idea and experiment … first and foremost concentrating on function, and then incorporate visual design to compliment function.

Thanks to all that enjoy Dif-e-Yo yoyo’s.
Your positive response is Greatly appreciated.
You have made Dif-e-Yo what it is today.
Thanks also for taking time to read this brief History of a person who has become addicted to yoyo’s and I hope to be able to keep making yoyo’s for people to enjoy.
Best Regards, Frank

40 Likes